Chelsea winter date loaf

Page 1 / 2
highfences, Oct 22, 8:49pm
x1
Chelsea Winters date loaf recipe please.

highfences, Oct 22, 9:20pm
iT IS FROM HER NEW COOKBOOK HOME MADE HAPPINESS

uli, Oct 22, 9:22pm

highfences, Oct 22, 10:01pm
couldn't find it on that website

muffin2, Oct 22, 10:48pm
because it is in her new book. if she put all her recipes online then she wouldn't bother with a book.
I suggest you buy the book, or get someone to buy it for you for Xmas

glasshalfull, Oct 23, 12:16am

kclu, Oct 23, 4:13am
Do the dates mix in so that anyone disliking dates wouldn't know there was any in the loaf?

uli, Oct 23, 7:35pm
Haha!
Chelsea Winter and the sugar company :)

highfences, Oct 23, 10:30pm
No it is obviously from her new cookbook

uli, Oct 24, 12:19am
http://tvnz.co.nz/chelsea-recipes/date-and-walnut-loaf-437726
Is from the Chelsea sugar company - NOT from Chelsea Winter.

And if it is in her new cookbook you might have to wait for a year until the recipe makes it to the free recipes on her website.

Meanwhile you might have to convince your local library that they MUST buy it and that you will be first in line when it arrives. Failing that - maybe you have to buy the book yourself.

toadfish, Oct 24, 7:23pm
Morning - Just to let you know Chelsea Winter has published her "Delicious Date Loaf" Recipe in todays (24th October) Canvas Magazine - which comes with the NZ Herald.

highfences, Oct 24, 11:20pm
Tried to find it on the internet but can not seem to get it

uli, Oct 25, 2:48am
There you go highfences - cheaper than buying the book - buy the Herald!

highfences, Oct 25, 9:54pm
Unfortunately I don't live in the Wellington area

kay141, Oct 25, 10:02pm
Wouldn't matter if you did. The Herald is an Auckland paper and down here is only available at certain outlets. You may find it at somewhere like Whitcoulls.

dons14, Oct 25, 11:28pm
No one here from Auckland who brought the Herald and willing to post for highfences? Or perhaps someone who has to book. Since Chelsea Winters has released this recipe for the Herald I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

glasshalfull, Oct 26, 12:19am
haha I knew that. close enough though!

toadfish, Oct 26, 2:39am
Delicous Date Loaf - From the Canvas Magazine 24th October

1 1/2 Cups chopped pitted dates
3/4 Cup water
zest and juice of 1 orange
1/2 Cup Milk
150gms butter at room tempreture (cubed)
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
1 free range egg at room tempreture
1 free range egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla Essence or paste
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger

Preheat the oven to 160C regular bake
Grease and flour a loaf tin (about 23 x 10)

Add the dates to a small saucepan with the water, orange zest and juice and simmer for 5-10 mins until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Stir in the milk set aside and let cool.
Cream the butter and sugar till pale and fluffy. Add the egg and the egg yolk one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides once or twice. Beat in the vanilla.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, mixed spice and ginger and whisk to combine.
Add the flour mixture, cooled dates mixture to the creamed mixture and fold gently to combine evenly until lump free. Scrape the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth out the top.
Bake 1 hour 20 mins or until a skewer comes out of the centre clean
Remove from the oven and cool for 10-15 mins in the tin then finish cooling on a wire rack.
This loaf is lovely served sliced with some butter, it keeps well in an airtight container for about 5 days, or freeze individual slices in a zip lock bag.

toadfish, Oct 26, 2:42am
Funny - i thought the NZ Herald was a nationwide paper.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11533342

highfences, Oct 26, 2:48am
Thanks very much

kay141, Oct 26, 3:01am
Nope. Auckland based. Wgton has DomPost, Chch = The Press, Dunedin = the ODT, etc. Most are available in other cities and I think all are Fairfax owned except the ODT.

uli, Oct 26, 5:26am
While the NZ Herald is a NZwide paper it only does home deliveries northwards from Taupo to include the Bay of Plenty, Waikato, King Country, Auckland and Northland. It also includes Hawke's Bay, Gisborne and New Plymouth.

But any stationer in a city will sell it and many supermarkets. And of course every library will have it too. Even in our little Northland town we can buy all sorts of NZ newspapers. And even quite a few from overseas.

However now the problem is solved and the OP can start baking.

uli, Oct 27, 3:24am

highfences, Oct 29, 10:03pm
Delicious Worth making

kay34, Oct 31, 9:24am
bumping till im not feeling lazy and write recipe down, thanks Toadfish!