Chicken Wellington - searing query

socram, Sep 5, 2:21am
As an alternative to beef Wellington, I'm doing a chicken based version. When doing beef, I usually sear the fillet, leave it to cool before assembling the Wellington. No problem

However, being somewhat scared of undercooked chicken nasties, what I'd like to know is, is it safe to just sear the strips of chicken breast today, then put them in the fridge overnight, before using them tomorrow?

Or, is it a case of searing them tomorrow, then wrapping and baking whilst they are still warm?

245sam, Sep 5, 2:40am
socram, re "is it safe to just sear the strips of chicken breast today, then put them in the fridge overnight, before using them tomorrow?". I'm not absolutely sure about the safety aspect of doing that although I would expect that providing the chicken is refrigerated asap, then is thoroughly cooked the next day it should be ok; however I have never tried doing this so I can't be sure from personal experience.
I would be concerned about wrapping the warm chicken in pastry though because of the usual practice of it being best to have cool or cold fillings for adding to unbaked pastry.

Sorry I can't help you more than that. :-))

socram, Sep 5, 2:56am
I haven't killed anyone yet and tend to agree that it would be OK to sear and refrigerate, but I have no training in food hygiene or professional cooking, hence the query. Thanks anyway.

Traditionally, beef Wellington has a thin crepe between the filling and the pastry anyway which I presume insulates the pastry from the moisture within.

socram, Sep 6, 3:55am
'Chickened out'!

Seared it today after marinating overnight in Worcester sauce and black pepper. Cooled and made up the Wellingtons, with the crepe, a strip of pork & fennel sausage meat, then a strip of cracked pepper pate, before wrapping in flaky pastry. No mushrooms, as one guest doesn't eat them.

pony_girl, Sep 8, 5:35am
I make a dish called festive chicken, which is boneless chicken breast, flattened between some cling wrap, then (no precooking) laid on large pastry rectangle, next layer is finely chopped cooked onion and spinach, with chopped sage leaves and pinenuts - last layer is sundried tomatoes or roasted red peppers. Wrap into large parcel, brush with beaten eggs and bake for about 40 minutes in a moderate oven. I have never needed to sear the chicken first and it comes out really tender and moist in this dish - when you cut it you get the red, green and white layer and it looks impressive on the plate too.

socram, Nov 5, 3:49pm
Sounds nice - but I didn't want to flatten the chicken!
Searing it cooks it about 75% of the way through. The layer of sausagemeat was a first time experiment - and that worked very well!