Culling of the cookery books

Page 2 / 2
rainrain1, Jun 11, 4:55am
There's a lot of old girls recipes in the book cardiffgirl, and a few personalities as well. A great school fundraiser, I imagine it will sell fast, so be in!

petmacorpltd, Jun 11, 5:34am
Will you post the Farmhouse Fruit Cake recipe please rainrain1. Thanks.

rainrain1, Jun 11, 6:34am
Could do tomorrow, you will have to hope I don't forget :-)

nauru, Jun 11, 8:12am
I'm pleased to hear that I'm not the only one that has a liking for cookery books. I too have tried to cull my 40 odd year collection and like OP have spent hours doing it only to keep them all by packing some of the less used ones in a box and store them in the attic. I like to browse through the books I have for inspiration on can't be bothered cooking days. There are quite a few which are well used and as someone else said open at certain pages on their own, usually the dog eared stained ones. I also have notebooks with hand written recipes collected over the years, some of which have been handed down from my grandparents, parents and MIL. I have made notes against the recipes too for future reference. They will be given to my Granddaughter when she is older and hopefully interested in cooking.

rainrain1, Jun 11, 8:18am
Promise I won't forget though.

rainrain1, Jun 11, 11:31pm
Farmhouse Sultana Cake

500gr sultanas
250gr butter
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup oat bran
2 cups flour
2 tsp BP
¼ tsp salt
3 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla ess
1 tsp almond ess

Preheat oven to 175dC

Place sultanas in saucepan, cover with water and simmer 5 minutes. Drain. Add butter and sugar to the fruit and mix until butter has melted. In a bowl mix together the oat bran, flour, BP and salt. Add the beaten eggs and drained sultanas and essences. Mix well.

Spoon the batter into a greased lined 20cm square cake tin.

Bake for 1 hour. Turn down the oven to130dC and bake for a further 30 minutes.

sue62, Jul 4, 9:57pm
I have 2 of the Rally cookbooks and find them very useful.
I have a collection of 100's of the old fundraising type of collections put out by schools, churches etc.
Very hard to cull them, even though I don't use them regularly.
I sorted through my collection and put the best ones in my kitchen bookcase. The others are still in my general bookcase.
Do you think there would be any interest if I listed them on Trademe in lots of say 6 books?

punkinthefirst, Apr 9, 2:03am
Yes, indeedy! many people collect these books, because they have the best baking recipes.
I'm on to my second Rally cookbook. I bought it at a local religious bookshop, Pleroma, in Otane, so you may find one in a similar store near you, OP