Magical Orange Cake ?

Page 1 / 2
cook, Aug 13, 9:04pm
Can oil be used instead of butter in the magical orange cake recipe!

cook, Aug 13, 9:19pm
I see no reason why you couldnt.oil makes a finer crumb and moister cake.

cook, Aug 13, 11:07pm
I always use oil because I am too lazy to melt the butter.

cook, Aug 14, 12:15am
I have made it with both butter and oil.Both worked wellbut there was a taste difference.

cook, Aug 14, 12:27am
And as a matter of curiosity, jwjmummy, was it a case of butter is best or did you prefer the taste/flavour of the 'with-oil' cake!:-))

cook, Aug 14, 12:59am
I have to admit that the butter tasted best to me but my family didn't really notice so, because I like the quicker option of oil, I would use oil again.

cook, Aug 14, 1:36am
Thanks! Have just put one in the oven using oil so will see how it turns out.

cook, Aug 14, 3:47am
Let us know how it turns out!

cook, Aug 14, 4:00am
Magical orange cake ! Is there a recipe somewhere !

cook, Aug 14, 5:04am
Thanks so much for your feedback jwjmummy - was curious because IMO butter is best but oil does also make nice moist cakes, and when I have used that recipe it has been for the self-saucing pudding variation of it so I'm thinking that maybe next time I should try the pudding made with oil, as a matter of comparison, although we very rarely have dessert nowdays.:-))

cook, Aug 14, 6:08am
245sam - I would be interested to find out if using oil affects the "magic" of a self saucing puding (i.e. the sauce part!)

cook, Aug 14, 8:29am
The sauce of a self saucing pudding has no fat in it.
So should not interfere.

cook, Aug 14, 8:38am
Have used the magical orange cakerecipe when it first came on herefor a self saucing pudding in crockpot, made with butter and it was nice. dont have many puds these days so havent made it for ages.

cook, Aug 14, 9:32am
Thanks Uli

cook, Aug 15, 6:53pm
I have a recipe which is slightly different but has oil in it. It is lovely & moist.
Orange Pulp Cake
2 medium oranges
4 large eggs
2 cups raw sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup white flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cloves
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup coconut
Place whole oranges in a large pot of water. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for about an hour. Drain & cool. Place in processor & process until really pulpy. Set aside. Combine flours, baking soda & cloves, set aside. Process eggs & sugar for 2 minutes. While processor is running, pour in oil slowly. Pulse in the orange pulp, walnuts & coconut alternately with the dry ingreds. Bake @ 180° C in around tin for an hour. Ice with cream cheese icing.
2 cups icing sugar
50gr softened butter
50 gr lite cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla.Beat all these ingreds together until smooth & pale in colour. Spread onto cold cake. Can decorate with orange rind & chopped walnuts. You could leave the icing off if you like because it's very sweet, but you could just sprinkle with icing sugar.

cook, Aug 30, 12:34am
What a fantastic recipe!I made muffins like this last weekend and they were very good but making a loaf would be even better.I have two questions - variations on fruit - what worked well!And does anyone have a guide to the size of loaf tin to use!

cook, Aug 30, 3:25am
make the batter into cupcakes, pour the batter into cupcake cases, freeze and thaw ONE when required.
Makes maybe 12 cup cakes.

cook, Aug 30, 5:43am
sampa wrote:
What a fantastic recipe!I made muffins like this last weekend and they were very good but making a loaf would be even better.I have two questions - variations on fruit - what worked well!And does anyone have a guide to the size of loaf tin to use![/quote
here are some variation from other posters
Tips and Tricks
Strawberry and choc chip
I used the basic recipe and add a 1/2 cup choc chips and a cup of chopped strawberries that I folded through. I added a 1/2 cup milk to replace the orange juice from the fruit.

I put a tin of pears in I strained the juice syrup out into a cup and used the pears as you would the oranges, when it was still hot brush the cake with a little pear syrup

add sultanas to the cake mixture When I made the orange cake I just added sultanas to the cake mixture added them last and just hand mixed them.

The tinned strawberry and chocolate chip combination was excellent!) Just remember to drain all the liquid from the tin and roughly chop the strawberries before proceeding with the recipe. Also added handful each of coconut and chocolate chips, plus I sprinkled the top with more coconut before baking. I have a mini loaf tray so baked the mixture in those. (Makes 6)

1 large apple (I cored it as I wasn't sure how the pips would go) Also added a small handful of sultanas and about 1 tsp cinnamon. baked in my cute 6 mini-loaves tray decorate the tops of each of them with about 4 slices of apple,

I made this today but used 1 banana and 4 fejoa's and its divine, I also made it as a chocolate cake and replaced the fruit with one yoghurt (apricot) and added 2 tablspns of cocoa

two bananas, then after the batter was in the tin, she sprinkled chocolate chips across the top. Pushed some in a little and left the others on top - this made a nice topping. We used some with custard for dessert, and have used Nutella as an icing for the rest

Blood Orange Cake The local store had Blood Oranges for sale so tried the cake with these. For those who don't know what a blood orange is, it is an orange with red (almost like beetroot red) skin and beetroot red flesh. The cake came out a really neat pinky-red colour wuth flecks of red. Tasted wonderful

five figs 1/4 tspoon cinnimon 1/4 tspoon cloves 1/4 tspoon nutmeg everything else the same.

Orange & cream cheese muffins.Tried this recipe as muffins, adding chopped dates and a blob of cream cheese in the middle of muffin before cooking.

