Condensed Coconut Milk. Dairy Free.

lynan, Dec 3, 2:13am
Just found this product at Davis Trading in Palmerston North. Also gluten/soy free and vegan. It is sweetened. Supplied by Mansanta Foods Carbine Rd, Auckland if anyone wants to find out where their closest supplier may be. Can imagine this product would be VERY handy this time of year!

karenz, Dec 3, 4:40am
Why would coconut milk contain dairy anyway, or for that matter gluten or soy? Also it is naturally sweet so why add sugar?

patxyz, Dec 3, 4:46am
Why don't you contact Mansanta Foods and ask them?

nauru, Dec 3, 5:49am
I bought some of it last time I was in town. I'm using it in my Bounty Bars this year. Good to use for Christmas truffles, treats & slices too.

uli, Dec 3, 9:24pm
Oh yes nauru - can you post the "Bounty Bar" recipe again for us - I lost it.

buzzy110, Dec 3, 10:09pm
Can you post the ingredients please?

uli, Dec 4, 4:37am
Is this it:?

Bounty Bars
1 cup coconut
2 tablsp icing sugar
2-3 tablsp condensed milk (as required)
200g chocolate (melted for coating)

Mix together icing sugar & coconut, , add 2 tablsp condensed milk to make a paste, if it's a little dry, add the other spoonful. Shape into bars or balls and chill for 15 minutes. Dip in melted chocolate and leave to set.

Note: To make a cherry ripe type of bar, you can add finely chopped glace cherries, a few drops of cherry essence or cherry liqueur to the coconut and make into bars or balls as above. The amount of cherries you use is to your own taste (I haven't measured) and use the smaller amount of condensed milk.

uli, Dec 4, 4:39am
I also found this one from jynx66

"I have a recipe for Cherry Ripe (without the chocolate coating) that I have adapted to my own needs and even if I do say so myself, it's quite delicious."

Here it is:

1 cup coconut
1/3 packet glace cherries, finely chopped (I pulse the coconut & cherries briefly in my mini Mouli; saves a sticky mess)
½ teaspoon strawberry essence
2 tablespoons icing sugar
1½ - 2 tablespoons chocolate hail
2-3 tablespoons condensed milk

Directions

Put the coconut, cherries and strawberry essence into a bowl and add the sifted icing sugar and chocolate hail with two tablespoons of the condensed milk and mix well. If too dry, add the other tablespoon of condensed milk.

With slightly damp hands, compress about a tablespoon firmly and form into a ball, cube, triangle or any other shape you like. Continue till all done.
Refrigerate until firm then pack decoratively into boxes or cellophane.

Mixing in the chocolate hail means you get the taste of chocolate (and a pretty pink, brown and white colouring) without phaffing around dipping stuff in melted chocolate. I think I'll call it Cheats Cherry Ripe!

nauru, May 14, 9:56am
Yes Uli, that's the one. Great little recipe which gets made once a year in this house to give along with presents.