***Mad Butcher meat?***

Page 1 / 2
standard, Apr 26, 2:01am
Have just heard all their meat is imported.
Anyone know if that is true?

camper18, Apr 26, 2:05am
Pretty much all of Countdowns is. I prefer Mad Butcher over Supermarkets.

kay141, Apr 26, 2:11am
Have you thought of ringing them to ask? They do say on some of their ads that it is NZ meat.

fifie, Apr 26, 2:48am
Dont like their meat at all, wouldnt surprise me if its imported.

lythande1, Apr 26, 2:51am
I doubt it, Aussie meat is far, far cheaper.
There was a bit at Pak N Save a while ago but haven't seen any since.

mjhdeal, Apr 26, 3:40am
Mad Butcher website states:
". our carcass beef and lamb is NZ Quality Mark certified, our carcass fresh pork is 100% NZ grown, and our chicken is supplied by New Zealand’s leading poultry brand. "
. which would imply, I reckon, that the pork and the chicken is NZ, but the beef and lamb are not.

eljayv, Apr 26, 4:52am
Recently mad butcher had some USA pork but they made it clear in their advtg. The Aussie butcher sells all NZ meat. They advertise that and i have asked them myself and been reassured .

kay141, Apr 26, 5:12am
That's handy to know except that the Aussie Butcher is only BOP north and O/P is in Ashburton.

kaddiew, Apr 26, 5:47am
Our local Mad Butcher store near my home opened only about a year or so ago, and the few times I've been in, I've always been the only customer. LIkewise when I drive past and glance through its large windows, its always empty. There must be an awful lot of wasted meat.

edbabynz, Apr 26, 5:52am
Not quite. Beef and lamb can't get the NZ Quality Mark if it's not from NZ.

flancrest, Apr 26, 5:53am
Whoever you heard it from has no idea what they are talking about. Some is imported, much of it isn't.

cleggyboy, Apr 26, 6:18am
All their meat is NZ unless specified I have found some MB stores sell crap others sell excellent meat, so if you are in the position to try more than one store go for it, then support the store that you feel sells good meat.
Most SM meat is crap and loaded with water to get the weight up.
Seeing the smaller butchers are competing with the rubbish that the SM's are floggiing, I suggest stick with the small butcher, of your choice.

melford, Apr 26, 7:38am
No not true - I rang tegel as I was a bit dubious about their chicken and Tegel said it is exactly the same as they supply to the supermarkets

kernal1, Apr 26, 7:56am
Beef, in my experience, is imported and certainly not up to NZ Standards. Thankfully my dogs are not fussy and only reason I shop there!

harrislucinda, Apr 26, 9:08am
lucky we do home kill

buzzy110, Apr 26, 10:38pm
I've found MB to sell good meat. It is not as good as I get from small, specialty butcher shops, where the meat is definitely more tender and nicer tasting, but it is certainly no worse than supermarket meat.

My local used to sell melt-in-your-mouth, really tasty lamb racks with the fat still on at a good price. I miss those as eventually they succumbed to pressure and started selling only the fat removed lamb racks. Maybe that is all they could by from their supplier. Sigh. Another quality cut destroyed by fat phobes.

Their advertising definitely states that all their meat is NZ meat unless otherwise stated.

village.green, Apr 26, 11:17pm
I have also asked the question at our local MB shop here in Palmy (which is always busy when I go in about once a month) and was reassured it is NZ meat - however if it doesn't say that it is from NZ then I would ask like really really cheap pork. A local independent butcher I go to was selling really cheap pork recently, not labelled as from NZ and when I enquired they said it was from Finland - it wasn't very nice (I had ribs from them) so I always ask now if not sure.
Bacon products are almost always imported unless it says otherwise so watch out for that.

maynard9, Apr 26, 11:41pm
After trying the supermarkets and local butchers here in PN I never buy any meat other than from MB. We have never been disappointed and the place of origin t is always labelled well.

Shop always busy and clean.

We don't eat a lot of meat - like x2 a week maximum but I am happy to pay for it if it is quality.

Always get my Xmas ham from MB also, in fact got another one a few weeks ago for family wedding and it was perfect. People kept asking me where I had purchased it.

buzzy110, Apr 26, 11:46pm
Mmmm. That's interesting. Palmerston North is a quite a bit further south than the Bay of Plenty. So is Lower Hutt where there is a MB.

kay141, Apr 26, 11:51pm
Of course, there is a MB in Lower Hutt. It is the Aussie Butcher who is not further south than BOP as I said. They are completely different entities.

sla11, Apr 27, 12:04am
My understanding is that MB Palmerston North is locally supplied for most meats - told by friend who knows the supplier. Great meat too!
I would have thought they would have to label overseas supplier? Pak'nSave label any meat they sell from overseas.

mjhdeal, Apr 27, 2:05am
Thanks for that :)

lythande1, Apr 27, 3:11am
LOL. The Kangaroo sure isn't!

fifie, Apr 27, 3:35am
Mad Butcher donates a lot to charity, and does a lot of good for nz through his shops and always comes across as a genuine guy to me. However his shops are only as good as his managers are i guess. I am lucky our meat is mostly farm kill with a little fat for flavour, something that is hard to get in supermarkets and butchers these days as they all have lean no fat meat that seems to be what everyone wants.

village.green, Apr 27, 3:52am
Moreish in Palmy is very good and all meat traceable if that is what you are concerned about. It is free range ( Havoc pork), chicken, beef and lamb organic, however it is expensive in comparison to supermarkets, MB etc. They make all their own sausages too, a great range of flavours.
Steve's Wholefoods in Albert St sell their own farmed beef from Pohangina, very good value, they also sell Free Farmed pork and put their own really nice flavourings/rubs on top of the whole chickens (approx $10 each) Turks.
They also sell Blackball Salami which is delish and is the first place I go to for cheese (other than 1kg blocks) as they are great value there.