Sad news about Alison Holst

Page 2 / 3
kaddiew, Apr 12, 11:44pm
Here's a rather nice interview with her in 2011, where she talks about the early days in her career.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/capital-life/in-the-kitchen/6039401/Alison-Holst-still-cooking-and-writing-at-73

nana_gee, Apr 13, 12:57am
So sad to hear this.Have several of Alison's cook books and love the little tid bits she writes about her recipes.She will have inspired many cooks in New Zealand and continue to do so.

kay141, Apr 13, 1:02am
Wow, it is obvious you haven't read the article.
!/ Stuff is a Fairfax owned internet news agency, just like a newspaper only online so they do not make recommendations.
2/ There were no recommendations in the article which was about research that showed the underweight (34 % higher) middle aged were more likely to develop dementia than those who were obese( 29% lower) compared to those of normal weight. This was at 55 years of age. whether you agree, or think I do, is immaterial to the subject.
BTW, I have no idea whether Alison was overweight or not. I don't know what she weighed nor is it my business to know.

kay141, Apr 13, 1:23am
Got interrupted so had to add this later.
This thread is a wonderful lady. I added the comment about the research as a joke because they were reported the same day. You admit you know nothing about the woman concerned but because I posted, it appears you must disagree. I really wonder sometimes.

family007, Apr 13, 1:31am
Quit the bickering you lot. This thread is about an amazing woman of whole we are slowly losing to Dementia. Has some respect for her eh? She is a NZ icon who deserves to be treated with dignity.
Funny how these threads go off topic.

venna2, Apr 13, 1:35am
I wouldn't have thought she'd want the whole world to know.

pickles7, Apr 13, 1:36am
Shame !

fifie, Apr 13, 1:37am
Lets keep this thread of happy memories of a great cook She taught many of us the finer art of cooking and will continue to help the next generation through her son Simon. Its nobodys business how old she is or whether she was fat or skinny in her middle years, the family have chosen to let people know this sad news because she was appreciated by a lot of people and i hope she is kept comfortable and loved in her remaining years.

venna2, Apr 13, 1:38am
Mid-70s is definitely a good age. Too many of my own family have died at much younger ages.

motorbo, Apr 13, 1:38am
im not a buzzy fan. and usually never in their corner . but I have to say that she didn't start anything, she merely made a comment . that was then taken as an attack. it was just a comment

mnkool, Apr 13, 1:47am
Oddly my mother didnt think much of Alison's recipes - she wouldnt have any of her cookbooks in the house. However once I left home, I ended up using her recipes and in time her son Simon's as he supplied recipes to little Treasures magazine in a decade ago. I have several of her cookbooks and are now are up too the second copy of her Best of recipe book.

korbo, Apr 13, 2:00am
well said fifie. I have lost count of the many Alison books I have, and still refer to them many times. She is a beautiful lady, and with her lovely family, will manage this stage of life as it progresses

buzzy110, Apr 13, 2:32am
Why not stick to Alison Holst now. You knew her (post #20). You must have some lovely anecdotes to share with interested readers.

unknowndisorder, Apr 13, 2:39am
she has been a public figure for many years, so it seems "fair" (not sure that is the right word) that they at least tell us that much.

they don't want to talk about it any further, which is totally understandable. I guess it is respect both ways - let the public know what is going in and now our turn to respect them by leaving them alone - I hope the media leave the family in peace and not decide to ask anything "on our behalf". (Having worked with media for years, I have no faith in their scruples).

best wishes to the Holst family and thanks for sharing your mum with us :)

kay141, Apr 13, 3:19am
Thank you for the invitation but I must decline. IMO, it is OK to swap anecdotes etc. among family and friends, it is a completely different matter to post them in the chinese whispers society of messageboards and cyberspace without their permission.

duckmoon, Apr 13, 5:43am
when I left home, I couldn't cook.

it was Dame Alison Holst who taught me.

It was a pleasure to meet her 10 years later, and say so.

I am extremely grateful for the contribution she has made to me and to this nation

rainrain1, Apr 13, 6:06am
Popular Potatoes by Simon and Alison Holst, is one of my favourite recipe books. 100 delicious recipes yum yum I must drag it out now that Winter is here

kaddiew, Apr 13, 6:19am
I've been batch cooking & freezing her very easy microwave meatballs recipe for decades. So handy.

murfee, Apr 13, 6:43am
I went to Maori Hill School with Kirsten and remember 'Mrs Holst' providing awesome after school snacks :-) I also remember the excitement at school when Kirsten told us her mum was going to be on tv!
Horrible for family but hasn't she left an awesome legacy to NZ culinary history :-)
It's sad to read posts and see people being petty and nasty to one another . . . doubt Mrs Holst would have been impressed - be nice and positive people :-)

sampa, Apr 13, 8:24am
Too sad for words. Such a lovely lady, what an inspiration! She has cared so much and has passed on such a lot to so many. That's a true legacy and something to be cherished.

A New Zealand icon. Thank you Alison for sharing your knowledge and spirit with us all. Through your cook books and good common sense approach to food and the well being of families you'll remain in our hearts and homes for a very long time to come.

jetxr8, Apr 13, 8:31am
A couple of years ago, I emailed her son Simon Holst (who is a chef) with a cooking question.
His prompt email reply was: "I'll ask Mum."

motorbo, Apr 13, 9:50am
a lovely memory, thanks for sharing

griffo4, Apr 13, 10:49pm
Alison has been such an inspiration and her family is possibly bringing this horrible disease to the attention of us all in the hope some sort of cure can be found or way of slowing it down
Such an amazing positive lady, very sad, but her legacy will live on in all her books

Lulu would you be kind enough to direct me to the web site with the recipe please?

lulu239, Apr 14, 1:57am
I have checked and that particular site seems to have gone, but here is the recipe.

PUMPKIN FRUIT CAKE

225g butter 1 cup sugar 2 eggs
2 cups flour 1 cup cold mashed pumpkin
1tsp Baking powder 1 tsp lemon essence 1 tsp vanilla essence
500g Alison’s Supreme Cake Fruit Mix

Pre-heat oven to 180°. Grease and line a 20c ring tin. Cream butter and sugar until
fluffy. Add eggs one at a time mixing thoroughly then add the pumpkin. Mix well
then add the sifted flour and baking powder. Lastly add the fruit and essences. Bake
for 1 – 1½ hours depending on ones oven. This is a nice moist cake.

griffo4, Oct 11, 6:01pm
Thank you so much Lulu will make it soon as l have have heaps of pumpkins