Goat meat

Page 1 / 2
jennyfenny1, Mar 20, 4:57am
Has anyone successfully cooked goat meat before! What does it taste like! I saw several different cuts of it available at Pak n Save today, and I am keen to try it for something different.

davidt4, Mar 20, 5:26am
The quality of goat meat seems to vary a lot, and I've had extremely inconsistent results.The flavour is similar to lamb, the meat has very little fat,and the texture is more close-grained than lamb.I use goat leg and shoulder meat to make Indian and Malaysian curries.I've tried grilling marinated loin chops but they were very tough.I also roasted a leg of goat once and it was completely inedible; even after days of marination and hours of slow cooking we couldn't get a knife into it.

Probably the best way to try it is to make either a slow-cooked curry like Rogan Josh, or a casserole with onions and potatoes similar to an Irish stew.

I think the main problem is the variability of the meat.

Good luck!Do give it a try.

doug57, Mar 20, 5:34am
My son [18] buys the packs that often have three really meaty steaks [with small bone in them].you have to go through ALL the packs to find these sometimes! He throws various spices on them, wraps them in tin foil and chucks them in an oven dish 180 for about 20 mins, rests them for 5 mins and always pronounces them to be delish!

nauru, Mar 20, 6:49am
Cook the goat meat as a curry/stew in a crockpot or a pressure cooker if you have one and it should be tender.
I rememberyears ago when we lived in Jamaica, goat meat was very cheap, 2/3 dollars for a leg.I tried to slow roast a goat leg and like david4 said it was very tough.We often made goat curry though and it was always nice, I cooked it in my oldpressure cooker and the meat almost fell to pieces. This is a recipe that I used but I toned it down as we don't like it too hot.

Jamaican Goat Curry
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 Tbsp curry powder (more if you like it hot)
1 Tbsp jamaican allspice
3 pounds goat
Salt
2 onions, chopped
2 Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and chopped
A 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1 head of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 can coconut milk
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 Tbsp dried thyme
3-4 cups water
4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

Cut the meat into large chunks. Salt everything well and set aside for about 30 minutes. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Mix in 2 tablespoons of the curry powder and heat until fragrant. Pat the meat dry and brown well. Do this in batches and don’t overcrowd the pot. Remove from pot and set aside. Add the onions and peppers to the pot and sauté for about 5 mins, stirring from time to time, until the onions just start to brown.Add the ginger and garlic, mix well and sauté for another 2 minutes.Put the meat back into the pot, along with any juices left in the bowl. Mix well. Pour in the coconut milk and tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of the curry powder. Stir to combine.Add coconut milk, water and the thyme. Bring to a simmer and let it cook until the meat is falling-apart tender, which will take 2-3 hours, longer if you have a mature goat meat.Add the potatoes and cook until potatoes are cooked through. Season with salt to taste.
It is very good served with Jamaican rice and peas (a coconut rice with kidney beans).

pbranch, Mar 20, 8:47am
delicious roasted like lamb incert a cinnanon stick in meat , toast and grind cumin ,Add S&P rub all on the roast and bake like you would a roast .
Goat tastes like hogget has a gamey flavour, Farmed Goat tastes like Lamb has very mild flavour , i prefer the non farmed as i like the matured flavour .

strebor1, Mar 20, 8:50am
I really love it. Yes I only use it in casseroles and curry, much like hogget, but different, yes that is clear as mud isn't it! But try it, and cook it with LOVE, i.e. slowly!

arabelle, Mar 20, 8:57am
I dont like curry, so roast mine, but put bacon strips over to add the moisture and fat needed, slow oven and it just falls off the bone.and dont forget to let it sit for a bit. makes lamb and beef a 3rd rate meat

pussy01, Mar 20, 9:10am
i culled goats for doc for several years and they are the nicest meat out there.roasted in th camp oven over an open fire with all the veges are a memory i'll never forget.

mwood, Mar 20, 9:28am
Feral goat can be tough - slow roasted farmed goat is like lamb - very similar but stays moister for later cold cuts.

lythande1, Mar 20, 6:52pm
I always wondered why recipes seemed to consist of curry.
So I tried goat - not curry.
It isn't like lamb. More like mutton but even that isn't quite the same.
It's probably what dog tastes like, what you'd expect from an animal that eats anything.
Not very nice really - hence the curry - it disguises it.

