Sandwiches to Freeze ?

Page 1 / 2
rosejenny38, Jul 9, 10:11pm
I need to freeze sandwiches for my boarding grandson as I am going to Raro with his mum for a holiday. Which fillings are okay ? Cold meat probably but are egg fillings ? Thanks in anticipation.

rainrain1, Jul 9, 10:52pm
Mushed egg would possibly be alright. Melted cheese and onion spread would be tasty. Ham,
Can he not make his own?

rosejenny38, Jul 9, 11:30pm
My mistake - I should have just asked for suitable fillings that freeze well and left out the personal stuff. LOL. Would mashed egg really be okay ? Thanks.

sampa, Jul 9, 11:51pm
There's some info here to get you started with ideas rosejenny -

https://food.unl.edu/fnh/freezing-sandwiches

some terms mentioned are American but I'm sure you can modify and it'll get you started. Have a lovely holiday in Raro. we're booked to go early next year - can't wait! :)

rosejenny38, Jul 10, 12:05am
Thanks sampa - I shall check out that website. I have 14 more sleeps and I'm looking forward to it. I have also booked quite a few tours on line .

pickles7, Jul 10, 12:41am
Egg does not freeze well.
I froze luncheon and pickle sandwiches for a grandson for lunches while he was working as emergency tucker if he did not have time to make his own lunches. He never did find time to make his own. He ate them for months on end. I thought he would tire of them, he never did.

rosejenny38, Jul 10, 1:14am
Thanks for that pickles, I am going to try luncheon & pickles as one of the fillings. I don't really want grandson roaming around my kitchen making sandwiches when I'm away, as his idea of tidy is different to mine. Plus cold meat etc left in the fridge for 10 days could go off. Less hassle to tackle weekday lunches all at once. I bet McDonald's will be his choice in the weekends ?

asue, Jul 10, 1:32am
I use to freeze different type buns with different relishes, cold meat and cheese slices. Found the thickness of the buns was better when thawed (stopped going soggy).

rosejenny38, Jul 10, 1:50am
Using buns sounds like a good idea asue. Be a change from my usual sandwiches. Thanks for that.

sampa, Jul 10, 3:00am
Try Googling - freezing burritos - there's lots of info out there and it's something I've done a time or two. They freeze well and can be heated if he has access to a microwave which could be a bonus at this time of year (while you're suning on the beach sipping something cold). ;-)

sampa, Jul 10, 3:07am
And one more hint - if you want to leave him 'stuff' to make his own sammies and are worried that it might go off there are a lot of meats - shaved ham, shaved chicken, turkey etc - vaccum packed into small serving sizes these days. I buy them frequently since we tend to open something and not use it up if I purchase the larger packs of loose deli meats. Cheese is the same - the Dairyworks ones (slices) are nice - not plastic tasting.

Lasagna freezes well in individual portions if you want to leave him something that might might compete with the golden M. The male of the species quite like it as a sandwich filling too - very 'blokey'.

rosejenny38, Jul 10, 4:53am
Thanks so much sampa - it is all taken on board. Yes, I shall be trying something cold ; I think Pina Colada is its name, just got to remember to get the stuff from duty free to go with the pineapples over there.

sarahb5, Jul 10, 8:46am
I'm sorry but if he's old enough to be left home alone then he's old enough to make his own sandwiches and clean up after himself too - you have 14 days to teach him what you expect - would it be different if it was a granddaughter? I really hope not - boys are only as hopeless/helpless as we let them get away with. My kids know if I come home from work to a messy kitchen then there's no dinner until they've cleaned up their mess - I'm their mother, not their maid

rosejenny38, Jul 10, 8:52pm
WOW ! All I wanted to know were suitable fillings that freeze well . not a diatribe on how to be a successful grandmother .

sapphire152, Jul 10, 9:29pm
WOW! Calm down

rubyjane11, Jul 10, 9:54pm
far out. take a chill pill !

sarahb5, Jul 10, 10:12pm
Its about respecting you and your space but if you're OK with either doing everything for him or cleaning up after him that's your choice - it certainly wouldn't be mine - I don't need to calm down nor do I need a chill pill any more than some people in here need a reality check .

magenta, Jul 10, 10:22pm
We did some once for a huge wedding. We made club sandwiches with a variety of fillings as has already been suggested: ham, mashed egg. salmon, cheese etc. We just avoided using lettuce,tomato and sprouts. We used electric knives to cut off the crusts and cut into triangles in stacks without separating the triangles until serving. Not ideal, but still edible.

kiwicarol, Jul 10, 10:31pm
salmon sandwiches freeze well

rosejenny38, Jul 11, 12:07am
Thanks very much kiwicarol for your positive post. I shall try salmon as well as some of the other ideas given.

jwjmummy, Jul 11, 12:16am
Thank you for opening the thread rosejenny38 - I have got heaps of ideas as well. Sorry you were exposed to non food related opinions!

sampa, Jul 11, 12:25am
Is that canned or smoked salmon kiwicarol? Or both? I have some smoked salmon that I could make sammies with and freeze for easy stand-by lunches for hubby. less of course that might be construed as pampering him too much. ;-)

Let them eat cake and all that

but only once the salmon is used up.

kiwicarol, Jul 11, 6:04am
I have only done it with canned. I always add a little vinegar and pepper to tinned salmon after draining off a little of the liquid from the can. Don't see any reason you couldn't used smoked as well

uli, Jul 11, 6:30am
You could mix tinned tuna or salmon with a bit of mayo and some chives or parsley. Don't use onions they tend to go bitter in the freezer when raw.

A stiff pickle will freeze well but avoid lettuce or tomatoes they will be soggy. Any cheese will work.

However I wonder if it is not all a bit "dry" without any veges. Maybe he can take some cherry tomatoes with him and pop some into his mouth after a few bites?

Of course there are lots of other things for lunch that you could prepare and freeze for him like quiches, cut into wedges or a few mini frittatas made in a big muffin tin or bacon and egg parcels etc.

yjeva, Jul 11, 6:48am
She was asking for advice on sandwich fillings.