This weeks prize for simple yet wonderful.

sampa, Oct 7, 3:53am
goes to samanya for this -

***I do crumbed chops but I crumb my own. Fresh breadcrumbs or panko . heaps of fresh herbs of choice, with a pinch of curry . Flour dip, egg dip & coat . scrummy.***

As further discussed, also used it on schnitzel - so good. Not a 'curry flavour' as such but an extra dimension, well worth while.

Thanks samanya, really tasty!

samanya, Oct 7, 4:21am
Aawwww . that's so nice of you.
So pleased that you enjoyed it.
The curry does indeed add another dimension, doesn't it.
I can't quite claim the entire credit. It was one of Dame Alison's early tips . I've expanded on it because i love fresh .herbs & I use way more than she recommended. It doesn't seem to matter what combination of fresh herbs (I don't use mint though) it's always good & borage gives it a sort of 'glutinous/gelatinous'-
(if that's the correct word) layer.
I did say in another thread that I make a big pile of the coating & pop it in the freezer & it is handy to have on hand.
I cooked up some schnitzel a couple of nights ago & it was part of a cattle beast from a friend & the schnitzel was a lot thicker than what you would buy in the shops & it was delicious. Only have to cook it until the coating is nicely golden & the meat takes care of itself. Bit of a fiddle if you are cooking for a crowd though!
Thanks sampa.

rainrain1, Oct 7, 4:51am
It does sound nice, I'm going to try the curry next time I crumb the schnitzel

jaygee1962, Oct 7, 6:40am
Put a wee pinch of curry in your scrambled eggs = nice :)

cinderellagowns, Oct 7, 6:41am
Sounds great. So just chop the fresh herbs and mix in with the breadcrumbs? They "stick" ok to the meat? Forgive my ignorance - what's panko?

rainrain1, Oct 7, 6:58am
flour the meat, dip in beaten egg, then crumbs, then it will stick

karlymouse, Oct 7, 7:03am
Panko as japanese breadcrumbs. more expensive than usual breadcrumbs - I think they may have additives also. but not 100% sure on that didn't read the pack recently.

cinderellagowns, Oct 7, 7:10am
Ok, thanks.

samanya, Oct 7, 8:13am
When I use fresh herbs I use fresh breadcrumbs, not Panko. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

sampa, Oct 7, 9:38pm
I'll give it a go with the fresh crumbs next time (and there will be a next! ) this time I used dry crumbs (not Panko - tried to like them but they haven't won me over) and fresh herbs - chives, chervil, parsley and oregano - along with the curry of course. I hesitated over rosemary and, where the heck is my sage?! ? Note to self - replace sage plant ASAP. Do the stronger flavoured herbs work here?

I was most sad to see the last pieces leave home with hubby for his lunch this morning. I tried to convince him they'd be horrible but I don't think he was buying it. :(

jan2242, Oct 7, 10:28pm
latest countdown mailer has crumbed fish done with crushed corn chips. An option for gf people. I am going to try this as would be quite tasty I think

sampa, Oct 7, 10:31pm
I saw that on their site jan and it looked fab but I kept having this random thought pop into my head that ran along the lines of . fried food crumbed in already fried corn chips. I'd love to know how they turn out though if you or anyone else gives it a go.

walt, Oct 8, 3:47am
I Use crushed corn chips on my fishcakes. I then cook in the oven until golden brown. My family love them. I just mix mash with smoked salmon shape chill then coat.

samanya, Oct 8, 4:50am
That sounds great . I've heard of cornflake coating, but not corn chips.
When you say 'mash' , what sort? Potatoes?

awoftam, Sep 13, 4:49pm
Corn meal is good too.