Help! Pumpkin,Carrot and Raisin Loaf

nana_gee, May 1, 11:17pm
I am in the middle of making this recipe and have noticed there is no baking powder---could some one please tell me if that is right? Thanks

unknowndisorder, May 2, 12:10am
If you're talking about the recipe RJ5 posted the other day, there's baking soda in it.
(just copy & pasted a bit of the recipe)

1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp b. soda
1/4 tsp salt

nana_gee, May 2, 12:24am
Thanks for your reply unknowndisorder. Yes that is the recipe and I did note the baking soda. I have made the carrot cake and the pumpkin loaves from here and the recipes are all much the same, except this one had no baking powder and i wondered if it had been overlooked

rj5, May 2, 2:56am
Defintiely no baking powder in it, how did it turn out? ?

unknowndisorder, May 2, 3:44am
"Baking powder is a dry chemical raising agent used to increase the volume and lighten the texture of baked goods such as muffins, cakes, scones and North American biscuits. Baking powder works by releasing carbon dioxide gas into a batter or dough through an acid-base reaction, causing bubbles in the wet mixture to expand and thus leavening the mixture. "

Baking solda: "Sodium bicarbonate is primarily used in cooking (baking) where it reacts with other components to release carbon dioxide, that helps dough "rise". The acidic compounds that induce this reaction include phosphates, cream of tartar, lemon juice, yogurt, buttermilk, cocoa, vinegar, etc. Sodium bicarbonate can be substituted for baking powder provided sufficient acid reagent is also added to the recipe. Many forms of baking powder contain sodium bicarbonate combined with one or more acidic phosphates (especially good) or cream of tartar. It can also be used for softening peas (⅛ tsp. per pint of water and bring to boil for one hour)"
Taken from Wikipedia.

I can't recall seeing many recipes with both baking powder and baking soda in them, it's usually one or the other. I do know there's at least one that I've baked in the past, but have no idea what it was ;)
What I was meaning was seeing b. soda in there, I wouldn't have been concerned about no b. powder. (I had to look on Wikipedia to see if there's any obvious answer as to which one gets used where - me being nosey :))

Now to the serious matters - how did it turn out? ? ?

nana_gee, May 2, 7:57am
Thank you for the help. I made the loaf without the baking powder and happy to say it was a huge hit. A beautiful moist loaf. Thank you rj5. I now have a new "best recipe"

rj5, May 2, 11:09pm
Glad you like it, its my new best recipe at the moment too, and the kids eat it without knowing it has pumpkin in it whcich is even better

cookessentials, May 2, 11:20pm
rj5 have you made the pumpkin loaves? i have a friend who "hates pumpkin" so gave her the recipe (many years ago) and of course, he loved it - I think she did eventually tell him it was made with pumpkin!

rj5, May 4, 4:18am
Hi cookessentials, no I haven't tried the loaves yet, have made pumpkin muffins and they were lovely, i am definitely going to try your pumpkin scones though

cookessentials, May 4, 4:37am
You need to try the pumpkin loaves - it makes two HUGE ones, they freeze really well and they also keep for quite a while.

cookessentials, May 4, 4:38am
Here you go, let me know what you think when you have tried them.

Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy. )
500g pumpkin, cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot! ! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin, mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too. Anyone who does not like pumpkin-just tell them it is a spice loaf- I can bet they will love it. .

griffo4, Apr 3, 6:05pm
Thanks rj5 l made it last night and gave hubby a piece and he loved it and then l told him what was in it and he couldn't believe it
Thanks it is a keeper and cooks l will try your one as well l have it saved both recipes l would never have used pumpkin but so many we raving about the recipe l thought l would try it
l microwaved a cut up triamble pumpkin that the cows had damaged and scooped out the flesh and mashed l have some more left so will use that to make cooks one