Do you use your pressure cooker

Page 1 / 2
gerry64, Feb 15, 1:01am
Have been out looking for a slow cooker and sales lady was very helpful but was steering me towards a multi cooker that had a pressure cooker function as well - My Mum used to use her pressure cooker all the time and I know there was a resurgence last year in their popularity - but have they become one of those quirky appliances that disappear into the back of the cupboard- opinions would be appreciated

retired, Feb 15, 1:55am
I tend to use my pressure cooker more in the winter for soups.Saying that I prefer pickled pork and silverside more in the pressure cooker than my slow cooker.My daughter in law has one of those "all in one" appliances, don't know what she thinks of it!My new pressure cooker is very quiet, does not hiss like the old one!

gerry64, Feb 15, 2:25am
Cheers retired sounds as though your Dil has the type the sales lady was trying to sell me

lindylambchops1, Feb 15, 3:49am
I love my multi cooker.it slow cooks, it sautes & it pressure cooks too, so very useful.

tiogapass1, Feb 15, 4:02am
Love my pressure cooker.Great for slow cooked curries, pot roast, corned beef, rice, risotto.

julie28, Feb 15, 4:13am
I have one of the multi cookers and love it

gerry64, Feb 15, 4:21am
thanks - sounds like the multi cooker should get the tick

uli, Feb 15, 4:29am
Ummm - how do you slow cook at 115 degrees C!
Isn't the idea of a pressure cooker to cook extremely FAST!

gerry64, Feb 15, 5:09am
julie which brand do you have

sarahb5, Feb 15, 5:30am
I had a pressure cooker as a wedding present 27 years ago - the first year we were married I left hubby to cook the Christmas puddings and he blew it up so I haven't had one since then and nor have I missed it.I also sold my slow cooker as no-one here liked the food that came out of it - and it wasn't my cooking, we just felt the food was too "wet/mushy" and lacking in flavour.

dbab, Feb 15, 6:43am
Me too.
I have a Breville Fast and Slow Cooker.
It has the saute button so you can brown things first, or thicken something easily at the end of cooking.

wendalls, Feb 15, 6:59am
Well according to the american literature from pickles link, pressure cooking is the only safe way to do our preserving to guarantee we dont kill someone with botulism. Of note was some statistcs which gave auckland the highest rate of botulism spores in our soil compared with other cites around the world.

figjamto, Feb 15, 9:15am
Yes.mainly in winter.I do a big pot oflovely stew, and freeze some of it

gerry64, Feb 15, 9:16am
Dbab do you use the slow cooker function

dbab, Feb 15, 9:29pm
Yes, I do. it is really easy to use, and makes really nice corned beef.
I have made a few of the recipes from the book that came with it to get used to using it.

gerry64, Feb 15, 11:20pm
cheers dbab - will go out this morning and see who will do the best deal

gerry64, Feb 16, 12:26am
mwood I am in Oz - miss briscoes over here

denzie, Feb 16, 1:03am
I have a brilliant old Hawkins model.I use it for silverside, beetroot and when pushed for time large quantities of potatoes. I wouldn't be without it. See if you can buy an old Hawkins on Trademe as you can still get parts for them or you could a year ago. . The only thing that has gone wrong with mine in forty years is the seal and valve. Both inexpensive to replace.I also used the heavy bottom saucepan part (without the lid ) for making curries.

gerry64, Feb 16, 2:13am
wow denzie that is certainly tried and true
will check that product review out mwood

camper18, Feb 16, 2:46am
Bought a nice new 'Grosvener' stainless p/cooker from Briscoes ½ price ($99 ) sale at xmas and its brilliant even tho I loved my old 'Prestige' which I had purchased in 1976.

wendalls, Feb 16, 3:23am
Camper 18. I have a grosvenor egg poacher and its lid knob fell off unable to be screwed back on. It was barely used. I glued it and it has worked so far.I wonder if they may have used some product that is not heat resistant. Keep your receipt in case.

gerry64, Feb 17, 4:13am
Look forward to your product review mwood -too hot over here today to go out shopping

artkat, Feb 17, 7:44am
I have one and it is great. The recipe book is very ho hum though. this site has some awesome stuff to cook http://www.hippressurecooking.com/

pamellie, Feb 17, 6:29pm
I have a fagor pressure cooker which I use for all sorts of things, I certainly wouldn't be without it now.
I also have a slow cooker which is nearly redundant now as I find the food is never as tasty as it should be.

gerry64, Feb 17, 8:08pm
Pamellie - what would you still do in your slow cooker that you wouldnt use the pressure cooker for!