Your favourite use for Sun Dried Tomatoes?

toadfish, Oct 25, 7:07pm
Went to the Y Not shop yesterday (East Tamaki) and got my biggest bargain to date I think - a 3kg Jar of sundried tomatoes for $6.99 - I had them on my shopping list - and when I went to Pak n Save later that day - the same brand was on special - $5 for 375gms! I may freeze some in snaplock bags - but being preserved in oil - they will last forever. I love them - so will Google some good recipes. but will start with Sun Dried Tomato and Cheese Muffins tomorrow for the workers - we are cutting down some trees.

I will use them on an Antipasto platters, on pizzas.

I LOVE Sun dried tomatoes and would love to hear how others use and enjoy them.

worzel6, Oct 25, 8:08pm
in pasta salad

toadfish, Oct 25, 8:46pm
mmmm Good idea with summer coming. Sundried tomatoes, salami. mmmm yup that will work lol

linette1, Oct 26, 12:58am
On pizzas

lythande1, Oct 26, 3:09am
Grow and Dry your own then - free.

samanya, Oct 26, 3:54am
I do that & I know what you mean, but would question the 'free' part.
I use a dehydrator, the capital outlay was years ago so I guess it's paid for itself by now . if you use the oven there's power & of course all the goodies needed to grow good tomatoes & the best bit is knowing that you're using quality produce.

samanya, Oct 26, 3:56am
OP, I mostly use dried tomatoes in quiches, they go well with feta & filo.

motorbo, Oct 26, 5:12am
no you are right they do say that, I think they could go rancid after a time . but manufacturers will at times say things to safe guard themselves . but as toadfish said they may freeze some which will extend the life. not sure about the texture though

worzel6, Oct 26, 5:18am
aren't they dried out in the sun?

samanya, Oct 26, 5:57am
Traditionally they are in Italy etc . but I think it's become a loose term for dried tomatoes here in NZ.

toadfish, Oct 26, 8:31am
Another helpful post Lythande1. not sure how that answers my question though. what to do with the ones I have just bought. In any case I think the oil to store the "free" ones would cost more than $6.99

fifie, Oct 26, 9:50am
Pizza's, bread, muffins, pasta, rehydrate and toss in salads, cubes of feta,tomatoes, olive oil few herbs in a container nice for crackers, the oil makes lovely dressings/vinegarettes.

rainrain1, Oct 26, 5:02pm
The oil from the sundried tomato jar is delicious, I never discard it. great for dunking bread

daarhn, Oct 26, 6:29pm
whizz them with cream cheese for dips. but I would go back and buy the lot!

toadfish, Oct 26, 6:49pm
Oooohhh Sun Dried Tomato Bread -
Just checked it out says 75gms and use the oil instead of the butter and add some rosemary. mmmmm if I pop it on now it will be ready for lunch!

toadfish, Oct 26, 6:54pm
Well maybe not forever . but a long time.

My problem is the Jar is huge. so once I break the seal and have to put them in the fridge it will take up too much space - so will decant into a couple of large - but not humgus lol Jars that will sit better in the fridge and drain and prep the rest. Think I may get messy all in one go and chop them and freezer them in "Recipe" amounts (wrapped in glad wrap) so if I want to use them in scones I just pull out a ready to go bundle.

I am sure they will freeze just fine.

toadfish, Oct 26, 6:56pm

red2, Oct 26, 10:29pm
really good in mac cheese

toadfish, Oct 26, 10:32pm
Ok - the bread comes out the breadmaker in 1 hour - mmmm smells delicious - Sun Dried Tomato and Rosemary.
Will decant and freeze portions tomorrow as I have 10 people coming tonight for a Roast Pork Dinner - I have a feeling I will be peeling vegetables for a very long time lol. Can't think of a way to incorporate the tomatoes either - may use the oil for the vegetables. sprinkles with Tuscan seasoning.

herself, Oct 27, 3:26am
I use them chopped up in things like mince patties for the bbq and hamburgers. Also love them cut up and added to mince bolognese. They are lovely cut up and used in wraps, rolls, sandwiches etc when tomatoes are not in season.

kay34, Oct 27, 4:41am
Perfectly jealous Toadfish, lol. Hubby and i love sun dried tomatoes, and he would have them on everything - but the "on special" pricetags usually means we go without - what i wouldn't give for a shop like that in ChCh!

abbey1231, Oct 27, 5:36am
with avocado

dk33, Dec 15, 9:49am
I soak them in boiling water and then puree them up (including the soaking water) and stir it through cooked pasta. So easy and quick and savoury.

toadfish, Apr 10, 2:54am
This post is 14 months old lol.

What I ended up doing was freezing them in 100gm lots - I became famous amongst family and friends for my "Orange Bread"

If I was around I put them in at the Raisins Beep - then you got to see more pieces, if not I just popped them in at the beginning and the flavour was throughout.

In fact I think I still have a pack in the freezer.