Another Le Crueset question

duckmoon, May 3, 7:21am
I have been saving for a Le Crueset cassorole/saucepan... And we looking at them in the store last week... And then I picked one up.

At that moment I realised that my hands weren't strong enough for it (arthristis like disease)...

I am still sobbing on the inside...

What ideas do you have for a good saucepan, jam making, stove pot - maybe with the option in the oven...

Ideas please.

lcl2, May 3, 7:25am
Not sure about jam but I make pickle in the slow cooker. Just shove everything in and cook for about 4-6 hours. Thicken with cornflour if needed. Makes great pickle and so easy.

brianmac, May 3, 7:40am
Infinite Circulon do a stock pot as well as chefs casserole, saute pan with lid, skillets and three sizes of saucepans. They were used on Masterchef and can go into the oven, handle and all.

golfpunkgal, May 3, 7:45am
I have a full set of Scanpan pots & pans. They are suitable for hob or oven and clean up beautifully everytime. I purchased 3 sizes of pots & lids, roaster, pasta pot, strainer / colander, 2 sizes of stockpots and a large frypan. They are heavier than my old cheap pots but that is due to the quality of the base.
I have seen the Circulon range, they do look impressive. You could also try looking at Stevens stores as they stock a good range of pots & pans.

knowsley, May 3, 7:51am
I have some Emile Henry Flame casserole pots as well as one of their tagines. Absolutely brilliant. Similar in cooking ability to cast iron, but probably 1/3 the weight - they are a ceramic. Cheaper than LC (but not by a huge amount). If you are able, check them out - make sure they are the Flame versions, not the ordinary Emile Henry cookware (although I also have those and love them too). Moore Wilson have them (cheaper than elsewhere).

annie.nz, May 4, 3:09am
Jam and stock pot - Farmers have the Baccarat range, which are really good (the ones with the decorative etched bands round the cirumference). I got one of the biggest ones last time they had a 50% off sale - was still about $80 though. It's really good, including for jam and marmalade, and making large batches of thick tomato puree. I use it as a stockpot too, though I also have a cheap taller thinner stockpot. The lighter stockpots tend to burn the contents a bit unless they are very watery, so aren't as good for jams etc.

As for the frying pan, I have the same problem. My old Le Creuset one is too heavy for me to lift without losing control of it, but I can usually get one of my family to lift it for me. Cast iron is out for me for frying pans in the future, especially the skillet type with short metal handles.

cookessentials, May 4, 3:42am
The Emile Henry is definately a great item as is the Infinite circulon. To be honest, I would steer clear of Scanpan ( it's return rate is very high) and as for cookware From farmers! - the have cheap knock offs made in china and the quality is just not there ( well not for the long term) The American Lodge as far as the cast iron is fabulous and is pre-seasoned soyou dont have to go through the seasoning process. They have been making the cookware since about 1898 so they know what they are doing and there is no enamel to worry about. There are a number of traders selling it on tradme too I note.

duckmoon, May 6, 6:04am
thanks my Cook-friends on TM - at least I know which way to go now... Will look at Moore Wilsons.

annie.nz, May 6, 8:13am
Actually, I'm fussy about pots - I refuse to part with my old Murray pots from 30 years ago! And I am more than happy with the heavy-bottomed Baccarat stockpot from Farmers.

I do have a stockpot I got at Moore Wilson, but it is thinner on the base, and while it's a great stock pot, isn't any good for thick liquids. It's not Emile Henry though.

knowsley, May 6, 8:19am
I have a set of Baccarat sauce pans from Farmers too - the stainless ones. Not too bad for the money. Nice thick bases. I have a couple of stock pots from MW, pretty much just for stock (or the odd boiled chicken/duck recipe). Too thin for much else. I bought some of my best cookware from Farmers, back in the day they actually sold quality items - a Tramontina saute pan and large saucepan, and my first set of Circulon pots. Both brilliant.

firefly001, Apr 6, 4:14am
I got a le crueset frypan with my flybuys and I much prefer my old one that I got at a garage sale for $1 - the le crueset doesn't have a smooth finish and isn't good for eggs etc (but my garage sale one needs a new handle! ). My brother has a scan pan that he likes to take on holiday with him...