No Knead Vogel's Type Bread

lindylambchops1, Feb 9, 3:39am
Heard this recipe on RadioLive the other morning from FoodLovers.co.nz Haven't made it yet but thought I would share it. Hope to make it this week.

Yield: Makes 1 very large loaf or 2 small loaves.
Ingredients
2 teaspoons active dried yeast
3 cups plus 1 tablespoon (765ml) luke warm water
2 teaspoons honey
2 1/4 cups (315g) highgrade white flour
2 1/4 cups (315g) wholemeal flour
1/2 cup (75g) kibbled wheat
1/4 cup (35g) kibbled rye
1/2 cup (70g) sunflower seeds
1/4 cup (22g) rolled oats
2 teaspoons salt
Method
Grease a 30cm loaf tin with oil. Dissolve the yeast and honey in 1 cup of the warm water and allow to sit for 5 minutes until frothy.
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeasty water plus the remaining water and mix well. Tip the dough evenly into the loaf tin (it will be very sticky).
Set aside in a warm spot for 4-6 hours or until dough is well risen and has lots of holes in it (I cover the dough loosley with clingfilm and sit it on the stove top while I have something cooking in the oven below. You could also sit it in a hot water cupboard or at a closed sunny window).
Preheat oven to 210 C fanbake and cook bread for 35-45 minutes until the loaf is firm and sounds hollow when tapped.
* You can add a mixture of seeds and grains depending on taste and availability.

Please note I have amended timing of rising since the original posting.
http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/no-knead-bread.html

kaddiew, Feb 9, 4:41am
Thanks for this. Will try it tomorrow. :)

kaddiew, Feb 10, 12:52am
Note to self for very wet doughs that have no structure when rising: next time put a lot less dough in the tin, or you'll lose much of it to overflow.

lindylambchops1, Feb 10, 8:32am
Oh bugga! Haven't got around to making it today as I have been busy making bulk biscuits. But thanks for the comment.

kaddiew, Feb 10, 10:05am
And the baked result was 2 sunken bricks. You might have better luck! :)

pickles7, Feb 11, 6:50am
I sure will, thanks for the post.

wildflower, Feb 11, 7:03am
I always use Allison Holst's No Knead heavy loaf recipe from her bread book, great recipe and very healthy.

lindylambchops1, Feb 11, 7:55am
Oh gosh your photo looks delicious, thanks for the recipe too.

lindylambchops1, Feb 11, 8:12am
Sorry you still had no luck with that recipe. Look at the comments on the page & see if you can glean any information to improve your loaf.

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/no-knead-bread.html

Better luck another time!

davidt4, Feb 11, 7:23pm
It's possible that you let it rise too long. That kind of very wet dough doesnt hold the. CO2 bubbles long, especially when it hasn't been kneaded. Try leaving the loaves to rise only until they have increased by about 50%, but not until the top bubbles start to burst.

lodgelocum, Feb 13, 7:28am
That looks great, bet it tastes as good as it looks.

bev00, Feb 14, 11:25am
recycling

lindylambchops1, Feb 15, 6:06am
It was delicious with our home made blackcurrant jam.

griffo4, Feb 17, 4:59pm
Here is a recipe from Alison Holst thought l would share
l haven't made it yet but will do when l get time

This "bread" contains no flour of any type so it is suitable for people with gluten intolerance, as well as being low carb and Paleo friendly
It's wonderfully savoury and looks like a pretty mosaic when sliced
It is good toasted or untoasted

Alison's Pantry Super Foods Nut Bread

It says in the recipe to use Alison's Pantry nut and seed mixes below

1 cup raw mixed nuts

1/3 cup almonds

1/3 cup hazelnuts

1/3 cup walnuts

1 cup sunflower seeds

1 cup chia seeds

1 cup linseeds

1 cup pumpkin seeds

5 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/3 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 160C

Grease loaf tin 22 cm x 12 cm line with baking paper with some hanging over the side to make it easier to lift out Or you can use 8 mini loaf tins

In large bowl lightly beat the eggs,salt and oil then add the nuts and seeds
Chia seeds are inclined to cling to everything so use a rubber scraper to keep them in the bowl
When the mixture is combined, turn it into the prepared tin or tins, smooth over the top and press mixture firmly to compact it eliminating air pockets

Bake a large loaf for 1 hour of mini ones for 1/2 hour
The load should sound hollow when knocked on the bottom
Cool before slicing with serrated knife