WHAT PART OF PORK IS BEST FOR ROAST

Page 1 / 2
heav3, Nov 26, 9:30pm
tried rolled but it was really dry.

davidt4, Nov 26, 10:11pm
Pork Belly is our favourite - it needs to be cooked slowly for a long time.

sampa, Nov 26, 10:33pm
Pork belly like dadidt4 said is yummy (quite a bit of fat but that's what keeps the meat moist). Lots of excellent Chinese takes on cooking belly. Pork shoulder is a favourite of mine, it needs a long slow loving braise in a fragrant bath of herbs and veggies to bring out its fall apart deliciousness. Very Hungry Now! Rolled roasts can be good but modern pork is lacking in fat compared to the stuff we've had direct from the farm in the past. One trick is to cut the string and unroll it and then fill it with various herbs etc (goggle recipes for porchetta). You still need to be careful not to dry it out too much but you have a completely different flavour range cooking pork this way and it makes for great sandwich fillings.

valentino, Nov 27, 12:46am
There are two cuts that I use, Pork Belly is one and is just slightly ahead by the narrowest of margins to a piece of Sirloin with the thick skin still attached with a good thick slab of fat then the meat. The latter is best from a Butcher or an Asian store that will give a cut as such. Gives the best lot of crackling and the most tenderest juicy piece of meat.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 27, 2:40am
I cooked a shoulder over the weekend and it was awful. Dry as!

punkinthefirst, Nov 27, 2:59am
The trick is to cook large cuts slowly in a braise, then whack the temperature up high for the last part of the cooking to crisp up the crackling.
Most of pork's fat is on the outside, and the actual meat is lacking in fat, which is what gives meat it's moist mouth-feel.
I cook all pork cuts like this, even chops, and very rarely have dry meat.

awoftam, Nov 27, 7:45am
Shoulder meat should be tender and sweet. Too hot for too long? Many people overcook pork.

sarahb5, Nov 27, 10:33am
Shoulder is great if cooked properly - high heat initially to crisp up the crackling and then cover with foil until it's cooked through. Rub with oil and salt in the scored skin before cooking - perfect every time

tjman, Nov 28, 2:27am
Use leg shank end. Always moist.

rarogal, Nov 28, 11:57pm
Chelsea Winters pork belly is divine. I have done it several times and is always moist and flavoursome. Just Google it.

rarogal, Nov 28, 11:58pm
Sarah, can I ask, would the foil over it not make the crackling go soft?

beaker59, Nov 29, 12:04am
Pork belly is good but expensive as a roast when cooking for a crowd. I like Pork shoulder its the best and cheapest cook it long and slow. if its a fatty one I sit it on a deep bed of rosemary branches so the fat renders out. (save the fat, the rosemary makes it very aromatic and gorgeous flavor).

But in our house Christmas doesn't seem right without a large shoulder of pork cooked over charcoal in the Webber Kettle mmmmmmmmmmmm

Hind leg of pork is the dry one in my opinion.

sarahb5, Nov 29, 12:44am
No because you crisp it before you cover it - mine works fine, nice crunchy crackling and "moist" pork - very tasty

socram, Nov 29, 6:04am
I buy pork rump - almost zero fat, cheaper even than belly pork. Slits and pieces of garlic inserted plus celery salt. Slow roast on the top of the stove until the meat almost falls apart. At that stage it is not dry, even cold, but sauces and gravies are the key!

A fair bit of liquid seems to come out, so it ends up partially braised anyway. I generally remove most of it then add it back again bit by bit later.

No longer a fan of crackling anyway which is just as well, as there isn't any!

sarahb5, Nov 29, 6:44am
I also score it deeply before pouring boiling water over it - makes the fat kind of soften and bubble up to the surface - then I oil it and salt it before I put it in a really hot oven

uli, Nov 29, 9:39pm
WHAT PART OF PORK IS BEST FOR ROAST?

Of course the right back leg!

And also roast it in covered roasting dish with some stock and herbs and spices. Not just "roast" it in the open hot oven - of course it will dry out then.

I still have one of those old roasting dishes with "dimples" in the lid, so the roast is "self basting" as the condensation drips down onto the leg.

uli, Nov 30, 5:23am
Amazing that no-one said it is the LEFT back leg!

samanya, Nov 30, 5:52am
Amazing?
What is your point?
Left or right. so what?
Personally I like pork belly or the shoulder as they have more fat & don't tend to be as dry.
Legs are best for hams, imo.

uli, Nov 30, 5:54am
"IMO" seems not to know reality - never mind .
Merrry "whatever you believe in" .

samanya, Nov 30, 6:13am
uli . "imo" means IN MY OPINION!
Did you not know that?
Your point about which leg was best, was lost . what on earth did you mean, it was obscure?
I would wish you a happy whatever as well, but I have seen you comment that Christmas is not celebrated at your house, so what's the point?
Funnily enough, I have also seen you comment that NZ is a 'Christian' country.

kay141, Nov 30, 7:08am
I thought that post was intended to start an argument and as such was best ignored.

I keep telling myself DNFTT but it not always successful.

daarhn, Nov 30, 8:51am
New Zealand has no official or established religion!

daarhn, Nov 30, 8:55am
I miss pork. have not had issue with dryness with any piece of pork cooked. If roasting, high temp to crackle first then down low to cook. I always do another separate tray with extra crackle. Letting the joint sit before carving allows juices to relax the meat.

toyboy3, Nov 30, 11:42pm
I usually buy the leg , I start off by putting in a covered roasting dish with a cup or two of water after an hour or so I remove the cover by that time all the water has gone and the fat is coming out of the roast .then in go the veges
When all cooked I cut the skin off the roast and put it in an oven tray ie the roasting dish lid sprinkle salt on the skin turn the grill on and watch the skin bubble .

samanya, Dec 1, 12:36am
I was quoting someone else. ;o)
Calling NZ a 'christian country' is not the same as saying we are a C of E or catholic country though, is it.