Old fashioned scales need metric weights

magenta, Apr 25, 12:30am
I have a beautiful old Avery set of scales which I use for the kitchen.I was wondering if anyone stocks metric weights for these old fashioned scales as it is a pain having to constantly go from imperial to metric weights. I know it would be easier to buy new scales, but I like the look of the old ones.

chrisynz, Apr 25, 12:45am
u can google this for converstion

wasgonna, Apr 25, 1:34am
Work out conversion for the weights you have then paint the gram equivalent on the bottom of the corresponding weights. This webbie can be used to convert ... http://www.onlineconversion.com

elliehen, Apr 25, 3:10am
Brilliant lateral thinking, wasgonna :)

punkinthefirst, Apr 25, 3:11am
I have a set of those balance scales which I inherited from my mother, who inherited them from HER mother. . They are the most accurate scales I've ever used, and can weigh up to 14 Lb so I'll be keeping them! Weights can be bought, but a full set is expensive..... and only to be found overseas (so far as I can see) .
I just use my old recipe books, or convert the newer ones to Imperial.

davidt4, Apr 25, 3:21am
Get a small calculator and work it out.16oz (1 lb) = 454g

magenta, Apr 25, 3:51am
I can work the conversions out, but it is a pain when I am in a hurry and kids are not that good at it. Miss 9 was almost going to put 250g butter in the biscuits when it should have been 125gmI will do what you say wasgonna and write metrics on bottom in Sharpie. Very clever, thankyou!

knowsley, Apr 25, 4:50am
I did see a set in Moore Wilson but they weren't cheap - from memory over the $100 mark. Worth the investment long term though...

cookessentials, Apr 25, 5:17am
Magenta, yes, they are available and have been sold here on Trademe before.

wasgonna, Apr 26, 1:34am
Work out conversion for the weights you have then paint the gram equivalent on the bottom of the corresponding weights. This webbie can be used to convert . http://www.onlineconversion.com

punkinthefirst, Apr 26, 3:11am
I have a set of those balance scales which I inherited from my mother, who inherited them from HER mother. . They are the most accurate scales I've ever used, and can weigh up to 14 Lb so I'll be keeping them! Weights can be bought, but a full set is expensive. and only to be found overseas (so far as I can see) .
I just use my old recipe books, or convert the newer ones to Imperial.

knowsley, Apr 26, 4:50am
I did see a set in Moore Wilson but they weren't cheap - from memory over the $100 mark. Worth the investment long term though.