Old fashion retro food dinner party

Page 1 / 2
hotstuff111, Mar 22, 7:57am
having a mrs brown retro party tomorrow night looking for some old fashion recipes thought id make pickle onion and chesse and pineapple on a tooth pick.

amyc000, Mar 22, 7:58am
Ooh yeah make sure you put them into a halved upside down grapefruit :)

hotstuff111, Mar 22, 8:01am
i was going to use oranges then i thought how do u make jelly oranges mum used to make them for our parties when we were kids but i thought id make vodka ones

diamondgirl06, Mar 22, 8:12am
Club sandwiches, sausage rolls with tomato sauce, chocolate crackles (made with rice bubbles and served in paper patty cups).

wheelz, Mar 22, 8:21am
Stuffed eggs

pbranch, Mar 22, 8:37am
Devils on horse back, gerhkin and chesse sticks ,chesse log with crackers ,Voluvents, Bread cases with the fish thingy ,scotch eggs, stuffed mushrooms, mini quiches.

munrotti, Mar 22, 9:30am
Shrimp cocktail - lettuce leaf in a wine glass, then shrimps mixed with thousand island dressing

karlymouse, Mar 22, 10:24am
My recollections are Grapefruit Martinque . halved grapefruit with a cherry on the top with a sprinkle of sugar then grilled. the height of sophistication then.

figjamto, Mar 22, 11:00am
Cheese Fondue.very retro.even better if you can find one of the old70s pots to cook it in

lucky1989, Mar 22, 11:19am
traffic light jellies, spider drinks (fizzy with icecream), taties

hotstuff111, Mar 22, 8:12pm
thankslike the spider drinks i even have the old crystal type glass with long tea spoons . and forgot about the shrimp cocktails will do them ass well.

twindizzy, Mar 22, 8:16pm
Meatloaf

dibble35, Mar 22, 9:47pm
'Little boys' AKA cocktail sausages with tom sauce. LOL

horizons_, Mar 22, 11:53pm
devil's on horsebak - prunes wrapped with bacon on a toothpick, then grilled. Crackers(gotta be snax) with cheese and tomato on top. Punch. Salted peanuts, peanuts and raisin mix and ships n maggi onion soup dip.

cgvl, Mar 23, 1:48am
mmm devils on horseback, Angels on horseback are nice too. Oysters wrapped in bacon, held together with a toothpick and grilled or baked.
We love stuffed dates, if you can get them the nice soft fresh turkish dates are best but any will do. split and fill with cream cheese, you can do the same with pieces of celery too. Another celery recipe I have from a 50's cookbook is to stuff the celery with a mix of the following, grated cheese moistened with salad dressing and seasoned with cayenne pepper and mustard,

cgvl, Mar 23, 1:52am
Curried eggs and asparagus rolls are favourites from my childhood, along with pastry cases filled with bacon and egg and for really special occasions my mother used to do some with chopped oysters in a rich white sauce.
Club sandwiches and cream cakes usually lamington types or sponge cake.

roundtable2, Mar 23, 1:59am
Has anyone noticed that Snax crackers are not like they used to be!Got some the other day and they were quite oily, not dry like in the old days, Definately not the same cracker of old

motorbo, Mar 23, 11:28am
interesting the thread header is dinner party and most suggestions were canapes or finger food.retro.coq au vin, beef wellington, meatloaf, shrimp cocktails, crepes suzette, pizzas made with spagetti and tinned pineapple, fish pie.

shop-a-holic, Mar 23, 11:35am
Meatloaf is a dish I turn up on the CD stove.

usualsuspect, Mar 23, 11:35am
tinned pineapple went into everything cause it was the only kind of pineapple we got in nz at the time.ie hawian pizza only in nz do you get pinepple on pizza!hot dogs on a stick with watties tomato sauce L&P lemonade instant pudding pav with kiwifruit

twindizzy, Mar 23, 6:29pm
Parsley!On, over and next to everything

surelyj1, Mar 23, 7:09pm
How about casserole of some kind!Chicken was flash back then.Had a flatmate who always emptied the food kitty on her cooking night making chicken casserole and invited her (then) fiance to dinner. It hadmushrooms and cream in it and was always served with mashed potatoes and carrots. Pretty nice.Very generous she was.

surelyj1, Mar 23, 7:13pm
Oh darn just realised the dinner was last night!Oh well, maybe I'll make it for old times sake.

lindar, Mar 23, 7:38pm
Pizza made with , onions, bacon, tinnedspaghetti,and cheese on top

guest, Jan 11, 3:08pm
Thanks for contnibutirg. It's helped me understand the issues.