Cream cheese/feta cheeseball- what else can I add?

nunesy, Jan 29, 7:56pm
All the cheeseball recipes here but use cream cheese and normal cheese or blue. Feta is quite strong so I'm not sure what to add to make it a bit more exciting. It's for cheeseball 'bites'. Original recipe uses cream cheese and blue cheese with cranberries, but says to substitute feta if you don't like blue cheese, but doesn't give an alternative to the cranberry addition. Usually I'd add pickle or chopped olives or spring onion but not sure that these would work with feta. Any ideas? Thanks!

valentino, Jan 29, 8:23pm
Hmmm, my partner is doing our dinner salad tonight and doing it the basic Bulgarian - Greek style with just Feta, cucumber, tomatoes, maybe one two other cheeses and those "Red Peppers" - not the capsicum ones but the big longish ones, end of - seeds saved for planting - laid flat under grill to blacken skin and then cool and peel the skin then cut into strips into the salad with a wee dressing.

This is lovely especially in hot weather.

Editing to add that "Nosh" supermarkets sell these and are on a constant price special, we picked up quite a few as can be frozen and used later as well but not as or like the freshly ones.
Cheers

dalkemade, Jan 29, 8:44pm
Chopped crystallised ginger goes very well in a cream cheese based cheese ball

245sam, Jan 29, 9:39pm
nunesy, how about a combo of cream cheese, feta and sun-dried tomatoes and maybe if you feel the mix needs a little something else, some pesto or fresh basil?

Hope that helps. :-))

nunesy, Jan 29, 10:24pm
Ooh I like the sundried tomatoes, would give it a little colour - thanks! dalkemade, can see ginger/cream cheese going together but for me, ginger and feta are both very strong so think I'll keep that for a plainer cheeseball. Right, off to get some sundried tomatoes (and happy for the excuse to buy them!). Making them for tomorrow. If I remember will give feedback on the final result! Valentino must remember that salad for when I need one - sounds simple and delicious.

katalin2, Jan 29, 11:59pm
I would also add some mainland tasty cheese grated to give it some body and firmness. I have made lots of cheese balls this summer as people have been asking for my cheese balls, I don't use a recipe anymore, just use grated tasty cheese, cream cheese, pickle, a little curry powder, fresh herbs such as parsley chives and v finely chopped onion. Sometimes I put it in the freezer briefly to firm up. Basically you can add whatever you have to the above ingredients. Roll in paprika.

valentino, Jan 30, 12:10am
Oh, meant that Red Peppers added to cheese balls but prepare them first as noted. Another nice one is Pickled Gherkins.

Cheers

Editing to add, LOL, must be getting these old brain (whatevers).

nunesy, Jan 30, 3:58am
Right! I ended up putting some finely chopped spring onions in (from a recipe I googled) and sundried tomatoes, and cracked pepper. Tasted pretty good so when it's firm and ready to roll into balls I'll have another taste :) Thinking I'll try and toast some chopped nuts to roll them in as the recipe calls for pecans which I don't have and don't like anyway!

ciannz, Feb 5, 5:49pm
I make mine with cream cheese, grated tasty cheese, gerkins, capers. pickled onions, cracked pepper and roll in crushed nuts yummy