Heated Vegetable oils Linked to Cancer

Page 1 / 2
buzzy110, Nov 10, 9:20pm
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=martin+grootveld+%2B+vegetable+oil&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=WwFBVuqGKuLamAXXnLaYAQ

Interesting articles on what happens to the "healthy" omega 6 high vegetables oils when heated.

Researchers are now recommending a return to saturated fats such as butter, lard and coconut oil.

sapphire152, Nov 10, 9:43pm
just something else to not eat! So over it. Every week something different

village.green, Nov 10, 10:17pm
This is old news, Mercola et al were talking about this years ago, I prefer to use coconut oil for any sauteeing/frying.

buzzy110, Nov 10, 10:23pm
It is not like they are saying that coffee/wine/tea/red meat/sugar/grains/etc are bad for us. They are saying that scummy old vegetable oils produce aldehydes, which are linked to cancer, when heated, so from my point of view, it is not such a wrench. Actually I, and probably many others, have not eaten industrially extracted vegetable oils for decades so it will make no difference to my diet one way or the other.

buzzy110, Nov 10, 10:24pm
It is old news but now we have respected professors and scientists backing it up with science. Always easier to argue the case when mainstream science is saying the same thing as the so-called "quacks" have been saying for years.

sampa, Nov 10, 10:46pm
It does get a bit like that doesn't it? Sometimes the list of 'Yea shalt not eat' gets so extensive it makes a person want to sit down and eat an entire block of chocolate and a packet of potato chips in retaliation for all the conflicting advice short wiring the poor brain cells. A glass or three of vino to wash it all down wouldn't go amiss either.

village.green, Nov 10, 10:50pm
Yes agreed. I thought you would've known all about this buzzy110 anyway from reading some of your posts. Potatoes really are better and safer cooked in animal fat.

village.green, Nov 10, 10:56pm
Nourishing Traditions which was first published in 1999 and written by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig an expert in the field lipid chemistry, were challenging the American Diet Dictocrats (their words) about such things back then.

uli, Nov 11, 1:48am
Well a lot of us know all this (and many for decades) - however it is nice that with a 30 year delay the grain lobby has now got its rewards in that some scientists say that it is NOT healthy to eat heated seed oils.

While over in "health" they even dispute that the professors are right . of course the message boarders who post MUST be right over an Uni professor - laughable.

wendalls, Nov 11, 3:14am
I read recently that extra light olive oil is the best for frying in as the bad bits (when heated) are taken out during refining. Any comments? Unfortunately I can't remember what I read it in or exactly why it came out tops. Nor do I know exactly what "refining" consists of.

uli, Nov 11, 6:31am
So what happened to tanju2 all of a sudden?
TM "Holiday"?

linette1, Nov 12, 11:18pm
No change here I see, still the same unpleasant holier than thou comments.

uli, Nov 13, 3:10am
If my post is "holier than thou"
what is this post then?

?

uli, Nov 13, 3:19am
Interesting question. Basically when you use extra virgin olive oil for deep frying, or even normal pan frying, the high temperatures can lead to burning up of the phytochemicals in the olive oil and lead to toxicity in the oil. The best olive oil for cooking, at high temperatures, would be refined olive oil. Refined olive oils have a high smoking point and are used in most restaurants for deep frying purposes. This makes it one of the best deep frying oils.

uli, Nov 13, 3:24am
Keep in mind though that any refined oil is a highly processed product and has not the same health benefits as virgin olive oil. In fact this is from an article about olive oil:

". The refined olive oil is still a highly monounsaturated fat and therefore is preferable to other edible oils but cannot and must not be considered equal to the authentic extra virgin olive oil since it lost taste, color, flavor, its antioxidants and other nutrients. New artificial features were added to create a similar but fake product. The refined olive oil has yellow color and mediocre taste. Actually it tastes bad. The oil might get oxidized easily and have rancid taste. It is not advisable to consume it raw but only for frying. "

You can read about all the processes from a virgin olive oil to a refined frying oil here:
http://www.whyoliveoil.com/refining/

wasala, Nov 13, 8:18am
Butter wouldn't melt in your mouth, would it?

slimgym, Nov 13, 5:03pm
there was something on tv the other night that coconut oil isn't good for you

uli, Nov 13, 9:52pm
Yes it is a "saturated" fat, so the heart foundation needs another 20 to 30 years until they catch up with the newer research and figure out that it is carbs that cause problems not coconut oil or butter. Just give it time.

uli, Nov 13, 9:57pm
It would actually, however I rarely eat it :)

I must admit I was very curious what happened to tanju2 - because after months of outrageous posts he/she was still posting.

So someone must have had enough at some stage and complained to TM - and since you are obviously interested I can tell you that it wasn't me.

I only threatened one poster once that if she repeats one more time that I "enjoy" killing my animals for meat that I would report her to TM. I didn't have to so far - so all is good.

linette1, Nov 13, 11:01pm
If my post is "holier than thou"
what is this post then?
village.green wrote:
"This is old news, Mercola et al were talking about this years ago, I prefer to use coconut oil for any sauteeing/frying."
?

I am replying because you asked.

It is not personal and doesn't contain disparaging sarcasm.

golfaholic2, Nov 13, 11:13pm
I couldn't care less about possible long term effects , what I do care about is short term onset of massive stomach cramps and screaming shits .

E319 , 320 and 321 are often used to prevent these oils going rancid . and my stomach cant handle even a sniff of these horrid man made anti oxidants .
From minutes , to an entire day , the cause was hard to pinpoint , but now I am very careful about avoiding these

sla11, Nov 13, 11:13pm
Things and thinking change but everything stays the same really! One outfit says something bad, another says good. Really I suppose everything in moderation. If all natural foods were delicious to our taste that would be the best way to eat them, but it doesn't. More worried about the corners cut to deliver the right taste at the cheapest price for fast food chains to make their enormous profits.

buzzy110, Nov 14, 2:20am
The issue of "cut corners to deliver food at the cheapest possible price for maximum profit is an interesting subject all on its own.

I very well remember the controversy about McDonalds using lard instead of "healthy canola oil". An organisation in America took them to court and won so now McDonalds everywhere has to use canola oil.

Dietary tinkering by "do-gooders" ensures maximum numbers of people believe that artificial, or processed products are "healthier" than traditional food that has been eaten for ever.

There are two types of food police. tinkerers who believe artificial and highly processed food is better and those who want it to just be what we have always eaten. There is a lot of bitterness and unpleasantness directed from the first group toward the second group.

uli, Nov 14, 3:52am
I very well remember that I always wondered how the fish and chips were cooked when I first came to NZ in the '80's - every time we would unpack a newspaper full of goodies on our tour through NZ - they would be absolutely wonderful - and then the last chips (as we were struggling to eat it all) would have that fatty coating.

Years later when we found the chips getting worse and worse - and ended up not having fish and chips any more on our travels - we realized these last ones did not have that fatty coating even when stone cold.

The reason? Those early and very lovely edible chips were cooked in lard - the "new" version was cooked in seed oil (canola, soy or other stuff).

Needless to say we haven't had fish and chips from any takeaway since more than a decade now.

I am sure some shops would make a killing if they would advertise that they cook their chips in lard again :)

uli, Nov 14, 3:54am
Thanks for answering - however your sentence makes no sense to me whatsoever. Why did you post it when you now say it has nothing to do with me?