How do you organise your kitchen drawers?

Page 1 / 2
sue62, Jul 30, 8:24am
I am always scrabbling through the piles of kitchen implements that are thrown into my kitchen drawers to find what I want.
Has anyone discovered a good system for keeping everything sorted?
Thanks

duckmoon, Jul 30, 9:07am
I am short of real drawer in my kitchen - most of the drawers are actually cupboards (for pots and things).

I have one drawer with cutlery (compartments for knives, forks etc)
I keep my knives on a magnetic strip on the wall.
I have a draw for utentsils. It has three plastic containers in it. One small one runs front to back - and has small things in it (ice cream scoop, potato peeler etc), and two runs left to right (2/3rds of the width of the drawer) - which has wooden spooner, potato masher etc

the next drawer has small plastic containers (the kids use them for school lunches)
next draw telephone book
last draw has tea towels and gladwrap, tin foil etc

If you think you have too much stuff, then put all the content of the drawer into a box. It only returns to the drawer after you have used it. and if it is still in the box after a month, send it to the op shop

sarahb5, Jul 30, 9:13am
I really only have one drawer with utensils - the only organisation I use is that all the handles must face one way so I can grab them easily.

ycart3, Jul 30, 9:25am
top drawer is the cutlery, 2nd drawer large cooking utensils, 3rd drawer is tea towels, 4th drawer is the junk drawer.

brightspark81, Jul 30, 9:34am
Do you have kitchen wall space to put in a utensil rack? I have a long rack over the kitchen bench, with hooks for things like egg slices, whisks, peelers, tongs, graters, potato masher, sieves, funnels, anything that can be stored on hooks. It is great not to have to scramble around in a drawer for utensils.

lynja, Jul 30, 6:51pm
I recently had a real sort out of my kitchen drawers and the one thing I have done is to place all utensils in the same direction, AND will try to maintain that order! I have a separate drawer for cutlery (easy as it has a plastic liner), another for odds and ends, another for large items like spatulas, potato masher, very larger serving spoons etc , and another for graters, lemon squeezers etc. I think having a dish washer you need at least double ups of most items, which does create problems!

xtownie, Jul 30, 7:27pm
I try to but also have 4 teenagers who take turns at emptying the dishwasher so the neatness never lasts long. It frustrates the hell out of me, as I'm a neat freak so im always weighing up weather my neatness is more important than the kids helping. Same with my "Tupperware cupboard"
Oh, and I have 3 untensil draws, one everyday cutlery draw, and another draw for cake forks parfait spoons, pâté knives etc, so is mere impossible relying on my helpers to get it right each time.

lythande1, Jul 30, 7:39pm
I don't keep things that never get used.
I have 5 drawers, top for cutlery with a compartment tray.
The rest have items sorted according to use and size.
So it's roomy.
Use containers too, small things can be placed in them, and stacked neatly, so you don't end up having to rummage at all.

molly37, Jul 30, 8:01pm
my new small kitchen has lots of large drawers. I keep stored food in one, like packets etc. Crockery we use in another. Tupperware and bowls in another. Top drawer which is thinner but wide holds all our tinned cans. Then their is basic utensils, tea towels and glad wraps etc, bottom drawer hold electric knife, beater, whizzer, and all my coffee pods. Our pantry is small so i especially love the tins drawer and crockery drawers.

sue62, Jul 31, 7:37am
Thanks, lots of great ideas

lynja, Jul 31, 6:50pm
wow lenart, beautifully organised! My problem is too many items I think, many of which are hardly used I must add!

lenart, Jul 31, 7:01pm
I saw it in TV programme too, but I'd say keep the box for a little longer, some utensils can be used not every month.
I have a different issue though, too many storage containers :) I have glass containers, glass jars and enameled containers. Use them all, but need to find some solution where to store them.

sue62, Aug 2, 7:30am
Time for another sort out Lynja !

Amazing drawers Lenart, wish I could be as minimalist

elsielaurie1, Aug 2, 8:59am
Whatever I store in my utensil drawer my one cardinal rule is - always store sharp knives blade down with the handle facing the front of the drawer.

kay34, Aug 3, 9:42am
Ive just cleaned mine out - took everything out, wiped insides down, put things back - and half filled a plastic bag to take to my Op shop

drommy, Aug 3, 7:36pm
Crikey, there are some really tidy kitchens out there!

Our kitchen doesn't have a lot of storage space. We have one drawer for our 'every day' items, but it's got three compartments built into it so there's not a lot of flexibility. Things that are a bit cutty go on the right (knives, tin opener, potato peeler etc). Things that are a bit prongy go in the middle (forks, chopsticks, pastry brush etc). Things that are a bit scoopy go on the right (spoons, tea strainers etc).

It's pretty chaotic and I wouldn't recommend it!

We have a utensil rack for things like whisks and ladles, and a magnetic strip for sharp knives.

Edited to fix grammar and spelling.

lenart, Aug 4, 1:43am
That's the spirit! Well done! Believe it or not I am trying to do the same every few months, going around the house to find the stuff that I don't use. I come from a hoarder family and I grew up in a country with shortage of nearly everything. Had to re-educate myself here and still battling with old habits.

lenart, Aug 4, 1:48am
Really funny, like your division: cutty/prongy/scoopy, will take it onboard :)
Must admit, had another look at my pictures, looks a bit freakish. But it is working for me.

drommy, Aug 4, 3:24am
I'd love to be that organised! Unfortunately, we've got a wee house with 'original' (ie: old) features in the kitchen especially. That combined with a housemate who has a tendency to not get rid of things that we don't need (because 'it might hurt its feelings'. sigh) means that our kitchen will NEVER look like yours.

It does make it an edventure to open that drawer though. And putting things away can be a challenge. some things don't lend themselves well to the cutty/prongy/scoopy divide.

buzzy110, Aug 4, 3:35am
Your drawers look lovely lenart, not freakish at all. However, they are a hard act to follow. All my frequently used cooking utensils are stuffed upright into terracotta pots and live on the bench, along with bowls of fruit, knife blocks and frequently used electrical appliances. Easy to get at, DH can figure out where to put things when emptying the dishwasher and doing the dishes and everything is within easy reach. My cupboards and drawers are ancient, impractical and terrible to behold but I have bench space for Africa so it is a no brainer for me.

dibble35, Aug 4, 4:48am
I have a whole 3 drawers in my new place, nowhere near enough space. 2 of the drawers were very deep. In the middle one where all my utensils other than cutlery, cheese slice, potato peeler and sharp knives went, it was a bit chaotic. I ended up finding some stackable trays at the warehouse the other day that came in some funky colours (purple for me) and putting all the most used utensils in the top and the least used in the bottom tray, the top tray comes out easily so access is good. Its working well so far.

ry5, Aug 24, 8:13am
snap! - me too!

rarogal, Aug 26, 10:03am
I have 2 large draws for my cutlery, one for every day use and one full of utensils I don't use often and a good set of cutlery. The inserts were made to fit so there are places for everything, including pate knives etc. I dread moving house one day and not having these drawers!

rainrain1, Aug 26, 8:31pm
Terrifying!

cosimo, Aug 26, 11:20pm
Looks blooming lovely. But I don't think you have lived long enough, yet, to develop the real essence of the 2nd drawer, which is "clutter".