1.5kg scottch beef roast to cook, any recipies and

aw217, May 7, 12:47am
how long and at what temp do I cook it for to get medium cooked?

cookessentials, May 7, 1:33am
Is this Scotch Fillet?

cookessentials, May 7, 1:52am
2 kilogram piece Scotch fillet of beef
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4-6 large stems rosemary
1-2 bunches fresh sage

Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Line a baking tray with foil or baking paper.

Remove the beef from the refrigerator 1 hour before roasting. Keep well-covered. All meats especially larger pieces for roasting will cook better if cooked from room temperature and not directly from the refrigerator.

Place the beef on the prepared tray.

Season the beef with pepper and if wished a little salt. Place the herbs on top and secure with string or twine – but not a plastic twine as it will melt!

Roast in the preheated oven for 1¼ hours. This should give you medium-rare to medium. Best results will be gained by testing with a meat thermometer.

Stand the roast for 15 minutes before carving into thin slices.

cookessentials, May 7, 1:52am
If your fillet is more or less than 2 kilograms, allow 20 minutes per 500 grams for medium-rare meat.
When calculating how much beef to buy, allow 150 grams (uncooked weight) per person.
Do not roast any higher than 200ºC as the meat will shrink too much.
The beef can be roasted at 180ºC, but allow an extra 30 minutes’ cooking time.
Internal temperatures for meat when cooked are: 60ºC medium-rare, 65ºC medium, 75ºC well-done.

aw217, May 7, 2:21am
Thank you! it is a scottch fillet roast that is tied up with string from the local butcher shop. I will try it at 180c for 1 hour 20 . I must look for my meat thermometer.

fisher, Apr 13, 6:00pm
Cooky... nice combo of herbs. . :}I would go a step further and rub olive oil all over the meat. . crush the peppercorns and slice the sage. .
(dip for a minute or two in boiling water before slicing) and the rosemary and roll the meat in the herb/pepper mixture, pressing to ensure they stick... grind of rock salt and place on a layer of rosemary sprigs to roast just as you have said. . make gravy after removing sprigs. . My fav internal temp is 70c. .