CHICKEN DOESN'T TASTE LIKE CHICKEN ANYMORE

Page 1 / 2
ratherbefishin, Mar 28, 5:02pm
Haven't you noticed it! Either frozen or fresh.the taste has blanded off. I thought it was me till someone else mentioned it! I have to spice it up these days to make chicken taste like chicken.that's a shame eh!

rainrain1, Mar 28, 6:46pm
reminds me of a song

My Uncle used to love me but she died
A chicken ain't chicken till it's lickin good fried

pickles7, Mar 28, 7:45pm
I saw a chicken in the Supermarket freezer that was as big as a small turkey. Scary as to how they get them to that size.

antoniab, Mar 28, 7:46pm
My workmate feels the same way and has just started breeding her own for eating - they DO taste like chicken.

mumstu, Mar 28, 8:36pm
Try the corn fed chickens at that supermarket.They are more expensive but taste like chicken.

vonkrum, Mar 28, 10:58pm
I think they are bland also.Just not the same.Chicken also has started giving me heartburn whenever I eat it.Dont know why.

buzzy110, Mar 28, 11:08pm
Factory raised chicken stopped tasting like anything other than tender cardboard, decades ago. Branch out and really start tasting other foods like white bread, low fat milk, most varieties of potatoes, supermarket squash (this is the pretend buttercup sold during the winter) and any product that uses flavour enhancers and sugar to give it taste.

davidt4, Mar 29, 12:13am
Has anyone spotted Heuvel chickens for sale lately!Organic free range, expensive and delicious.I know they moved their operation to Gisborne a while ago and I haven't seen their products in a supermarket or butchery in ages.

wendalls, Mar 29, 9:56am
Yep. I was very disappointed in a recent roast chicken. Thought it was my Taste buds getting old.

dms01, Mar 29, 10:00am
It's because the commercial chooks are killed at about 40 days of age. They are too young to have developed much flavour.

wishbone66, Mar 29, 11:23am
yep totally agree - no taste.was very disappointed with the chicken I cooked this week and after two days of chicken for dinner and sandwiches, threw it out.was going to put remainder into freezer for later meals but decided not worth it.

resolutionx, Mar 29, 11:45am
Yes if you buy chicken from the supermarket when cooked it is mostly water and tastes watered down.

Chicken from the mad butcher has started to taste that way also so I guess I will have to find a good butcher to get some "real" chicken.

motorbo, Mar 29, 1:38pm
im horrified to say that one day i wanted thighs and my usual free range had run out so i bought from the deli section at the supermarket.i roasted them and when i went to check them cooking theyhad become half the size and were swiming in water/fat.never again i would rather have no meat than eat that .its got to be organic/free range

gardie, Mar 29, 8:15pm
I generally only ever buy thighs these days although the inghams tenderbasted and stuff fresh ones are pretty good.A couple of weeks ago they had some organic thighs on special so they were the same price as the unorganic ones so I bought a couple of packs.They were absolutely divine.I have not tasted anything quite like them - and I'm no organic advocate.The usual price though, is generally out of our reach but I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for specials from now on.

indy95, Mar 31, 5:18am
I haven't seen them down here for some time. I buy only free-range chicken now which is more expensive but I'm quite happy to pay the extra and eat it less often. Last time I ate frozen supermarket chicken it was just plain horrible.

porka1, Mar 31, 7:23am
Just had a dish made by one of our Filipino staff made from end of lay chicken that's about 72 weeks old. Absolutely amazed at how beautifully tender and tasty.These guys can cook from a product that has very little demand that mostly ends up as stock feed as meat and bone meal or composted.

uli, Mar 31, 7:35am
I think you will find that it has little to do with the butcher and all to do with how it was raised.

uli, Mar 31, 7:38am
Inghams has never opted into the non-genetically engineered food the way other chicken raising companies did. So some groups have said that they do feed GE soy and corn as it is cheaper. Personally I have no idea if that is correct or not. Surely by tomorrow morning we will have a report on here in this thread LOL.

I am also very interested if you have any idea what "tenderbasted" actually means gardie. I do not think you have any idea - do you!

porka1, Mar 31, 7:43am
There is no such thing asGE free soy and corn and hasn't been for more than 20 years. Just became impossible to maintain 100 % purity in storage facilities.

uli, Apr 1, 6:11am
Ummm - became impossible!
Or more like - if we mix it all up then we can force Europe to accept the cr@p!

porka1, Apr 1, 7:40am
Maybe that's true but unless in the unlikely scenario you have completely separate and dedicated transport vehicles and storage and conveying equipment to avoid contamination then it becomes impossible to guarantee 100% non GMO product.

kuaka, Apr 1, 8:32am
More like where the butcher has sourced the chicken from, which will be largely dependent on price

uli, Apr 1, 8:45am
This is exactly what we used to have for organic grains.
Now the US and their allies have made that impossible.
There are now no organic non-GE grains available anymore.
Lovely ain't it!

How do you feel about that!
And what are going to do about it here in NZ!

porka1, Apr 1, 9:04am
Maybe thats what you had but you need to get everyone in the chain to do that and logistically it is very nearly impossible human nature being what it is.There are people out there who don't give a toss about Non GMO grain so why would you rely on them to clean out facilities to a standard where no contamination occurs. In a lot of cases only the paper trail is checked which ultimately has no value if someone does not follow protocol properly or simply tries to beat the system.

kay141, Apr 1, 8:20pm
I thought I might leave it up to you. After all, you have told us, many times, we are a uneducated, illiterate and backward nation. Especially in respect of nutrition and health.