Ice cream maker.

battgirl, Apr 3, 3:04am
Got a new one (Cuisinart brand) for Christmas and have tried a number of variations of the base recipe included in the box. Have also tried frozen yoghurt and other concoctions, all with the same result - they're all lovely and creamy while still being churned but go icy when stored in the freezer. What am I missing please? Thanks in advance.

knowsley, Apr 3, 3:10am
Are you using full cream milk/cream and not trim?

battgirl, Apr 3, 3:12am
The recipe called for cream and milk (not trim), so that's what I used. It had no eggs in it and I'm starting to think that may be the issue...isn't ice cream really ice custard? Oh, and HELLO!

knowsley, Apr 3, 3:15am
Well, fancy meeting you here... And yes, need those egg yolks - the basic custard I use is 300ml full cream milk, 300ml cream, 100g sugar and 4 large egg yolks,

wildflower, Apr 3, 3:41am
I'm not sure of the point of ice cream makers.I just mix it in a bowl and freeze it in an ice cream container in the freezer.Can someone tell me what makes the proper machines so good?

battgirl, Apr 3, 3:45am
Weird how the none of the recipes that come with the machine include eggs. Thanks for that. Do you heat it/thicken in first then? Email me...if you want.

knowsley, Apr 3, 3:47am
It does the beating to whip air into the custard for you. Saves you taking it out of the freezer and doing it yourself. We're lazy like that...

knowsley, Apr 3, 3:48am
Yes, until it can coat the back of a spoon. And will do.

battgirl, Apr 3, 3:50am
Ahhh, you have one too then? I shall take your sage advice (as usual) then. Custard it is. Keen to hear how things are with you - shall be refreshing my Outlook every few minutes from now on.

rosathemad, Apr 3, 6:41am
We make lots of ice-cream - I have a few recipes on my blog. Making the custard is what makes it creamy - the simple recipes like the ones that came with your machine will always be icier (though I find that kind can go well with very rich chocolate desserts, so there is a place for them).

My recipes: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/search/label/ice-cream

With regard to machine vs stirring yourself, because the machine breaks up the ice crystals as they form the machine should be able to create a creamier, smoother ice-cream than you can by stirring every half hour or so. And I too am lazy so definitely prefer that way. ;-) Win win!

krazy_kat, Apr 3, 8:04am
Don't forget to temper the eggs before adding to the hot milk mixture!Scambled egg ice cream is not nice!

battgirl, Apr 3, 8:01pm
Very much appreciated - thank you!

battgirl, Apr 4, 3:04am
Got a new one (Cuisinart brand) for Christmas and have tried a number of variations of the base recipe included in the box. Have also tried frozen yoghurt and other concoctions, all with the same result - they're all lovely and creamy while still being churned but go icy when stored in the freezer. What am I missing please! Thanks in advance.

knowsley, Apr 4, 3:10am
Are you using full cream milk/cream and not trim!

battgirl, Apr 4, 3:12am
The recipe called for cream and milk (not trim), so that's what I used. It had no eggs in it and I'm starting to think that may be the issue.isn't ice cream really ice custard! Oh, and HELLO!

knowsley, Apr 4, 3:15am
Well, fancy meeting you here. And yes, need those egg yolks - the basic custard I use is 300ml full cream milk, 300ml cream, 100g sugar and 4 large egg yolks,

wildflower, Apr 4, 3:41am
I'm not sure of the point of ice cream makers.I just mix it in a bowl and freeze it in an ice cream container in the freezer.Can someone tell me what makes the proper machines so good!

battgirl, Apr 4, 3:45am
Weird how the none of the recipes that come with the machine include eggs. Thanks for that. Do you heat it/thicken in first then! Email me.if you want.

knowsley, Apr 4, 3:47am
It does the beating to whip air into the custard for you. Saves you taking it out of the freezer and doing it yourself. We're lazy like that.

battgirl, Apr 4, 3:50am
Ahhh, you have one too then! I shall take your sage advice (as usual) then. Custard it is. Keen to hear how things are with you - shall be refreshing my Outlook every few minutes from now on.

krazy_kat, Apr 4, 8:04am
Don't forget to temper the eggs before adding to the hot milk mixture!Scambled egg ice cream is not nice!