Making bread Bowls.

cas82, Oct 31, 2:02am
Best way to describe them, Bread that looks like a bowl and you put all sorts of salad and pickles, Salami, or any meat really, beetroot, pickled onions etc etc. and then you gorge yaself. How to make Bread Bowls please.

uli, Oct 31, 4:05am
Ummm - get some rolls and hollow them out?

uli, Oct 31, 4:05am

uli, Oct 31, 4:06am
If you are adventurous you could bake them yourself even:

http://www.handletheheat.com/homemade-bread-bowls/ http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Bread-Bowls

uli, Oct 31, 4:08am

cookiebarrel, Oct 31, 4:26am
Thanks uli ! :-) Now you have me wanting to make some and I will be too busy to do so for tonights meal and tomorrow nights already sorted!

uli, Oct 31, 4:29am
Ah well there is always Sunday mornings rugby time!

buzzy110, Oct 31, 4:30am
Do you mean bread cases where you place de-crusted and flattened (with a rolling pin) slices of bread into muffin tins and bake till crispy?

cookiebarrel, Oct 31, 4:35am
uli, what's this rugby you talk of?

cas82, Oct 31, 11:38pm
Many Years ago, In a shop called the "Munchen Junction " they had what looks like Bowl's made of bread. NO they were not hollowed out Bread Rolls. Almost look like Pita Bread, They were about saucer size in the opening.I do not eat a lot of bread and made from hollowed out rolls would not be as nice. Thankyou all for your suggestions.Also "Old El Paso" Stand N Stuff are not the same.

uli, Aug 1, 6:59pm
There used to be a gadget which was like two round baking tins with wavy edges - one fit the other - and you put some of that commercial flat bread in between the two and baked it in a hot oven until it was dried out even more and held the shape.

It got out of fashion as it wouldn't hold "saucy" things long enough to serve and eat before collapsing into mush onto the plate with the filling oozing all over the place.

Hence the bread roll thingy bit nowadays - and if you read the links I gave carefully you can see that they recommend a very well thickened sauce and enough soft stuff left inside the crust to cope with the liquid, other wise they too leak.

Personally I think make a nice soup, stew or whatever and serve some crusty bread with it, rather than serve everything in something that will be soggy and you cannot really eat the bread with the food either. And from what I have seen most of that bread bowl is going to the landfill after dinner.