Do you call your evening meal, Dinner or Tea

Page 2 / 2
white_elephant, May 7, 2:38am
As a child we always said tea, everyone did, I remember the local mothers yelling 'get home in time for tea', or telling other kids to move on as it was 'tea time. ' My ex said dinner was the correct term in his family. I suppose dinner tells you it's a cooked meal, the biggest meal of the day, but I still don't know if one is right and one is wrong? Could it be a class thing, we were considered working class?

nelliebelle, May 7, 4:10am
When I was a child the evening meal was tea.
A cooked meal in the middle of the day was having "dinner for dinner" though usually we had "dinner for tea. "
We took our lunch to school, but Dad came home at midday for his dinner, even though it was his lunch, because dinner was at teatime... ... ... . .

mango5, May 7, 5:21am
Tea.

mango5, May 7, 5:21am
hehe, that was confusing to read. lol

toeblister, May 7, 5:30am
My (Adult) kids tell me when I say 'Be sure and come home for dinner' they know they are going to get something rather nice, a meal that has taken some time to prepare. They say when I say what shall we have for tea... ... they know to expect toasted sandwiches or the like lol

elliehen, May 7, 5:30am
Love it! Makes perfect sense :)

And it reminded me of a creative version of grace: "For bacon and eggs and hot buttered toast, thank Father, Son and Holy Ghost. "

Without hunting out the book to check the reference, I remember there was a character in one of Margaret Atwood's novels who liked to invent different versions of grace for his family.

eastie3, May 7, 5:40am
Eat dinner, drink tea.

accroul, May 7, 10:17pm
Both - depends on what falls out of my mouth at the time.

pvilz, May 7, 11:26pm
dinner.

andrea1978, May 8, 12:19am
as a kid, tea - but now i call it dinner.

groomingtools, May 8, 4:26am
I always go out for dinner, eat at home for tea and always use the word teatime - never dinnertime

tomdrum, May 8, 10:01am
Dinner for the main cooked meal of the day, which for us is in the evening. The only time we would have dinner in the middle of the day would be Christmas.

Supper is anything after dinner, from tea and toast before bed to a light meal at midnight when out on the tiles!

I think it's funny when people call afternoon tea at a nice hotel "high tea" - "high tea" for me is an old-fashioned farm-house tea, for people who don't have a cooked dinner in the evening - lots of stodge, wedges of cheese, ham, pickled onions etc - couldn't be further from cucumber sandwiches!

lythande1, May 9, 4:27am
Dinner. I drink tea.

terraalba, Apr 14, 12:10pm
We must be really uncouth in this household because we refer the bigger traditional oneto as the main meal. The lesser meal is called tea or lunch depending on what we do for the week or weekend or other non-regular work day.