Chicken Croquettes

joybells2, Jan 17, 9:00am
Saute chopped onion, mushrooms and bacon if you like. Make up a thick roux (I use tspn prepared mustard in the sauce) with milk and chicken stock in it ( I use the ready made chicken stock)add, parsley, add onions etc along with the chicken mix all together, then refrigerate in a flat dish for longer the better, roll into shapes, flour, eggwash then crumb and fry. Hope this makes sense. The roux must be thick, and season to taste. Good for leftover roast chicken.

finlight, Jan 17, 9:51am
if you don't have a deep fryer can you grill them or something ?

madj, Jan 17, 10:18am
I cooked mine in a pan with around a cm of oil and just turned them until evenly browned.

sagitarious17, Jan 11, 10:40pm
I would like to make the above but know there is more to them than Mashed Potato and Chicken. Can any on help please.?
Many thanks,

245sam, Jan 11, 11:07pm
sagitarious17, my understanding is that croquettes usually begin with a really thick white sauce as a base; however if you're wanting a potato-based recipe you might like to try these:-

http://www.kidspot.co.nz/recipes-for+3267+24+Chicken+Chicken-and-potato-croquettes.htm

Hope that helps. :-))

joybells2, Jan 14, 11:22pm
I make them but not with mashed potato, but with a roux, if you want a rough recipe, let me know.

madj, Jan 15, 7:49am
I used this recipe for the guide to what I wanted. The base for the croquettes did not change but some of the ingredients did. Instead of tarragon I chopped up some parsley, I didn't have a lemon so used lemon pepper instead. I also used my own tomato relish I made a few weeks ago which was opened for Christmas, but am sure the one included is nice as well.

Ingredients
For the croquettes

500g/1lb 2oz floury potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm/1in cubes

3 free-range eggs

30g/1oz unsalted butter

5-6 tarragon leaves, finely chopped

½ lemon, zest only

½ tsp salt

¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper

200g/7oz leftover roast chicken

100g/3½oz breadcrumbs

100g/3½oz flour

vegetable oil, for deep frying

For the tomato chutney

olive oil, for frying

3 shallots, halved lengthwise and then sliced

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2 tbsp sugar

1 tsp fennel seeds

good pinch dried chilli flakes, to taste

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

50ml/2fl oz red wine vinegar

8-12 soft tomatoes, roughly chopped

Preparation method

For the croquettes, boil the potatoes until tender and then mash, using a ricer if you have one, to get the mash as fine as possible. Set aside to cool slightly.

Lightly beat one of the eggs and add to the cooled mash along with the butter, tarragon, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Add the leftover chicken and combine.

Place the breadcrumbs in one bowl, the flour in another and beat the remaining two eggs in a third bowl.

Take small handfuls of the potato mixture and shape into logs around 5cm/2in long. Roll each one in flour, dip in egg and then coat in breadcrumbs. Place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.

For deep frying, fill a heavy bottomed saucepan with about 8cm/3in vegetable oil and set over a medium heat. (Caution: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)

To test if the oil is ready, drop in a pinch of breadcrumbs. They should immediately sizzle and rise to the surface.

Fry the croquettes in batches, turning occasionally until golden-brown all over. They should only take 2-3 minutes per batch. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and keep them warm while you fry the rest.

For the tomato chutney, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the shallots and garlic until soft, without colouring them. Add the sugar, fennel seeds, chilli flakes, salt and pepper, followed by the vinegar. Bring to a boil and then add the tomatoes. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the tomatoes have softened.

Serve the croquettes with the chutney. Any leftover chutney can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.

http://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/357777675.jpg

dilligaf_dah, May 11, 9:05am
joybell Yes PLz. Thankyou