Hard Boiled eggs!

Page 1 / 2
seniorbones, Mar 26, 1:27am
Called into supermarket and in their chiller they had 1/2 doz organic free range 'perfectly hard boiled eggs' $5.99? Only $1 dearer than actually buying the raw eggs, but it went through my brain. "what next"!

lythande1, Mar 26, 1:45am
Yeah like packet meals, jars of sauce and pre-sliced fruit and veges. For the too much money and not enough effort brigade.

seniorbones, Mar 26, 2:06am
And packet food is yuk, high fat and sugar! Although must admit I have used frozen mashed potatoes once and they were ok on top of fish pie, only two of us and sick of throwing out green potatoes, now I just buy a few at a time and Im sure Ive seen people give me 'expensive way to buy 3 potatoes' look. Nothing seems to last as long as it used!

nauru, Mar 26, 5:22am
I saw hard boiled eggs in SM's throughout the UK when I visited last year. They were in the deli chiller with sandwiches and other lunchtime foods.

wendalls, Mar 26, 7:00am
Who saw Heston cooking eggs? His method for boiling. Bring to the boil with eggs in from cold. Turn off at boiling and leave for 7 minutes then rinse in cold. I tried this and had lovely perfectly just hard boiled eggs.

holly-rocks, Mar 26, 7:31am
Where they shelled? Maybe thats whats next!

I know when i travelled through Asia, you could buy hard-boiled eggs that where shelled all floating around in a huge container in the 40 degrees heat. ! You could smell them before you saw them!

Its crazy though, buying hardboiled eggs. No wonder the young folks dont know how to cook these days :O

harrislucinda, Mar 26, 7:47am
that is how I do hard boiled eggs bring to boil take pan off heat might not be 7 min but still works for me

gilligee, Mar 26, 8:30am
Ditto. Doesn't everybody?

slimgym, Mar 26, 3:34pm
I only leave for 5 min then the eggs are good for making soldiers. I never saw the program my cousin did and she told me all about it, for some unknown reason I remembered, of all the things Ive been told in my life and remember how to boil eggs

mjhdeal, Mar 26, 6:31pm
I bought pre-boiled eggs when I was in Korea - our apartment only had a microwave, so I found them quite handy. In Seoul, it is soooo cheap to eat out or buy pre-made everything, no-one bothers to cook anymore; from memory I think it was about 80 cents for two boiled eggs.

But that's not true here, so not sure I see the point, unless age/infirmity prevents you from cooking.

kaddiew, Mar 27, 4:48am
My local PaknSave sells peeled hardboiled eggs from the deli chiller @ $1 each. Think I've seen them in New World as well.

harrislucinda, Mar 27, 7:05am
well just answering #5

gilligee, Mar 27, 7:16am
It is just a saying/quotation. I wasn't inferring anything!
One has to be so careful on these boards.

frogz99, Mar 27, 8:11am
This. It's how I was taught 40 plus years ago in school cooking class.

esther-anne, Mar 27, 9:21am
Interesting thread - but most cafes have hard boiled and shelled eggs on their normal cabinet food - and have done for yonks - at a price. Never got it really - rather go home and boil and shell my own - I like really hard boiled so about 7 minutes - shell and mash with heaps of butter, a touch of salt and lots of white pepper - heap onto lovely seeded bread and enjoy just as they are!

christin, Mar 27, 7:21pm
be handy for a lunch for a body builder or someone wanting protein etc.

or buy some, some salad etc, and healthy lunch.

handy for those that arent at home, ie in hotel, at an office etc.

sampa, Mar 27, 10:06pm
I gave in to a whim and bought a silly looking little chicken shaped thing that said you could boil eggs in the microwave. Expecting the worst I tried it and, works fine, I use it all the time. A lot of the time I just want one egg quickly and it's often for a - I forgot to have lunch and want an egg / or an egg sandwich right now thanks - 2 minutes after thinking that I have my egg. :)

gerry64, Mar 28, 1:51am
If you have an Air Fryer - pop them in the basket - no water needed -2 mins soft boiled - 4 mins hard boiled on 160 - perfect every time

buzzy110, Mar 28, 4:24am
Not everyone has access to a kitchen and can cook their own when they're out and about. When I travel and haven't got anything for lunch, I often go to the supermarket and buy food that I can make into a healthy lunch at short notice and with very little equipment, rather than go to a cafe and buy stodge or sugary foods. I would have thought being able to buy cooked eggs a real boon.

Naturally, I take my own, prepared-by-own-hands food most of the time but sometimes it is not possible.

Now my only issue is what goes into the eggs. You can buy them in American supermarkets but they are peeled and doused in some nasty preservative stuff which completely negates their goodness and ruins the taste.

cabrio1, Mar 28, 4:59am
Sounds like a bargain. Time and energy saved in having to boil them yourself half a dozen times. 7 minutes to boil an egg multiply by 6. 42 minutes at a decent hourly rate is about $30 plus washing the dishes and power.

timturtle, Mar 28, 5:22am
Do you preheat the airfryer first? Thanks

sampa, Mar 28, 6:19am
Last year on a trip to Fiji I asked for soft boiled eggs for breakfast on one occasion. They came out hot, soft yolks and pre-peeled.

Wonder who burnt their fingers doing that? I was a little perturbed initially that they were shellless but. can't fault the customer care involved.

kiwiscrapper1, Mar 28, 6:45am
They were still there today with the best before 25th. when I Cook eggs and dont use straight away I wouldnt leave that long. they would be convienent for all the reasons someone mentioned.

illusion_, Mar 28, 7:13am
No burnt fingers. They will have been reheated.
Steam to cook (with a timer), place in ice water, once cold peel under ice water, reheat in 60 degree C water (the yolks will stay runny at that temp)

margo191, Mar 29, 8:06pm
Marks &n Spencer UK stores has many already-cooked foods for sale, even porridge!