Chilli Jam recipe with reduced tomatoes as a base

petal1955, Jul 7, 3:29am
Peter Gordon's Tomato & Chilli Jam

SERVES: MAKES 4 MEDIUM JARS

A lovely spicy mix with rich tomato and Asian flavours.

Peter Gordon, talented chef/owner of London restaurant The Providores, and consultant executive chef of the forthcoming Dine restaurant in Auckland's Sky City, was happy to share this recipe from his first book, The Sugar Club Cookbook (published in 1997).

500g very ripe tomatoes, washed
4 red chillies
4 cloves garlic, peeled
6cm piece ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
30mls Asian fish sauce
300g demerara sugar
100mls red wine vinegar

Mix half the tomatoes with the chillies, garlic, ginger and fish sauce to a fine purée in a blender. Cut the remaining tomatoes into tiny dice and set aside.

Place the purée, sugar and vinegar in a deep saucepan and slowly bring to a boil, stirring continually. When it reaches a boil turn it down to a gentle simmer and add the remaining diced tomatoes. Skim off any foam and cook gently for 30-40 minutes, stirring often to release the solids that settle on the bottom of the pan. Be sure to scrape the sides down during cooking so the jam does not burn at the edges.

When the jam is on setting point (has become very syrupy and very thick), pour into warmed sterilised jars and allow to cool. Cover and keep in a cool place; it will keep for several months.

cottagerose, Jul 8, 6:55am
Google Ruth Petty. She has a beautiful one. I've made the last 3 years and given several jars away. Everyone enjoyed it.
I don't buy sweet chilli sauce anymore as I use this

melford, Jul 9, 11:28am
also yoghurt based mayonnaise. Prefer recipes that have been tried please

petal1955, Mar 23, 4:49pm
x1