Asparagus.

Page 2 / 2
kay141, Sep 28, 1:26am
One trader had some for sale at the market yesterday but it was too dear, too limp and too thick so I gave it a miss. May have been there on previous weekends but I haven't been for a couple of weeks.

suzannelg, Sep 28, 2:14am
I was in there this week, and its still around $30 a KG.

sampa, Sep 28, 2:38am
Hubby went out just before and came back with 2 bunches of asparagus and 2 dozen scallops. Much better than getting chocolates or flowers. think I may keep him.

kirmag, Sep 28, 10:06pm
My local New World had some yesterday. $5.99 for a small woody looking bunch. Hanging out for really good fresh stuff! Asparagus is my fav.

Have made asparagus rolls for a shared lunch today, but with tinned asparagus, not the same, but it does the job.

popeye333, Sep 28, 11:47pm
Saw some in our local fruit shop last week. $3 a bunch.

Last year we were getting kilo bags for $4. MrP has been holding off eating the last bunch which I froze.

He loves it

daarhn, Sep 29, 12:08am
I wonder what his wife thinks? sniggerz

sampa, Sep 29, 12:25am
and there was whitebait too - which I wasn't going to bother with this year after slight disappointment last season - but it turned out great so all happy here.

kay141, Sep 29, 12:37am
Quite right, don't mention the whitebait. It is not fair to others, and me, in particular.

sampa, Sep 29, 12:40am
Okay then I def won't mention the WB or that fact that they were yummy. I will keep it to myself.

kay141, Sep 29, 12:51am
That's the girl. Zip it.

uli, Oct 1, 4:47am
Lots of fresh asparagus in the supermarkets here now.

parsondian, Oct 1, 5:10am
$18 a kilo now and going down hopefully quickly. How much are you all paying?

daarhn, Oct 1, 9:16am
2.99 a bunch New Lynn. Saw it today as I bused past local fruit veggie market and thought of this thread hehe.

sampa, Oct 1, 7:45pm
I got a bit carried away and now have Asparagus for Africa as the saying goes. Opps. ;-) Oh well, shall have to be inventive and enjoy the bounty.

parsondian, Oct 1, 8:11pm
Holy Moly, yikes $2.99 a bunch! Its summer.

kay141, Oct 1, 8:16pm
Mary Berry made a delicious looking and easy to make asparagus soup last Saturday on her program. I didn't write down the recipe but most of hers are available on the BBC website. I'm keeping it in mind for when asparagus are really cheap as I think it would freeze well if you didn't add the cream before freezing.

gbking, Oct 1, 8:36pm
Had my 1st feed on 1st of Sept, and many since, well before it was in the shops and I know it was fresh. It's such an easy crop to grow I don't know why more people don't have their own patch

sampa, Oct 1, 9:01pm
Thanks Kay, may do just that.

gbking. tried once but not again since. Must consider giving it another go.

nauru, Oct 1, 10:45pm
It's $5 here in Auckland for small bundle, will have to drop in price for me. I'm used to getting it from the farm for $5 a big bag.

samanya, Oct 2, 2:54am
I'm on the other side of the hill location wise ;o) & not one tiny sliver has stuck through in my patch yet. Your climate is enviable, though.
Having my first season's taste tonight . had some sent to me from Blenheim . yum.

kay141, Oct 2, 3:03am
Maybe, like me, they don't have enough land to leave a patch idle for the majority of the time.

uli, Oct 2, 3:25am
Certified Organic Spring Asparagus
$15 per kilo (Crate price)
Good luck!

sampa, Oct 2, 5:23am
Yep, for sure, section sizes are diminishing to the ridiculous point in places like Auckland. doesn't leave a lot of space for a crop that needs to be in the ground year round but only produces for a brief period for many sadly. Anyone had good luck growing asparagus in containers. ?

mbos, Sep 23, 8:55am
I had some two weeks ago from the greengrocer next to Peter Timms Meat, it was gorgeous. And got some from Northlands Countdown yesterday.