HELP PLEASE TENDERIZING VENISON

angel361, Oct 15, 3:29am
have some stewing, casseroling venison that I want to make a curry out of. How to I tenderize it to allow it to be nice and soft when eaten in curry? Thanks very much peeps

rainrain1, Oct 15, 3:36am
The longer you cook it, the more tender it will be. Is it wild?

angel361, Oct 15, 3:51am
Yep it is wild. Keep the lid on the cooking implement?

rainrain1, Oct 15, 3:58am
Some of that wild venison needs a bit of cooking. long and slow. Yes lid on

uli, Oct 15, 5:24am
Slow cooker with red wine, thyme and rosemary, salt and pepper for 8 hours at least. Will come out fantastic - add some cream before serving and maybe add a bit of flour to thicken sauce.

fishnwally, Oct 15, 5:45am
Best way to get venison tender is slow cook, yes it takes longer but the end results are amazing

beaker59, Oct 15, 5:57am
long and slow for a casserole but the old Venison is tough thing is getting harder for me to accept. Because its so lean then it either needs very little cooking or allot, however I find that almost all the animal can be cut into tender steaks and what's left can be minced there is very little that actually needs to be casseroled. Even shank meat minced then with nothing added just form into a pattie and fry like a medium rare steak and its gorgeous.

glasshalfull, Oct 15, 8:44am
A pressure cooker is the best way of tenderising any cut of meat. Hands down!

lythande1, Oct 15, 6:11pm
You don't. You cook the curry as you would a stew or casserole.

rainrain1, Oct 16, 11:12pm
Nobody really said is was tough, the flavours absorb better when cooked a while I think, plus it certainly needs some additions to make it tasty, otherwise it can be utterly bland .

sla11, Oct 16, 11:21pm
I add Garlic when using Slow Cooker. Braise meat first to reduce shrinkage. Leftovers mince up fine for Shepherds Pie, Rissoles. Agree it's bland by itself!

donna23, Oct 16, 11:46pm
Marinate overnight in coca cola(yes!), rinse well (discard coke) & cook. The coke takes away the real "gaminess" and tenderises the meat.

daarhn, Oct 17, 4:18am

beaker59, Oct 18, 2:09am
Bland venison, mmmmmmmmmmmm must be a South Island thing ;)

rainrain1, Oct 18, 5:42am
Must be, but then I'm a girl, my man thinks it's wonderful, but I don't. I only eat the fillet steaks. BUT. I have invented a crockpot recipe that I eat a little of ;)

mumstu, Oct 18, 5:47am
Long and slow. We have venison all the time (yes South Island stuff too ;). not bland).
Long and slow is the secret. I curry it all the time and its fine.

About 5 hours in the crockpot is perfect.

rainrain1, Oct 18, 5:55am
Curry it to hide the bland?

portroyal4, Oct 19, 6:00am
Kiwi fruit

kcak, Oct 21, 10:52pm
Red wine vinegar?

jia5, Aug 18, 10:53am
I can not understand why some add all these different things to wild meat to 'tenderize' it or make it taste better. The gaminess of it is the best taste in my opinion.