Nice salads for Xmas (without lettuce)

Page 2 / 2
jbsouthland, Nov 27, 10:26am
A friend always made this salad. sound ghastly but is actually very nice esp when wanting a few different salads . though Jo cut the carrots into matchsticks
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/marinated-carrot-salad/cad31b22-a1ce-4fe6-b387-bd7ad6f137e1

sampa, Nov 27, 7:10pm
Thanks uli and punkinthefirst. I'll have a look for some seeds this weekend and see what they come to. Sounds like a little will go a long way taste wise.

245sam, Nov 27, 9:44pm
stroppywench, have you thought of bean salad? I have a recipe that is very similar to the Bean Salad that was available at KFC - if you want/need a recipe I will post it for you. I have found it to be very useful because IMO it is best made ahead of time (1-2 weeks?) and of course, keep it refrigerated. I use a storage container with a good firm lid and find it best also to tip the container upside down and back again every day or so to ensure that all the beans, etc. are coated with the dressing. :-))

cookessentials, Nov 27, 10:02pm
Here is one l got out of a magazine or paper and it is very nice, l am not into mint but l loved it in the recipe.

RIPE'S RAW ENERGY SALAD

500g beetroot (peeled and grated)

700g carrot (peeled and grated)

1 cup fresh mint leaves chopped
½ cup raisins
¼ cup sunflower seeds (toasted)
¼ cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
½ tsp salt

DRESSING
2 TBSP pomegranate molasses
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup olive oil
1 tbsp honey

Dressing

Place all ingredients in a jar, put lid back on and shake well to mix.

Salad

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then pour over the dressing and toss

cookessentials, Nov 27, 10:03pm
Here is a recipe from rawmazing. it is for a chilli using green lentils. ( we used to love lentils and I thought I would not be able to have them until I read this recipe) All you do is soak them overnight. I made it last weekend but I soaked overnight and part of the next day as we were away from home for the day. Bear in mind she says 2 tablespoons of chilli! I am sure it is a misprint as I used two level tsp which was plenty hot enough for us. I did add the chopped fresh tomato into it and the sauce is scrumptious too. You need a min one hour to marinate the carrot and onion mix. I diced finely but not fine enough, so popped it in the kitchen whizz and pulsed to get it nice and fine. It serves four, so it gave us two evening meals. We loved it so much, I am making it again this weekend.

http://www.rawmazing.com/raw-chili/

REMEMBER DO NOT PUT IN TWO TABLESPOONS OF CHILLI! Just use coconut sugar. I only had rapadura sugar and use only one tbsp.

rarogal, Nov 27, 11:37pm
Sounds wonderful, I'm going to make both for Xmas! Thanks!

samell, Nov 27, 11:53pm
Watermelon & Minted Pea Salad
Looks really festive.
Dice watermelon intto small pieces.
Mix with Frozen minted peas.
Mix through with mint jelly (not mint sauce).

Put in a bowl and serve chilled.
Sounds a weird combination but is really easy and refreshing.

jbsouthland, Nov 28, 12:14am
I'd love it . pretty please :)

stroppywench, Nov 28, 1:57am
Wow- some lovely sounding recipes here, thanks so much, some combinations I never would have thought of!

245sam, Nov 28, 2:18am
Sure, here it is for you jbsouthland.

BEAN SALAD
Dressing:
½ cup each of sugar, cider vinegar and salad oil
1 tsp salt
shake pepper

Place the dressing ingredients into a screw-topped jar in the order given, then screw the top on the jar and shake the jar to mix all the ingredients together and to dissolve the sugar.

Salad:
2 cups each of cooked green beans and cooked butter beans (aka Golden Wax beans)
1-2 cups cooked red kidney beans – drained canned or home-cooked
½ cup (100g) chopped green capsicums
½ cup (70g) sliced onions

Combine all the vegetables, then pour the dressing over them and leave the vegetables to stand in the dressing for at least several hours – this salad will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks but should be frequently tossed around in its container to keep the vegetables all coated with the dressing. Drain, if desired, before serving. :-))

lythande1, Nov 28, 2:59am
So take your recipe and leave out the lettuce. I do.

cookessentials, Nov 28, 3:17am
Toadfishes Brown Rice Salad

1 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup soya sauce (light if available)
1/2 onion finely chopped

Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool (a couple of hours preferably overnight)

Add the following ~
1 red pepper chopped
2 Spring Onions
1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped ( I leave them whole)
1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas.

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp honey or Sugar

Mix and pour over salad. Mix well.
I have the dressing in a jar, the nuts etc in a bag and the rice in the fridge and just mix together last minute.

toadfish (1770 1770 positive feedback) 11:56 pm, Sat 17 Dec #36

jbsouthland, Nov 28, 3:18am
Many thanks . !

245sam, Nov 28, 4:49am
My pleasure - you're most welcome, jbsouthland. :-))

sampa, Nov 28, 7:26pm
245sam I'll be making your bean salad too. Fantastic idea to have something that can happily 'hang' in the fridge for a decent period of time to pull out over the silly season of leftovers and BBQ's. :)

Stoppywench (lol - love your name!) there are some interesting salad ideas to be found on this link -

http://www.newworld.co.nz/search?search=Salad

blueviking, Nov 28, 8:18pm
Strawberry ,Asparagus & Avocado Salad.
Equal amouts of all 3. Blanch the asparagus and I cut into 3's. Use an avocado that is just going soft, peel,quarter and dice.(dip in lemon juice to stop from going brown) Remove the green hulls from the strawberries and 1/2 or 1/4 them depending on size. Pile on a serving plate and drizzle this dressing over.
Dressing: 1/4 cup avocado oil, 1 lge clove garlic crushed, 3 tblsps lemon juice, freshly ground salt & pepper to taste, handful of freshly chopped basil. Whisk together.
I never ate avo's until I made this salad. Now it's a staple summer salad

Red salad.
Slice the following: tomato,radish,red capsicum,red onion.
Throw in a bowl with a tblspn of brown sugar and 1/2 fill the bowl with white wine vinegar. Mix together. Stir the ingredients through every so often to make sure it all marinates.