Orange and Dates
.YUM! Made this combination last night into muffin size and it was a great success. Just smoosh up about 1/2 a cup or so of dates when you are pulping the orange. Topped off with lemon cream cheese icing

pineapple cake I made it again with a tin of crushed pineapple in juice. Needed a bit of extra flour but it turned out great and didn't even need processing, just mixed in a bowl. Nice as a pudding too.

Made lemon today with 2 lemons - really tart but poked holes all over the cooked cake and poured 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 sugar mixed which was simply divine.

i made this delicious cake 2day. but i doubled the recipe and used 2 c raspberries instead of the orange

GRAPEFRUIT sprinkled a little coconut and cho chips on top before popping it in the oven. Took a little longer than the cooking time suggested though. I used a decent sized yellow coloured grapefruit.

a tin of apricots drained, but with a slurp of the juice back in and a packet of chopped pecans.

Lime and Coconut Cake was absolutely scrummy- used 2 limes instead of orange and added coconut and an extra egg- iced with lime butter icing with v finely grated lime rhind

a block of whittakers white choc and macademia nuts broke it into single pieces and potted it on top of cake then submerged it a bit once it came out of oven and had cooled I grated white choc on top, I finished this off with 2 tins of mandarins on the side with freshly whipped cream, and I have to say that it went down very well \

cook, Aug 30, 5:44am
cont
If you use thin skinned fruit you don't have to peel it, but if like us you have very thick skinned oranges, then peel and use the zest, trim off most of the pith and pulp the rest with the zest.

Make a lovely ring tin cake iced with orange icing and also a loaf left plain.

Served with equal parts of whipped cream and custard and a dolip of orange marmalade.stir it together and it goes all streaky, serve cake warmed
oc
Use the basic recipe and add a 1/2 cup chch ips and a cup of chopped strawberries that I folded through,add a 1/2 cup milk to replace the orange juice from the fruit

Five figs 1/4 tspoon cinnamon 1/4 tspoon cloves 1/4 tspoon nutmeg everything else the same

mini-loaves, muffins

2 limes instead of orange and added coconut and an extra egg- iced with lime butter icing with v finely grated lime rind-

cook, Dec 27, 8:08am
Does anyone have the magical orang cake recipe!The
Ink above isn't working.Thanks :)

cook, Dec 27, 8:11am
Magical Orange Cake

1 whole orange, washed and processed to a pulp,
125g melted butter,
1 cup sugar,
2 med-lge eggs,
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour.

YES, IT"S AS EASY AS IT LOOKS!
If you have a food processor, just throw everything in together and mix till all combined.

Mix together the melted butter and sugar, add egg then orange pulp.
Stir to combine then fold in sifted SR flour.

Pour into lined loaf tin and bake at 180C for approx 35-40 mins or ready when tested with skewer.

cook, Dec 27, 8:11am
Orange Cake Variations
Don't think you'd need to double recipe but if you do, then just cook it at a slightly lower temp and for longer. If it begins to brown too much before it's cooked, just cover the top with a sheet of foil and bake until it's ready when tested with a skewer. This is quite a forgiving sort of recipe! Good luck!

I have made this with about 1/2 cup each of coconut and choc chips added and the result was very scrumptious. Someone even commented that if it was served warm with a dollop of cream and perhaps a a drizzle of orange or chocolate sauce, it waould make the most delicious pud.

you could use marmalade instead, as if you are anything like me there is never an orange when I want one

serve with equal parts of whipped cream and custard and a dollop of orange marmalade.stir it together until it goes all streaky. serve cake warmed up a bit at a fancy dinner. Looks posh and is a hit. wonderful the next day.

covered with cream cheese icing with passionfruit sprinkled on top. unbelievably beautiful.

Lemon pulp the whole lemon just the same. You can also pour lemon syrup over while still hot to make a sticky dessert topping.

have just baked two of the orange loaves. One I did with 1/2 cup chocolate chips added and another with both choc chips and coconut.

Passed this recipe on to my mum who turned it into muffins.

cook, Dec 27, 8:12am
I made it with pulped up peaches and was extremely delicious -in fact you could use a few fruits like feijoas.

Made the orange cake recipe instead used a jar of passionfruit pulp -it was totally superb, hard to stop eating it.

I put a tin of pears in I strained the juice syrup out into a cup and used the pears as you would the oranges, when it was still hot I brushed the cake with a little pear syrup. It made a beautiful pudding cake to go with ice cream - the kids loved it!

made the icing using orange juice and with slivers of orange zest on top.

Years ago I hade a recipe where you whizzed an whole orange with dates and made a loaf, so why not try orange and dates!

apples and sultanas sound nice, with the addition of some spices of course.

The tinned strawberry and chocolate chip combination was excellent! Just remember to drain all the liquid from the tin and roughly chop the strawberries before proceeding with the recipe. Also added a handful each of coconut and chocolate chips, plus I sprinkled the top with more coconut before baking.

cook, Dec 27, 8:12am
Strawberry and choc chip I used the basic recipe and add a 1/2 cup choc chips and a cup of chopped strawberries that I folded through. I added a 1/2 cup milk to replace the orange juice from the fruit. The children have already demolished 1/2 the cake.

I added sultanas to the cake mixture When I made the orange cake I just added saltanas to the cake mixture added them last and just hand mixed them.My son loved the cake he had at least three pieces.

I made this cake again for the 4th time, This time I used the basic mix but put in 2 banana's instead of the orange with only 1 egg and it is just great, lovely light and fluffy mixture.

Mmmm an orange cake with cocoa added to make a chocolate - orange cake.

Three little words. hot with custard.

turned this magical cake into a self saucing pudding in he crockpot with orange sauce sprinkled it with icing sugar and served it with icecream. Yum!

cook, Dec 27, 8:13am
That should give you a start :)

There are more variations of course.