***Mad Butcher meat?***

Page 2 / 2
mjhdeal, Apr 27, 5:03am
Yeah, I hate that. Our local supermarket - all the free range chicken thighs and breasts are skinless. Boooooooo.

buzzy110, Apr 27, 5:30am
I agree. The skin is the best part especially when it is all roasted up and is brown and crispy. Oooohhh Yum. Anyway, I need the skin so I can slip slices of salted lemon, or blended herbs and butter between the skin and flesh.

aktow, Apr 28, 12:53pm
the mad butcher meat is crap. all his meat is tough . sausages are smaller and shorter than they used to be plus they taste horrible. the only things i buy off the mad butcher now is chicken frames and soup bones.

smallwoods, Apr 28, 8:10pm
Remember people, "The Mad Butcher" is not owned by the original person now, is corporate company, Peter is just a face.

anne1955, Apr 28, 8:44pm
Check there prices often not as cheap as supermarkets, Personally I am not fussed with there meat seems like it is water filled or something. Just not quality but in this day and age I guess price it a big thing I know for me it is. And the cheap cuts are getting more expensive than a good steak or the likes. I seen to be leaning towards bacon these days and a bit of fish and chicken. And even then if they are not marked down I just can't afford them. Sad state of affairs I have a friend who says she only eats NZ Lamb when in the UK as it's so cheap.

I wish they would bring back rabbit boards or the likes so we could buy/get cheap rabbit's and Wallabies' are a pest in Waimatie (sp) wish we could by this as well. Both great eating.

flancrest, Apr 28, 8:54pm
If you think "all his meat is tough", then you clearly don't know how to cook it. I have no problem producing tender meals from meat I buy there.

cleggyboy, Apr 28, 8:58pm
I have harped on about eating wild rabbit for ages but it is falling on deaf ears.
I can't help but wonder if the rabbit farms are stopping the wild rabbit industry.
It is available in NW supermarkets in the South Island and one in Wellington, but further north nothing to my knowledge.
It comes from Bendigo Station.
http://nzlifeandleisure.co.nz/run-rabbit-run/

maynard9, Apr 28, 10:28pm
sla11 wrote:
My understanding is that MB Palmerston North is locally supplied for most meats - told by friend who knows the supplier. Great meat too!
I would have thought they would have to label overseas supplier? Pak'nSave label any meat they sell from overseas.[/quote

That is very interesting - and would explain the variance in areas.

I refuse to buy meat from Steve's as he was prosecuted for animal cruelty and the shop looks like a pig's sty (no offence intended to pigs). They take no pride in presentation and that matters to me.

Moreish is good - their sausages in particular but can't afford on a weekly basis

aktow, Apr 29, 12:02pm
i suppose the 18 years working as a chef was a waste of time then. i know more about meat than you do.

mjhdeal, Apr 29, 7:10pm
Can you give an example of what kind of MB meat is tough?

It's just that, for example, I have found that beef cheeks in the slow cooker for ten hours = disappointing. Yet, beef cheeks in slow cooker for 12 hours = tender dreamy morsels of the gods. The extra two hours makes all the difference.

anne1955, Apr 29, 8:40pm
Yes they can be brought And for a special occasion I have brought a couple but at 20.00 each when I have lived half my life in Central Otago I don't fancy doing that again. Yes when I lived in Central I use to get them given to me. Fact first day the Collece (sp) was released I was stopped near Cromwell and had car searched for it was quite bizarre really.

muffin2, Apr 30, 1:31am
I've bought meat from the MB before, but they don't cater for couples - you can only get their meat in large packs and none of the pork or chicken is Free Range
Since watching a doco about 7-8 years ago about how every day supermarket chickens are raised wife & I now only buy free range Chicken, eggs and Pork - you can really taste the difference.
I think it is better to spend a little more and get better quality meat

porka1, Apr 30, 6:00am
And to this day not a word was uttered about who or how the calici virus was spread around lol

anne1955, May 1, 8:42pm
Yes porka1 your right there and to look t the hills and flats in Central now you wouldn't think it got 1 let alone any more :)

Now I looked t outside advertising on our "Mad Butchers'" yesterday. Says 100% New Zealand Owned and Operated. Not a thing about where meat comes from :) No NZ meat only :(

hd07, May 1, 9:00pm
I haven't shopped at the MB for a couple of years now. To be fair I didn't shop there regularly, however one opened near the supermarket I go do so for convenience I started going. I found the meat to be poor quality and fatty. I also had around 3 separate incidents, within a fairly short time span, of off meat (stunk). Will never go back.

porka1, May 2, 5:44am
Yes it is a shame about the calici virus and there don't seem to be any moves to reintroduce it.Probably still a political hot potato even though it was proved to be species specific which was a major argument against its introduction.
As for NZ meat at Mad Butcher they seem to buy anywhere they they can get cheap meat.A lot of USA pork loins get brought in and legs of pork for hams.Scandinavian pork is another one that finds a home in NZ as a result of the Russia Ukraine crisis. EU placed embargoes on Russia and Russia retaliated and included a ban on EU pork which accounted for 25% of Russias consumption and now needs to find a new home and some of it finds its way to NZ.at bargain basement prices.

cjdnzl, May 2, 8:58am
They also do on-line meat orders couriered anywhere in NZ, vacuum packed and chilled. A little more expensive than supermarkets but far better quality, all meat is certified NZ organic, as are their chickens. We buy exclusively from Morish, best meat in town.

gary13, Aug 23, 5:07pm
Hi All,
Not all meat at the Mad Butcher is imported.
Please feel free to call Dan Adams on 09 531 5911 or 021 514 768 Dan is the Operations Manager and is more than happy to discuss any concerns you may have.
Regards
Gary