Pasta Salad(curry flavoured)
This is the only time I eat curry.
Boil a pkt of pasta as per directions. Rinse and cool slightly.
Add the following: Sliced green or red capsicum(red ones are usually in the preceeding salad and green give a nice colour variation) 1 of usually. Sliced ham, sliced or after Christmas, diced(you don't have to put this in if you don't want)
Sauce: Tblsp hot curry powder(don't worry, it won't be that hot in the end & if you like it hotter, just add more)
1 tblsp castor sugar, 1/4 cup oil(use nice oil) 1 tblsp whit vinegar. 1/2 cup cream(if you don't have cream, just use mayonnaise & less oil)
Combine all the ingredients and enjoy.
I can usually make all these salads by the time the pasta has boiled

valentino, Nov 28, 9:13pm
Avocado, feta and roasted tomato salad

Ingredients
1kg roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled, thinly sliced lengthways
3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
375g small green beans, trimmed
1/3 cup dark olives
2 avocados, halved, stones removed, peeled, roughly chopped
100g marinated feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup tightly-packed small basil leaves

Method

Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Combine tomatoes, garlic and 2 tablespoons oil in a bowl. Toss gently to coat. Spread over tray. Season with salt and pepper. Roast tomatoes for 35 minutes or until tender. Set aside for 20 minutes to cool.

Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat. Add beans and cook for 3 minutes or until bright green and tender. Drain and refresh under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Divide beans among bowls.

Top beans with olives, tomatoes, avocado, feta and basil. Drizzle each with 1 teaspoon oil and season with black pepper. Serve with pan-fried or barbecued chicken.

valentino, Nov 28, 9:24pm
A Very easy one and goes great with lamb.

Balsamic and beetroot salad

2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
100g at least baby rocket leaves
1 medium red capsicum, chopped
1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
425g can baby beets, drained, halved
60g reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled

Combine garlic and 2 tablespoons vinegar in a shallow glass or ceramic dish.
Season with salt and pepper.
Turn to coat.
Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes to allow flavours to develop.
Combine rocket, capsicum onion, parsley, baby beets and remaining vinegar in a large bowl.
Place rocket mixture on a serving plate.
Top with feta.
Serve.

This recipe in the main has Lamb pieces/strips through it, About 450g Lamb steak sliced and cooked lightly in a pan lightly sprayed with oil then added with the first part before turning to coat all part.

Cheers

valentino, Nov 28, 9:29pm
This has lettuce (cos type) in it but added as a variation to normal and found that one can add or change the lettuce to most other greens.

Greek chopped salad

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 baby cos lettuce
1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 Lebanese cucumber, quartered lengthways, chopped
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
60g feta cheese, cubed
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
Method
Place oil and vinegar in a screw-top jar. Season with salt and pepper. Secure lid. Shake to combine.
Remove outer leaves and core from lettuce. Separate leaves. Wash and pat dry with a tea towel. Roughly chop. Place lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber, olives, feta and basil in a bowl. Add dressing. Toss to combine. Serve.

valentino, Nov 28, 9:33pm
My family favourite is this one, very nice.

Japanese Spinach salad

2 eggs,
1 sheet nori cut into matchsticks,
150g baby spinach leaves,
1 small red onion finely sliced,
½ daikon radish ( similar to Chinese turnip ) finely sliced,
2 Lebanese cucumbers sliced,
30g pickled ginger sliced,
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds.

DRESSING; 1/3 cup light olive oil,
1 tablespoon rice vinegar,
1 tablespoon light soy sauce.

Preheat element to hot.
Beat the eggs lightly in a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon water and the nori.
Season well.
Heat and grease a 20cm omelette pan, pour in the mixture to make a thin omelette, when lightly browned flip and repeat.
Turn out onto a chopping board and leave to cool.
Cut the omelette into thin strips.

To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and soy sauce until combined. Toss together the spinach leaves, onion, daikon, cucumber, ginger, toasted sesame seeds, omelette strips and dressing in a large bowl.
Ready to serve.

P.S. Nori sheet is those dried seaweed sheets used for outers of some Japanese Sushi Rolls.

niffer13, Nov 28, 9:45pm
These are my 2 favourite to make for pot luck dinners & I get lots of complements & People asking for the recipe

CURRIED CAULIFLOWER SALAD
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream or plain yoghurt
2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
1 finely chopped onion
Parsley, chopped
1 uncooked cauliflower, cut up into very small florets
1/2 cup raisins, add more if you like
Cashew nuts as many as you like at the last minute
Best made a day before it is needed

Rice Salad
1 Cup rice – I use brown sometimes
1 cup mixed veg or peas
1 chopped onion
½ cup sultanas
½ cup chopped celery or capsicum
Cook rive & add veg in last few min.
Mix up
1 tsp salt
2 tsp curry powder
3 tablespoons vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons oil
Add to rice. You can add tumeric to make more yellow. Tumeric meant tyo be good for joints.

sheryl1905, Dec 13, 5:45am
bumping again for new ideas

sossie1, Apr 20, 10:18am
Couscous in chicken stock, with chargrilled veges and feta cheese and olives. Always depends though on making an awesome dressing