SLOW

Page 2 / 2
winnie15, May 11, 11:20pm
that is an excellent hint!

rainrain1, May 11, 11:24pm
Try cutting your potatoes into thin slices and then layer them under the meat... . . i don't have any success with carrots either

jaybee2003, May 17, 11:41pm
I think your cooker will be fine. I was reading some slow cooker hints somewhere recently from Alison & Simon Holst, and they said to always cook root vegetables UNDER the meat because root veges often take longer to cook than the meat, and that most people exect the meat to take the longest, but it doesn't.

For chops/chicken piece recipes etc, the root veges[carrots, potatoes etc] should go on the bottom, the meat next, then sauce over the lot. The layering of foods in crockpot recipes is important, and foods should be layered in the crockpot as in the recipe - providing the recipe is well written!

Hope that all helps.

winnie15, May 18, 12:40am
Alison Holst's Lazy Lasagne

500g minced beef
1 clove garlic chopped
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oreganum
1 x 400 g can whole or diced tomatoes in juice
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 packet tomato soup, or tomato and onion soup
2 tsp instant beef stock
1 Cup hot water
250g lasagne shapes or long strips

Topping:
1 cup gratedtasty cheese
2 tsp cornflour
1 egg
3/4 cup milk, sour cream, or a mixture of both
paprika

*Turn the slow cooker on to HIGH to preheat and coat the bowl with non-stick spray.
*Put the garlic and tomatoes [with any juice] into a food processor or large bowl and process or mash with a fork to break up the tomatoes.
*Add the soup mix, minced beef, tomato paste, stock , herbs and water then process or mix until well combined.
*Spread one third meat mixture into crockpot, place half the lasagne pieces over meat, layer another third of meat mixture, remaining lasagne ending with remaining meat.

*Mix Milk, egg, cornflour add cheese and mix.
*Pour this over everything in the slow cooker and sprinkle with paprika .
*Turn the slow cooker to LOW and cook for 8 - 9 hours.
*Serve with a green salad or cooked veges and garlic bread

lindasoptions, May 18, 12:48am
Thanks for all the help, I managed to cook them the other night, also put a layer of tin foil under the lid as I read on the threads somewhere, as the lid was wobbly and letting out the heat. I can cook up a storm now. Lasagne sounds nice.

tixy, May 18, 2:02am
I can second the Dorset Steak & Sausage Stew, we had it last night and really enjoyed it.
We can also vouch for the Mushroom & Port Soup and her Beef Olives were nice too. Pretty impressed so far!

winnie15, May 27, 10:34pm
i used tin foil on mine last night too, cos my lid has a gap too and anything i cook on high like macaroni cheese, drys out fast and cooks in 1 hour instead of the 2 they recommend.