Corned Beef

mike547, May 3, 1:18am
anyone have a nice easy way to cook this and how long does it take. would starting at 3 ish will it be ready by 5. 30, 6 ish. Thanks in advance

lizab, May 3, 1:27am
I just chuck it in a pan, shake over some brown sugar, add a big splash of vinegar, cover with boiling water and cook for about 2 and a half hours. Add some carrots towards the end of cooking time. Starting at 3 would be fine (even if it's a frozen lump) :)

cookessentials, May 3, 1:52am
I use a crockpot myself, however, you can do it in a stock pot or large saucepan. To help speed up the process use boiled water from the jug. Rinse meat under cold tap first, then into pan, covering with water. Add a good 1 -2tbsp of malt vinegar, a 1tbsp approx of soft brown sugar, a couple of bay leaves and about 6 whole cloves. it is the long slow cooking that makes it tender. Cook slowly till tender.

waswoods, May 3, 3:42am
I don't think that starting at 3pm and especially if it's frozen is long enough. It needs long, slow cooking

karenz, May 3, 3:51am
45 minutes per 500 grams is the normal. I wash the red sticky goo off first then put it in a pot of water with a generous splash of malt vinegar, a heaped tablespoon of brown sugar, a few cloves, some black peppercorns and a bayleaf. Another nice variation is to also put in the peel from one orange. I also turn it over from time to time and check that the water level doesn't get below that of the corned beef.

ferrit47, Apr 3, 6:59pm
Its better cooked slowly. Bring to Boil and then simmer it. I cook it in Crockpot all day with Vinager & Brown Sugar & Pepper & Salt.