SCONES

Page 2 / 2
pickles7, Jul 16, 6:42am
You should still be able to find the post you are talking about. Where I use the "crafted by myself" words.
It is five in total, I was a little deliberate about it. Testing! .

Since you're concerned that I might be showing bias, it was pickles' insistence that she had invented the 'Vogel's No-Knead' bread that made me pursue it, because I thought that Jacqueline, the original NZ creator (from whom pickles had lifted every single word, even the 'asides') deserved credit for what is obviously a very successful recipe.

pickles7, Jul 16, 6:53am
I found this one too
Bacon, Egg & Mustard Scones .
On someones personal blog.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 6:53am
and so, your point is? The recipe from there was copy and pasted in to this thread from a previous thread on recipes. I don't think there is any mention that they are "my" recipe. In fact, if I remember correctly, at the time they were originally posted I said where they were ffrom and and I think I actually gave a link so the recipe has been on "recipes " for a good couple of years.
Now, on with more scone recipes which is far more interesting than such silly and childish postings. Of course, if you have anything in the scone line to add, feel free.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 6:54am
. meaning?

cookessentials, Jul 16, 7:20am
Not quite so cocky now. My Mum used to do a great fruit scone round which you scored into eight wedges and baked whole, then broke each wedge off, split in half and buttered. Shall look in my hand written book for it.

pickles7, Jul 16, 7:25am
I found it in two tries, others will too.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 7:51am
Fruit Scone Round
2 cups s r flour
1 tsp baking powder
2oz butter
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 cup sultanas or currents
1/2 cup milk plus milk to glaze.

Sift flour and baking powder. Rub in butter till it resembles crumbs. Stir in the sugar and fruit. Add milk and mix to a stiff dough. Turn on to floured surface and knead lightly . Form into a seven inch round and kneading score top to form eight wedges.Bake at 200C for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Cool on wire rack, serve with butter and jam.

daarhn, Jul 16, 8:33am
A fave of mine is to add tin baked beanz and cheese to scone mix. Fab colour and taste. has been a fav with kids and big kids especially when cheese gets it toasty bitz

wheelz, Jul 16, 11:03am
I've a apricot and passionfruit scone recipe I can add tomorrow. off to the sack now.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 11:23pm
Ooh, yes please, sounds delicious.

pickles7, Jul 16, 11:32pm
google is your best friend, heaps in there

wheelz, Jul 17, 12:36am
Apricot and passionfruit scone
2 c SR flour Pinch salt. 1/4 c sugar. 75g butter. 1 c buttermilk.
1/2 c apricot jam. 3 T passionfruit pulp
Make scone dough as per usual way. Roll dough into 28x 19 cm rectangle. Spread with jam and passionfruit pulp. Roll up pinwheel style. 200C 15-20 mins.

cookessentials, Jul 17, 12:39am
Thank you wheelz, it's great to see people sharing some super recipes for everyone to try.

wheelz, Jul 17, 12:40am
These Chocolate and Coffee scones are my sons favourite:
2cSR flour. 30g butter. 125g chocolate. 2T castor sugar.
2 t instant coffee. 1/3 c water. 1 T hot water. 1/2 c milk
Sift flour, rub in butter, stir in chocolate and sugar. Dissolve coffee in hot water, mix in cold water & milk. Shape and brush with milk. 220C 12-15 mins.

cookessentials, Jul 17, 12:48am
Chocolate and coffee are always such a nice combination don't you think? I posted a great recipe in the chocolate thread for Florentine scones that a friend gave me, they are lovely (I have had them at her place but I am yet to make them) They have chocolate and candied fruits in them.

cookessentials, Jul 17, 1:56am
This is the recipe for the Florentine Scones which I have copied from the "Chocolate" thread and pasted here.
Chocolate Florentine Scones
300g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
2 tbsp. caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
30g butter
40g blanched almonds, toasted and finely chopped.
60g chopped red glace cherries
60g glace' apricots ( use ordinary if you cant get glace')
55g glace' pineapple
250ml milk
150g dark chocolate, melted.

Grease a round 20cm sponge sandwich tin. Sift flour, cocoa, sugar and cinnamon into a medium bowl; rub in the butter. Stir in the nuts and fruit. Stir in enough milk to mix to a soft, sticky dough. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until combined. Press dough out to 2.5cm thickness and cut into 5.5cm rounds. Place in prepared pan and bake in a hot oven (about 230-240C) about 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack and spread with melted chocolate on top and swirl with a fork when almost set.

wheelz, Jul 17, 5:37am
Ooh that sounds good. One to print off for my book.

herself, Mar 7, 9:55am
nah, I'd rather have recommendations and recipes from the friendly posters here.