Old fashioned braised lamb chop recipe

jhough, Mar 17, 11:44pm
Does anyone know a recipe for braised shoulder chops! My grandmother ued to make a delicious one that was sweet tasting. Thanks!

dbab, Mar 18, 4:15am
I'll look forward to replies on this thread.

kaddiew, Mar 18, 4:35am
This one from the 70s - not for the purists, and definitely sweet tasting! but very tender (and fatty). No actual recipe:

Brown a few shoulder chops and sliced onions, place in casserole dish, pour over a packet of Maggi brown onion soup mixed with a cup or so of cold water and a generous dollop of mint jelly or sauce. Cover and cook in slow oven for .I'm guessing. 1.5 - 2 hours.

And if you're really adventurous, throw in some large chunks of potato. :)

cgvl, Mar 18, 4:38am
there is one in the diabetic baking thread I'll bump it for you. It is my grandmothers one so probably from much earlier than the 70's
Its post #34 page 1

petal1955, Mar 18, 4:42am
Here are two recipes which my mum used to make

Swwet & Sour Chops (Maggi)

6 lamb shoulder chops
1 pkt oxtail soup
2 TBsp brown sugar
2 TBsp vinegar
2 TBsp tomato sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp mustard powder (or made mustard)
2 TBsp sherry
1 cup water
1 red pepper sliced(optional)

Trim fat from chops abd place in a casserole dish
Combined remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the red pepper.Pour over chops, cover and leave to marinate in fridge for 2-8 hours (overnight is best).Stir in red pepper. Cover.

Cook in preheated oven 170 C for 1- 1.1/2 hours or until lamb tender.Stir once during cooking.

Sweet & sour Chops (4 Square Book)
1& 1/2 lbs mutton chops
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBsp flour
1 tsp sugar
3 TBsp tomato sauce
2 TBsp worcestershire sauce
1 TBsp vinegar
1 cup water.

Remove excess fat from chops.Combine flour, sugar, salt and pepper.Roll chops in this mixture and place in casserole dish.Combine tomato and worcestershire sauces, vinegar and water and pour over chops.Place in a moderate oven 180 C and cook approx 2 hours until tender.

markhough, Mar 18, 5:21am
Thank you! All very inspiring!