Sad news about Alison Holst

Page 1 / 3
mjhdeal, Apr 12, 7:21pm
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/celebrities/67699817/much-loved-chef-dame-alison-holst-suffering-from-dementia

My first cookbook was by Alison Holst. I still use many of her recipes regularly.

rainrain1, Apr 12, 8:10pm
Goodness, that is really sad, wonder how old she is now?

fifie, Apr 12, 8:16pm
Through her books i learnt to bake, and cook nice meals for my family when they were growing up still have lots of her books which my girls use today. So very sad to read this news.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 12, 8:16pm
Born 1938.

pickles7, Apr 12, 8:19pm
The Holst family have asked for privacy at this time.

buzzy110, Apr 12, 8:46pm
which makes her 76-77.

lilyfield, Apr 12, 9:03pm
good grief- my age- What is to come?

kay141, Apr 12, 9:08pm
There is another thread in general with less concentration on how old she is and more on what a good person she is.

A lovely, kind and generous woman, who, it is a privilege to know.

I see an article on Stuff saying being fat in middle age seems to prevent dementia. Of course, you may die younger from other causes.

village.green, Apr 12, 9:23pm
I love her books and have a few, however this news doesn't surprise me as my mother in law (same age) said she came to give a talk a couple of years ago at her quilting group and she was very confused and it they were all a bit worried for her.

edlin, Apr 12, 9:23pm
Alison inspired many budding cooks. I have some of her recipe books and there are some great family favourites in them. Thank you,Alison

family007, Apr 12, 9:27pm
Aw that's so sad. I hope however much time she has is spent with her loved ones. I grew up watching her on tv and have many recipe books of hers. I rely on her recipes and methods and have passed her hints and tips to my daughter.
I have only ever had one failure with her recipes, and that was my fault for forgetting to defrost the filo pastry!
All he best to her xx

buzzy110, Apr 12, 9:33pm
I think the age thing was to demonstrate that she is at a good age and so it is not such a tragedy that she is now suffering from this most horrid of diseases.

I wouldn't place too much faith in what Stuff has to say about overweight in middle age and prevention of dementia. There is just as much proof, more in fact, that those who eat a diet high in grains and sugar and who drink alcohol will be the ones who get dementia. But CORRELATION isn't CAUSATION or we'd all have dementia because a high grain high sugar diet is more the norm these days, than not.

rockie6, Apr 12, 9:38pm
Alison Holst spoke at our soup lunceon at the garden club. She is amazing and has such a neat personality, it just draws you in. I had a couple of my late mother in laws really old cookbooks that she signed for me. She said, " I love to see a battered cookbook, shows you have used it" lol. My own book she signed was in nearly new condition. Ummm Shumma Lumma.

buzzy110, Apr 12, 9:41pm
She certainly captured the hearts and imaginations of NZers.

kay141, Apr 12, 9:42pm
Some may consider mid 70s to be a good age, I do not. As for the article on Stuff, I never said I believed it, just commented on what the research has shown.

mjhdeal, Apr 12, 9:48pm
When I left home as a teenager, I couldn't cook. Quite literally, didn't know how to boil an egg. If it wasn't for the Edmond's cookbook and Alison Holst's 'Meals Without Meat' book, I would have died of scurvy ha ha.
My very first ever dinner party, I used Alison's recipes, to great success.

lulu239, Apr 12, 9:50pm
I had the privilege of having my mother's pumpkin fruit cake recipe included in her recipe web site. Surely an honour as they would have tested it.

I have her book "A Home Grown Cook" the Alison Holst Story. It is a delightful read. Many of NZ cooks will be sending their love and good wishes to Alison and her family. That disease is so sad.

buzzy110, Apr 12, 9:57pm
You are correct about the age, however, she is 77 and not 45 or 55 which would have been a real tragedy as opposed to something very, very sad for her family. They have had the great good fortune to have their mother for that length of time and she still has a little bit of life left in her yet. Not everyone is that lucky.

I merely commented on your mention of the article. Recommending that people fatten themselves up in mid-life to prevent Alzheimers is sooo wrong on so many levels. Could it be that overweight middleagers do not get Alzheimers because they all die from CVD and diabetes related diseases before they get the chance to find out?

kaddiew, Apr 12, 10:09pm
BEFORE this thread descends into yet another spat, how about sticking to acknowledging a lady who inspires so many NZ home cooks.

kay141, Apr 12, 10:17pm
Sorry, I know I should not respond but I am getting a little annoyed with not being able to post my views without being attacked.

I have known Alison since we were children and she does not deserve this.

rainrain1, Apr 12, 10:20pm
Asking her age was not meant to be insulting. Just couldn't believe she is old enough yet, she is older than I thought, and that is not meant to be insulting either. How time flies

kaddiew, Apr 12, 10:39pm
My remark wasn't aimed at you, kay141. : )

buzzy110, Apr 12, 11:18pm
Well now you know how it feels when someone decides to get onto their high horse, make an incorrect assumption and then post a passive agrressive remark about it.

Alison is 76-77 years of age and is very popular with a huge portion of NZ females who cook. As one celebrity commented, her repository of knowledge will live on long after she is gone and she will be quoted, recommended and generally talked about for many generations to come, in the same way that Aunt Daisy is. Her recipes will continue to live on forever and, no doubt many celebrity chefs/cooks who come after will take her recipes, make small changes and call them their own. I have no doubt that her own recipes and knowledge owed something to the cooks and chefs of previous generations as well.

buzzy110, Apr 12, 11:28pm
I did not attack you. I commented on suggestion that people who are overweight are protected against Alzheimers. How is that an attack on you. It isn't even your own opinion, apparently.

And btw, kaddiew can hardly make a negative post about our 'conversation' and mean only me. There are two people in this conversation so whether she likes it or not, her negativity extends to you as well.

Was Alison not overweight in her middle years? I don't know. I've never met the woman, nor do I posses even one of her recipe books. I never watched cooking shows and apart from having a good read of her bread book at Borders have never so much as glanced inside any other of her books. I had no feelings about her one way or the other and I feel the same about you. My concern was the impression being given out by Stuff (whatever that is) that being overweight in middle age, or any age for that matter, is a good thing.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 12, 11:40pm
Something that I admired about Alison was her calmness in the kitchen.