Coconut ice! what am I doing wrong?

griev, May 26, 10:38pm
I went on a sugar craze last night and woefully saw I had no sweets to eat, intact the cupboard was instant food bare, so I turned to my Edmonds cookbook and started to whip up coconut ice, it said to boil to 'soft ball stage' - what exactly is that stage? anyway I forged ahead but it doesn't seem to set hard, do I have to chuck it in the freezer or something, any hints much apprec, - sugar craze has gone, now I am trying to find out what I did wrong so I can perfect the recipie.

harrislucinda, May 26, 10:54pm
softballstageiswhen you drop asmallamountinto acupofcoldwaterandformsasoftballyoumustboilsugaruntil thenandremovefrom heatandbeat

alebix, May 26, 11:25pm
x1
Make the uncooked one, its so moist and very yummy...

tickle_me_babe, May 26, 11:58pm
sorry to hijack your thread. Can you make coconut ice without raspberry essence and coloring?

gypsy11, May 27, 12:10am
Yes you can. (Omit essence)
Best one I have made is coconut (dessicated), icing sugar, condensed milk and vegetable shortening (Kremelta).
Very quick, very easy and I have served in restaurants before as a petit four.

maxwell.inc, May 27, 12:55am
You edmonds cook book will have a page informing you of Soft Ball - crack stages of confectionery making (every copy I have ever had has had that page and much more)

harrislucinda, May 27, 2:40am
ticklemebabe, yesitwilljustturnoutallwhite

griev, May 27, 3:34am
haha hijack away, the more info I receive the more determined I become at getting it right!

cookessentials, May 27, 4:17am
5¼ cups (840g) icing sugar
2½ cups (200g) desiccated coconut
395g can sweetened
condensed milk
1 egg white, beaten lightly
pink food colouring

Line deep 19cm-square cake pan with strips of baking paper.

Sift icing sugar into large bowl; stir in coconut, then condensed milk and egg white.

Divide mixture in half; tint half with pink colouring. Press pink mixture into pan then top with white mixture. Cover; refrigerate about 3 hours or until set before cutting into squares.

juliewn, Sep 12, 2:12am
I made this recipe recently - the easiest coconut ice I've made..

'This is so easy and creamy I bet you make it twice at least:)
4 cups icing sugar
100 gms butter
1/4 cup milk
microwave for 4 minutes then beat untill its smooth and add 1 1/2 cups coconut and a few drops vanilla, pour 1/2 the mixture into your tray, colour the other 1/2 and pour on top. enjoy
Quote ribit (125 )9:09 pm, Mon 9 Aug #1'

Thanks Ribit

I wondered if I could use it for fudge too - added 1 tablespoon cocoa to the icing sugar mix.. used 1 & 1/2 cups peanuts instead of the coconut - or you could use coconut.. or both..

Highly recommended..

juppy, Sep 16, 8:54am
Thanks juliewn made this on the weekend and exactly as you promised super easy and absolutely yum. ☼

juliewn, Sep 16, 12:40pm
It is delicious .. ☼ well, moreish might be a better word!

Thanks again Ribit for originally posting the recipe.. :-)

danielle, Mar 31, 7:25am
We have the Edmonds 100 year edition (1908-2008) and there is absolutely no page anywhere in the book or any explanation of the soft ball stage... so how do u stop it sticking and burning while ur boiling it without stirring it