What can i add to plain boiled rice 2 "jazzy"it up

kiwigoldie, Sep 5, 3:55am
i would be grateful to suggestions to what to add to plain boiled rice to jazzy it up a touch...I dont want to make a rissotto or fried rice but just something to make it a little different...i am serving it with chicken roulades which have an apricot sauce and vegetables.

bedazzledjewels, Sep 5, 4:04am
If it's that boring don't bother with it at all!

geldof, Sep 5, 4:17am
stir through some fresh chopped herbs once rice is cooked.cook rice in chicken stock.add some saffron or tumeric to water.parsley, finely chopped apricots and slivered almonds would be nice with your chicken.if you serve the roulade on top of the rice, then top with your sauce, the rice will be flavoured anyway.

chakendrick, Sep 5, 4:35am
Was going to say same as above. Cook in chicken stock, drain and add chopped parsley and a good knob of butter.

kiwigoldie, Sep 5, 5:28am
thanks will do it with the chicken stock an dadd parsley and butter...that sounds nice.

cookessentials, Sep 5, 5:35am
Buttered Wine Rice

90g butter
1 onion
1 cup long grain rice
625ml (2½ cups) chicken stock
125ml (½ cup) dry white wine

METHOD

Heat butter in pan, add peeled and finely chopped onion. Cook gently until onion is tender and lightly golden. Add washed rice, stir for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of hot chicken stock to pan, stir until almost all liquid is absorbed. Add remaining stock and wine, bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer gently, covered, 10 minutes or until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper

cookessentials, Sep 5, 5:38am
Coconut Rice

30g butter
1 large (150g) onion, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 cardamom pods, bruised
2 cups (400g) jasmine rice
¾ cup (180ml) coconut milk
2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
½ cup (125ml) water
1 tablespoon flaked coconut, toasted, optional

Note: this recipe can be prepared 2 hours ahead; reheat gently.

METHOD

Melt the butter in a large saucepan, cook the onion, garlic and cardamom until the onion is soft.

Add the rice, cook, stirring, for two minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, stock and water and bring to the boil then immediately reduce the heat to very low. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 12 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.

To serve, sprinkle with toasted flaked coconut, if desired.

lindi4, Sep 5, 7:00am
A packet of chicken noodle soup when it is boiling makes it nicer and may be a few peas.

stevy1000, Sep 10, 11:31pm
Try stirring through a jar of salsa.

trading_gibsons, Sep 10, 11:40pm
I used to put satay flavours in-
cumin
coriander
lemon/lime juice & zest
peanut butter
red/green curry paste
soya sauce
garlic
ginger
chickenstock
coconut cream -optional

also pilaf rice is lovely too.

kiwigoldie, Mar 10, 4:02pm
thanks guys....some fabulous ideas...i have copied...cheers.