A yummy way to cook cauliflower

Page 1 / 2
uli, Jul 22, 4:24am
Cauli on special up here at $2 for huge heads.
So keep the recipes coming.

samanya, Jul 22, 5:10am
I make a 'pizza' base & way prefer it to a bread base.
http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html

davidt4, Jul 22, 5:43am
My current favourite way with cauli is to roast it and dress with miso butter (made with half butter and half raw miso).

uli, Jul 22, 9:05am

ruby19, Jul 22, 8:30pm
Delicious magazines`s whole roasted cauli with cheddar and spring onion sauce
This was really good. I did add a couple of teaspoons of vegeta stock powder to the boiling liquid for the cauli - But this was a big hit and has already been requested for our family Christmas!

1 large cauliflower head, trimmed
300ml dry white wine
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp black peppercorns
Garlic bulb, halved horizontally
1 free-range egg, lightly beaten and seasoned well
Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), for grating

For the sauce
Olive oil for frying
1 banana shallot, very finely chopped ( I used red onion)
50ml dry white wine
300g vintage or extra-mature cheddar, grated
125ml whipping cream
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped ( I Omitted)
2 spring onions, finely sliced

01.Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Put the cauliflower in a large pan with the 300ml wine, bay leaves, peppercorns and garlic halves. Pour over boiling water from the kettle to just cover the cauliflower – don’t worry if it floats – and simmer on the hob for 20 minutes, turning halfway through. Carefully lift the cauliflower out of the poaching liquid into a colander and leave for 10 minutes to steam dry (see tip).
02.Put the cauliflower in a roasting tin, brush all over with the egg, then grate over a generous amount of parmesan so it covers the top and sides. Roast in the top third of the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden.
03.Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat a splash of olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the shallot and cook for 5-6 minutes until translucent and soft. Add the 50ml wine and bubble until evaporated by two thirds. Turn the heat down to its lowest setting, then add the cheese and cream. Stir constantly until the cheese melts to a smooth sauce. Stir through the chilli and spring onions, season, then pour into a warmed jug. Put a piece of cling film directly onto the surface of the sauce and keep somewhere warm.
04.When the cauliflower is roasted, remove from the oven and transfer to a serving platter. Take it to the table, then pour over two thirds of the sauce before carving. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.

patsprat, Jul 22, 10:51pm
Break cauli up into florets and then blitz in processor till it looks like rice or coarse couscous. Then use it to create a 'stirfry' with bacon (or prosciutto) diced onions, garlic, a bit of fresh chilli and finally a cup of baby peas. This is seriously delicious and you wouldn't know it was boring old cauliflower! Its a Nadia Lim recipe - and no, I don't think cauli is boring, one of my favourites in fact.

buzzy110, Jul 23, 12:38am
Sometimes you amaze me. Mostly bad but sometimes good. Today I am amazed in a good way. That looks like a jolly fine recipe and one that has been saved to my Recipes folder for future use. I don't have a microwave so will have to devise some other method of cooking the cauli crumbs.

Uli, cauli were not that cheap here at the local market last week but here's hoping for a change for the better this week. The local growers are in hot competition with each other.

samanya, Jul 23, 2:04am
"Mostly bad but sometimes good" . oh really?
FYI . I steam the cauliflower.
Be amazed again, maybe?
& maybe even more amazing . I grow my own cauliflower.

buzzy110, Jul 23, 5:32am
Well let's not go overboard. I hope you were pleased that you amazed me that one time, in a good way.

nilaveli, Jul 23, 5:43am
lots of great lchf ideas for cauliflower on pinterest including pizza ones :-)

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=lchf%20cauliflower

samanya, Jul 23, 5:55am
Um . just once? Watch this space.
Those that know me well in real life, not impressions formed in cyberspace) . are 'amazed' often (I'd rather choose words such as 'like' or 'impressed' to be more realistic) . so if I have 'amazed the doyenne of the MB just the once . have I 'made it' ?
Can I expect a 'Damehood' at new year?

samanya, Jul 23, 6:00am
The pizza' ones are great . & I first found reference to it on this very forum . it's been mentioned a lot of times over the past couple of years.
I asked Mrs Google & came up with a couple of good ones. The secret seems to be getting rid of the moisture, even though I steam it, there's still quite a lot of moisture there.
Give it a try . you'd never know it was actually cauliflower.

buzzy110, Jul 23, 11:59pm
Seriously? Are you actually trying to impress me? Why? It was only one small link to one recipe that I liked!

uli, Jul 24, 12:03am
It does get tedious again samanya - lets get back to cauli recipes!

samanya, Jul 24, 12:10am
No . why would I bother? Seriously?

