Goat meat

Page 2 / 2
toffeey, Mar 23, 7:35pm
Haha I remember Dad cooking goat for us, telling us we were in for a treat. He had boarded with a Greek family that cooked it all the time and he loved it. I don't think his Greek family used anything like the smelly old billy goat he shot and cooked for us. It was utterly inedible as it tasted just like it smelled. We never had goat served again.

I suspect the trick is to cook em before they mature too much.

beaker59, Mar 23, 10:26pm
Exactly Toffeey just like sheep meat, lambs are young, hogget are a bit older and Mutton are the older ewes never have I seen Mature Rams for sale for eating.

Having said that I have noticed that the goat herds have what could only be described as nearly mature males which can be reasonable eating I have had a few of them, I am told some cultures prefer them. I was asked specifically for one once by a Filipino friend he also requested the head as well.

uli, Mar 24, 4:07am
I have cooked an 8 year old billy goat without any problems. The visitors thought it was beef LOL.

However the breed is important. Any fibre goats are very good eating and so are nubians, toggenburgs and british alpine (which are all milk breeds).

However never ever try to eat a Saanen (those big white ones) - even the females are smelly as - and will ruin even a curry!I once had to eat one young female saanen - she was only 10 months old - and the meat had to be cooked with vinegar, garlic, chilli and ginger to be edible!

toffeey, Mar 24, 7:02am
I hope Dad doesn't see your post Uli. I'm not up for another attempt!

uli, Mar 24, 7:30am
If he can distinguish between the breeds you are safe toffeey.

uli, Mar 24, 7:31am
If you see a white skin laying around - then go and run LOL :)

beaker59, Mar 24, 10:55am
NZ wild goats are of pretty mixed geneology however they do have a fair bit of angora in most areas. Never seen a particularly saanen looking goat. Most of them are fairly small too though I have heard that may be changing in some northern herds as a few of the big bodied African boer! bucks may have been released into the herds.

I too reckon the billies can be OK however most hunters are put off the gutting and skinning process by the smell, note usually there is a choice of what to take home for meat so the billies are last choice. But a farmed animal is always going to be more tender than the wild version.