Old fashioned mince on toast

bigjjman, Jun 6, 3:26am
I'm cooking for my dad while my mum is overseas and I thought I'd make him some mince on toast, which he loved growing up. I've never made it before and my dad is convinced that my Nana just fried mince and served it on toast - however I'm sure there is a bit more to it. Sadly my Nana is no longer around so I can't ask her.

Has anyone got a recipe they can share?

twindizzy, Jun 6, 3:29am
Savoury mince: fry off onion and mince, add beef stock or worchestire and water. Boil, simmer reduce and add peas and carrots

wheelz, Jun 6, 3:30am
bumped two previous threads for you.
if you want to find something. in the top left type your query, and set it to last year, usually theres a thread that will help.

bigjjman, Jun 6, 3:30am
Thanks. Also thanks to the person who bumped up other threads.

245sam, Jun 6, 3:30am
Maybe you'd like to try Fisher's recipe.

"Homemade mince like ma used to make
Note: adding herbs at the end does not cook all the herb flavour out.
Ingredients:
600g - 700g mince 2 beef oxo cubes 2 med onion finely diced 1~2 tsp marmite/vegemite 2 tbsp of cornflour Water
1/2 cup frozen peas 1 cup small precooked carrot pieces 1 dash of worcestershire sauce salt and pepper Crushed garlic if desired.
Method:
In a medium saucepan, stir fry one onion in a little oil until browned and then add thawed mince and cover with water.
Boil, stir / break up until mince is cooked through Drain well Stir fry the mince and onion for a few minutes and then add fresh water to cover
Add marmite and oxo cubes Stir well adding salt and pepper to taste Add the frozen peas, raw onion and precooked carrots to the pot. Mix.
When ready to serve, take the cornflour and add to 1/4 cup of water stirring until smooth Add this to the pot and stir and cook until thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes
Variations:
Add Maggi Oxtail soup to a jug and add warm water and stir. Add at the end just before thickening and stir through.
Add Maggi Mushroom soup to a jug and add warm water and stir. Add at the end just before thickening and stir through.
Add some sliced mushroom and / or celery sliced.
Add some mixed herbs at the end while cooking ( or herbs to your liking)
For that curried mince add some curry powder while cooking."

From http://www.e-ware.co.nz/recipes/mince.htm

Hope that helps. :-))

bigjjman, Jun 6, 3:31am
I just searched, should have looked before posting!

nzrose7, Jun 8, 12:24am
Cheats version, Cook 450 g mince in saucepan [finely chopped onion optional] add Maggi Oxtail soup dissolved in 1 cup water. Cook until bubbling and soup thick. Serve. Whats left over can be used for pie filling, just add extra veges.