SLOW

Page 1 / 2
tania209, May 6, 10:40am
x2
Has anyone checked out Allyson Goftens new cook book - is it a goodie?

herself, May 6, 10:55am
I had a quick look at it tonight at Whitcoulls. It is lovely to look at and quite extensive but a bit pricey for me at $39. 99 and then saw that that is the discounted price - by $20. 00! ! Wow. I think I will just use the Alison & Simon Holst and Joan Bishop slow cooking recipe books I already have.

245sam, May 6, 10:56am
tania209, I haven't yet "checked out" Allyson's new cook book but are you aware that she was on today's Good Morning?
The recipes for the dishes she prepared on the show are from her new book and they can also be found at:-

http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/allyson-gofton-s-slow-cooker-
recipes-6-may-3518639

tania209, May 6, 10:59am
Thanks guys - don't have a crockpot cookbook and would like to get one - thought hers looked like something sensible a family would get good use from. Appreciate your thoughts.

winnie15, May 7, 5:15am
Hi Tania, i bought this book on tuesday as the recipes looked good. Am cooking the dorset casserole tonight, will let you know what i think later on.

rainrain1, May 7, 5:27am
I don't like the name of it. . puts me off straight away

winnie15, May 7, 6:23am
ok well the casserole was divine, so tasty and fragrant!
I'm doing pea n ham soup tomorrow, , , , Yum!

griffo4, May 7, 8:43am
l saw a book review for Joan Bishop's slow cooker and crockpot book
(not sure if the title is right) and they said it was boring on the cover but when they sat down and read it they said there was some really good recipes and she said she had made a different recipe every day and her hubby was impressed and it is $29. 99
She gave it to a friend and said to read it properly and she found it a good book as well
l am going to have a look at it next time l am in town

sherralynne, May 8, 5:17am
We've just purchased Robyn Martin's new crockpot/slow cooker cookbook. The recipes are lovely and we're going to try some of them out. As a bonus, I'm going to attend a cooking demonstration by Robyn Martin here in Blenheim later in May, where she'll be cooking several dishes from this particular cookbook.

winnie15, May 8, 6:37am
Ooooo i made the pea and ham soup from "slow" and it would be the nicest pea and ham soup i have ever made.
i served it with chopped rosemary and it was divine! !

So yes #1 poster i would recommend the "slow" cook book!

findit1, May 8, 6:45am
winnie... can you pleeease tell me. . has it got minted peas' or ? ?
would love to try it ,
thanks

winnie15, May 8, 7:18am
no not minted peas... . i will post it later on.

maynard9, May 8, 8:24am
I went to Allyson's book launch in Palmerston North Library on thurs night. She is so lovely and natural and talked for an hour about the book - but more specifically about the nostaligic memories of food in her family life as she was growing up in Tasmania. She regularly deviates off the topic but in a very interesting and personal way and by the end you feel like you 'know' her and her family.
I decided against buying the book at this stage. I have a Library of my own, but will definetely get it out at a later stage from the Library. For anyone needing a slow cooker book it did look good.

sooseque, May 8, 9:21am
I just got Allyson's 'SLOW' books using my Westpac hot points

deus701, May 8, 11:36am
its $34. 95 at the warehouse. . saw the ad on tv

dbab, May 9, 2:34am
Yes deus, I got one at The Warehouse yesterday for $34. 95. I've had a quick look through and there are some delicious looking recipes in it.

lindasoptions, May 10, 1:13am
I was just wondering if anybody else has the same problem as me, I cut potatoes up into tiny cubes and they still won't cook same as carrots and other root veges, it is a Breville Slow Cooker, just thinking maybe I have a faulty cooker? ? ? Cook for the 8 hours as directed, the meat is perfect.

dbab, May 10, 2:08am
Apparently you are supposed to put the potatoes as close to the sides as possible, as that is where the most heat comes from.

winnie15, May 10, 10:50pm
i wonder if 'slicing the spuds thinly' would cook better than cubed?

vonkrum, May 11, 3:00am
The Alison Holst crockpot book is a really good one to buy if you havn't got one. Lots of lovely easy meals to try.

tixy, May 11, 3:43am
Isaw Allyson at her presentation in ChCH and I, too really enjoyed it.
Now I own a copy of her Slow book... And am really enjoying it - although I will confess that the dishes I have made from it, I have cooked in the oven!

The Highland Beef and Bacon Braise was really nice and last night we had Persian Lamb which we all enjoyed too. The Mushroom & Port soup is on the cards for tomorrows lunch -I'm a pushover when it comes to mushroom soup...

It is a thick book and I have found it more inspiring than Alison Holst's and Joan Bishop's books. I am very pleased with it.

winnie15, May 11, 5:44am
Yes tixy i have to agree!

winnie15, May 11, 10:03pm
Pea and Ham soup;
Serves 8-10
500 gms green or yellow split peas, rinsed and drained well. 1 lge ham bone (at least i kg), 2 onions peeled and chopped, 2 stalks celery washed and sliced, 2 potatoes peeled and diced, 8 cups water or light chicken or vege stock, 2 bay leaves or 1 bouquet garni, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or sage.

turn slow cooker on to low to pre-warm while preparing ingredients.
scatter split peas into the slow cooker. add ham bone, onions, celery, potaotes, water or stock and bay leaves and stir to mix the ingredients.
cover and cook on low for 7-9 hrs on jow or 4-5 hours on high.
Carefully remove the bacon bone , remove meat and shred or chop, remove bay leaves.
using a potato masher, mash the soup ingredients to make a chunky soup. Sitr in the shredded ham and season with the rosemary or sage, salt and pepper to taste.
---
[i used 4 chicken oxo cubes to 8 cups of water which was a bit too much salt wise... so i'd suggest perhaps 2 -3 oxo cubes - oh and the rosemary really makes this soup! ]

winnie15, May 11, 10:26pm
this really yummy!
DORSET STEAK & BEEF STEW:1kg stewing steak, cut into4 cm cubes, 1/4 cup flour, 1 tblsp brown sugar, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp beef stock pwdr, 1/4 tsp pepper.
SAUS MEATBALLS: 250 gms sausage meat, 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup currants or sultanas, 1 tblsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme.
SAUCE:1 medium onion, peeled and sliced, 1 cup beef stock, 1/2 cup port or red wine, 2 tblsp redcurrant or port wine jelly, 4 cloves.
METHOD:
Turn slow cooker on to low to pre-warm.
1. Mix together the flour sugar mustard stock pwdr and pepper. Toss the meat in the flour [this is best done in a plastic bag], shaking off excess and keep any remaining flour. .
In a seperate bowl mix together saus ingredients, roll into dstp size balls and toss in remaining flour.
Into the pre-warmed crockpot place beef, saus meatballs , onion, and rest of ingredients, stir as well as possible to mix, cover with lid.
cook on low for 5-7 hrs or high for 3-4 hrs.
VARIATIONS:
*use the meat from lamb or pork saus. Use flavoured saus will the vary the flavours too.
*use marmalade and medium sweet sherry in place of redcurrant or port wine jelly.
*Add vegs like carrots, parsnips, leeks and mushrooms to make a one-pot meal.
*replace the cloves with 2 blades of mace.

sniffer69, May 11, 11:17pm
I always parboil any veges before adding them to the slowcooker.