Wanting a recipe for Steak/kid in NZWW

korbo, Oct 16, 10:03pm
a few months back there was a recipe in the Nz womans weekly for good ole fashioned Steak and Kidney .
I cut it out and have turned the kitchen almost upside down looking for it.
It was pretty easy, and tasted delicious.
If anyone has it I would appreciate it.thanks

kaddiew, Oct 16, 10:40pm

beaker59, Oct 18, 2:02am
That recipe just looks too plain. Needs some herbs and spices.

kaddiew, Oct 18, 2:39am
Really? I haven't made this version myself, but the kidneys are so full of flavour that I would find the salt, pepper, stock and worcester sauce more than enough.
What herbs and spices do you put in your S&K?

sampa, Oct 18, 2:54am
That sounds nice. Keen to try cooking steak and kidney but I'm pretty sure hubby will stick his nose in the air. Luckily I have a dog that will love me forever if he doesn't want my efforts. Perhaps he can have her usual dinner instead that night. ;-)

cgvl, Oct 18, 3:33am
If you find the smell of kidney too strong (and I do), then, cut each one in half and soak them in cider vinegar for about ½ an hour. It reduces the smell that you can get. We sometimes have Steak and Kidney stew/pudding and I do a mixed grill with liver as well.

beaker59, Oct 18, 3:57am
That works but also you can add just a few juniper berries, 4 or so, it really cleans up the flavour and smell, but not too much unless you like the taste of gin.

beaker59, Oct 18, 4:06am
I am cooking one right now as it happens, I used.
Bayleaves a sprig of rosemary and a small bunch of thyme. (to be removed towards the end)
4 juniper berries, a chicken stock cube (bisto), pinch cayenne, half tsp cardamom powder, pepper, salt, garlic, quarter tsp allspice, half tsp Paprika. The spice blend is by whim only not to a recipe I just get the box of spices and decide at the moment.

I used brisket and Ox Kidney but then I think Ox Kidney stews better than sheep's which I love fried and just pink in the middle. I did use 2 onions and 4 carrots much like the recipe though which I think is fine just a bit plain.

korbo, Oct 19, 12:59am
Kaddiew. yes that is it. thanks.

pennyo, Aug 24, 5:48pm
i grew up on steak and kidney (english) and have never Put herbs and spices In it, just salt and pepper