samanya, Jul 24, 12:19am
Um . yes, I agree, when you read posts like #35, it is rather tedious, isn't it?

uli, Jul 24, 5:58am
It is rather tedious how you invade any thread where I or buzzy or anyone else you do not like post. So let it be please - and just post recipe related posts instead of personal stuff. That is what is tedious.

samanya, Jul 24, 6:07am
See #35 . was that necessary?
Absolutely not.
I was not what you term the 'invader . so maybe you could offer the same advice to poster #35?

buzzy110, Jul 24, 10:39pm
Lol. You don't like to amaze me. I get it. Now back to Recipes. I'll be trying your recommended link this weekend on the family to see how they like it. If it is any good I'll make it for grandie's birthday bash. Those little five year olds won't know they are eating vegetables.

I have decided to put the cauliflower through my masticating juicer to get out liquid BEFORE cooking and lightly pan fry it. Hope it works out. In order to make it worth my while doing that I'll use a cauliflower the "size of my head" as Penny laughingly puts it and make some bases for freezing and use later.

samanya, Jul 24, 11:28pm
I hope it works & that you enjoy it . keep us posted

sampa, Jul 25, 12:29am
Thought you might want some ideas for all the leftover cauli juice buzzy -

http://www.rawjuicecleanserecipes.com/cauliflower-juice-cleanse-recipes/ Loads of cauli ideas here -
http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/tag/cauliflower-2/
Cauliflower and potato makes a nice vegetarian curry, I've made this often for my son. Barkers do a Spiced Eggplant Chutney that goes well with it (that seems a bit of a random comment but I tried it out cause I had some and some left over C&P curry and the two just seemed to 'go' together). Link for anyone interested -

http://www.barkers.co.nz/products-shop/chutneys-and-jellies/spiced-eggplant-chutney/

wendalls, Jul 25, 1:07am
Thanks Samanya. I too have been wanting to try out cauliflower pizza crust and your feedback on that recipe makes it the one to try, especially with the moisture hint. My kids have been whingeing for pizza but I have been low carb ing and not keen to go there. I never cooked Cauli for years as DH put me off it by making very bad cauli cheese where he would inevitably forget to drain the water before adding tasteless cheese sauce. He buys colby and expects that to add flavour. Anyway going low carb has reignited my interest in Cauli and this thread is great!

bev00, Jul 25, 11:45am
Dont remember that but here's a nice one from Delia Smith.

225g cauliflower
225g broccoli 1 heaped teaspoon of whole corriander seed crushed
2 Tlbsp oilve oil
2 cloves garlic peeled
salt and cracked pepper
Prer heat oven to 200 0C
Cut cauliflower and broccoli into small florets put in bowl with corriander.
crush the garlic with 3/4 level tsp, of salt to make it into a paste. whisk in the oil, then pour over the veges and toss through with your hands.
Arrange on a baking tray and cook for 25 -35 mins

tjman (115 115 positive feedback) 12:11 pm, Wed 24 Jul #2
recipe by Paula Deen

Creamy Roasted Cauliflower

Nonstick spray
1 head cauliflower, cored and cut
into small florets
3 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground
black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
Half 8-ounce block cream cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh
parsley
Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Spray a large baking sheet with
nonstick spray.
Spread the cauliflower onto the
baking sheet in a single layer.
Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the
oil and some salt and pepper. Toss
to coat well. Roast, stirring once or
twice, until the cauliflower is just
tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining
tablespoon oil with the butter in a
large nonstick skillet over medium-
high heat. Add the garlic and
onions and cook, stirring
occasionally, until softened, about
8 minutes. Stir in the cream cheese
and heavy cream and bring to a
simmer. Add the cauliflower,
tossing gently to coat well. Transfer
to a serving bowl and sprinkle with
the parsley.

48bubbles (41 41 positive feedback) 1:44 pm, Wed 24 Jul #3

gardner8, Jul 26, 5:06am
How bout soup, Had some yesterday it was delicous,was :
1ltre chick stock
1small leek
1ead cauli
1/2head broccoli
1teaspoon curry
1Chick stock cube 1/4cup flour
1/2 cup milk
2cups grated cheese
combine stock, leeks,cauli,broccoli. bring to boil and simmer till tender, season curry powder, crumbled stock cube salt and pepper. in a jug combine flour and milk add to soup stirring till soup thickens, stir in grated cheese,

joybells2, Jul 26, 5:56am
Jamie Oliver did a normal cauliflower dish but the béchamel sauce had broccoli in it, then put in the blender so it was nice and green looking and looked yummy on the cauliflower, not that I like it lol.