pickles7, Mar 20, 7:39pm
You are up with it. We had a four milking goats a few years ago,we raised the kids for meat, after the second year we stopped putting any effort into them at all.

anne1955, Mar 20, 7:42pm
Love it but have never seen it for sale in a supermarket sadly mind you probably like buying rabbit 19.95 each or more now way.But if I can get it free I love it.And goat I love as well roasted or cassarole, just treat like mutton I guess a bit slower and longer than lamb to cook but young goat leg roasted against lamb any time.And we should be able to get wallaby as well there are so many around the Ashburton area running a muck like the rabbits.Lythande1 I have never eaten dog or horse but know my father did in ww11 and said they where both nice.I have tried pussom but it to me was a bit tasteless.

goatchickens, Mar 20, 7:53pm
Unless you can guarantee that the animal was quite young when killed (4-5 months, or just at weaning), the meat needs to be handled like game meat.Well-seasoned and slow cooked.

We do our own goat meat, both young meat and older meat.Milk-fed goat meat is tender and succulent and I just roast it with rosemary, garlic and olive oil or sage and red onions, and older meat is either curried, stewed in the crockpot.12 months+ gets made into lovely, spicy sausages by our small goods butcher.

lythande1, Mar 21, 12:59am
Horse isn't anything like Goat.
It's sweet.
I said goat is probably like dog- because they both eat anything.

uli, Mar 21, 6:02am
I cook goat meat since over 20 years - both wild and my own.
It tastes pretty much like lamb but is not so fatty.
What so you want to know!

uli, Mar 21, 6:04am
Goats do not eat meat - they are vegetarians.
Dogs do eat meat - they would not touch grass or leaves.
not sure what you want to say here!

beaker59, Mar 21, 9:38am
I love goat meat. Well selected wild goats are as good as any other meat. If you aren't into curries then roast it .

I use a covered roasting dish and add a large sprig of Rosemary some garlic cloves and half a cup of water roast for 3 hours at 180degrees take the lid off the dish for the last hour to allow the meat to brown up a bit.

Young Nannies are best but even the Bucks are OK if they aren't all stinky (Which is only the older dominant ones)

dibble35, Mar 21, 7:04pm
I think the supermarkets need to be a bit more helpful/onto it.They need to label their goat as they would sheep. is it the equivalent of a lamb, hogget, mutton then we would know how to cook it to get the best result.
I to have bought goat a few times in the past. only ever seen it at Pak n save Pukekohe, have never seen it uphere in Whangarei. Had it as a curry delish, grilled the chops, like eating shoe leather, dogs enjoyed it!

dibble35, Mar 21, 7:41pm
Shhhh, dont encourage her/him, you know they never have anything constructive to say, only negative usually. And psssstttttt -my dogs eat grass when they can get it.:-) they love the oat grass/greenery that comes up from the green manure crop I plant in my vege garden. Wouldnt have anyleft if I let them

mumstu, Mar 21, 8:52pm
Casserole it.We used to eat it a lot and found this is the best way to eat it.

village.green, Mar 21, 10:11pm
The meat I've been buying from New World is quite gamey tasting. Long and slow would be my recommendation.

antoniab, Mar 22, 4:49am
We LOVE goat meat! Only ever had stuff that my husband has shot though (never bought it from the supermarket). We eat a lot of curries so use it in them or in place of lamb in casserole type dishes. Such an underrated meat in NZ culture, and even though Ive only ever eaten wild goat Ive never found it gamey, even when used in a basic casserole with little other than S&P added.

beaker59, Mar 22, 5:47am
But then Antoniab most NZ wild goats are shot on farmland or the edge of farmland where they feed on land that also produces export Quality lamb and beef. So there is no reason why they wouldn't be as good. Your Husband like myself has no doubt learnt how to select the ideal eating animals in a herd so you get prime meat from prime locations.

Something else I do with wild goat is mince it. Makes beautiful mild flavoured easily spiced patties and takes on flavours of herbs and garlic well. Often peoples first experience of goat meat is as meat patties at my BBQ's which they almost always fall in love with.

pbranch, Mar 22, 8:46am
Pank`n`save in Henderson Lincoln road and Mt roskill carry Goat meat and label it , there is a large ethnic community that grew up with goat & lamb more readily than beef .

uli, Mar 23, 4:23am
Yes they would as in the wild they would eat the contents of the stomach of the vegetarians they hunt - together with the meat and organs. A bit like us - meat and three veg :)