Winter Soup

macwood2, Jul 8, 8:58pm
Need to make a nice soup without base containing lentils, peas etc for someone with diverticulitis. Does anyone have someone suitable? Thanks.

samanya, Jul 9, 2:15am
What can't a person with diverticulitis have?

lythande1, Jul 9, 2:20am
So make the soup without those things in it. heaps of recipes around for different soups. You don't need packets.

ljayl, Jul 9, 2:56am
A nice nourishing pumpkin soup YUMMY and easy as :)

ruby2shoes, Jul 9, 3:01am
bacon bone or ham hock soup, or use veg or chicken stock and just add whatever veg and herbs you like. Potato/leek soup, carrot/coriander soup.

245sam, Jul 9, 3:38am
macwood2, other than the diverticulitis are you aware of any restrictions e.g. allergy to peanuts or use of spices? If not a couple of soups that you could make and have nice and smooth are Kumara, Pumpkin and Peanut Soup or Curried Kumara (or Parsnip) Soup.

Alison Holst's KUMARA, PUMPKIN AND PEANUT SOUP
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp each of butter or peanut oil and peanut butter
½ tsp each of curry powder, crushed coriander seeds and salt
⅛-¼ tsp chilli powder
250g (9oz) each of peeled and cubed pumpkin and peeled & cubed kumara (1 fairly large) – weigh both after preparation
4 cups water
2 tsp instant chicken stock or vegetable stock for a vegetarian version

Cut the onion into quarters and peel the garlic cloves. Chop finely together in a food processor or by hand.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the chopped onion and garlic, and cook over a low heat, stirring frequently, until the onion becomes transparent. Add the curry powder, freshly ground coriander seeds, chilli powder and salt to the onion mixture on the stove and stir over moderate heat for at least a minute. Add the vegetables to the saucepan with the water and instant stock, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the peanut butter. Take care not to add too much, or the peanut flavour will drown the vegetable flavours. Purée the soup in a food processor, blender or mouli, or mash it with a potato masher to get the consistency you want. Serve soup with small, crisp, freshly made croutons or garnish with a spoonful of lightly whipped cream or unsweetened plain yoghurt, swirled on to the centre of each serving. A handful of chopped chives, spring onion leaves, parsley or coriander leaves looks attractive, too.

Alison Holst's CURRIED KUMARA SOUP
75g butter
2 cloves garlic
½-1 tsp curry powder
500g kumara
1½ cups water
2 tsp instant chicken stock
about 3 cups milk
¼ cup cream, optional

Peel the kumara with a potato peeler and slice 1cm thick.
Add the crushed garlic and curry powder to the butter in a large saucepan – don’t cook for too long at this stage as the garlic will burn and tends, then, to be bitter. Add the kumara and cook in the butter without browning, for 1-2 minutes, then add the water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, until tender. Stir in the chicken stock, then puree the soup and thin it with milk. Add the cream and reheat without boiling.
Serves 4-6.
Variation: Replace kumara with the same weight of parsnip. Different, but equally delicious.

Hope that helps. :-))

beaker59, Jul 9, 4:13am
I never use a recipe for soup, just don't put in what they can't eat.

ruby2shoes, Jul 9, 4:21am
ooh yes, Alison and Simon Holst have some fab easy recipes.

245sam, Jul 9, 4:24am
I have to agree with you there ruby2shoes, and macwood2 here's another option that you might like to consider - there should be no allergy or spice concerns with this one.

Alison Holst's CARROT (and Orange) SOUP
From Alison “Pureed, carrot soup seems more elegant. Unpureed, it has an interesting texture. The addition of the orange is optional — suit yourself!"
50g butter
2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
2 large onions, very finely chopped
500g carrots, unpeeled and grated
2 tsp sugar
4 tsp instant chicken stock
4 cups water
1 orange, optional – see note below
¼-½ cup cream – see note below

Cook the garlic and onions in the butter for 5-10 minutes, without browning. Add the carrot, sugar, instant stock and water, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Purée if desired.
Add enough orange juice and finely grated rind to give the strength of orange flavour you want note
Whisk in as much cream as you like, and adjust seasonings carefully. Reheat without boiling.
Note: I find that ½ tsp finely grated orange rind, 2 dssp orange juice and ¼ cup cream produces the flavour and creaminess that we prefer. :-))

petal1955, Jul 9, 6:11am
Can vouch for Alison Holst's Pumpkim, Kumara and Peanut Soup. scummy. -
.making another batch tonight

sarahb5, Jul 9, 6:16am
I never use any of those things in my soup

l*****1, Jul 10, 8:56am
Roast the pumkin first to add more flavour!

punkinthefirst, Jul 12, 5:15am
No fibre, salt, etc. Basically, an ulcer diet, until the inflammation settles.
Once the colon heals, you can start introducing fibre, slowly. It all depends how far along the healing journey, really.
I had diverticulitis in my early twenties. It was extremely painful, difficult to diagnose, and took years to get to the stage where I could have much fibre in my diet. Back to normal, now, except for bought frozen sausage rolls and some sausages, which both lay me low with pain, nausea, and vomiting.
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/diverticulitis-diet
Soups? Try cream soups like potato, pumpkin, cauliflower,fish or vege soups without too much fibre (or cream) and put through a mouli or sieve. NO tomato, oranges, peanuts, garlic or onion etc., until the inflammation settles. Make sure you use a good stock - that's where the flavour comes from.
Good luck, OP. Try an ulcer diet and slowly introduce one new thing at a time. Ask your doctor for ulcer medication to relieve the inevitable stomach upsets.
Oh. and sorry. NO alcohol.

bev00, Sep 23, 9:35am
Made this last night,very yummy & moreish.
3 firm pears-peeled,de-seeded & roughly chopped
3 pasnips,peeled & sliced thinly
30g butter
1 large onion finely chopped
2 tab curry powder
4 cups chicken stock
salt & pepper
Melt butter,add onion,cook 10 mins on gentle heat till onion is soft.
Add curry powder & stir to combine.
Add pears,parsnip,stock & season.
Cook, covered till parsnip is soft.
Tip into food processor & puree.
Return soup to pot,reheat & serve.
Enjoy.

suetoo (117

petal1955, Sep 25, 7:14am
Easy Vegetable Soup

Serves 2
Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons lemon thyme leaves
2 cups (500ml) tomato purée (tomato sauce)
2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 zucchini (courgette), peeled and grated
1 parsnip, peeled and grated
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Finely grated parmesan, to serve
Method
1. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the oil, onion, garlic and thyme and cook for 3 minutes or until soft.
3. Add the tomato, stock, carrot, zucchini and parsnip.
4. Cover and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer rapidly for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
5. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with salt, pepper and parmesan.