Chicken in a kilwell 10 ltr smoker

omaria, Feb 15, 2:53am
Has anyone done this and how do you do it! We just purchased this smoker and would like to experiment with chicken as I can mess that up cheaper than fish LOL, I have all the sawdust andmeths, that I need. Chicken is thawing.

fisherlures, Feb 17, 12:45pm
I like to open it out flat by cutting down backbone. you need to marinate your chicken overnight.Then roast it in the oven till 4/5ths done. You can not successfully smoke raw chicken in that kind of smoker.Now take your sawdust and mix in some chopped Tarragon leaves
hint; do not put your smoker on top of anything you value as it will get burnt. Best use your bbq burner and ixnay on the meths and stand.Spay the roasted chook with some olive oil, sprinkle of salt and little white pepper. and into smoker for 15 odd mins , ensuring the lid is on well. DON'T peek or look.
Turn the burners off and let the chook "rest" with the lid still on.While this is happening plate up your sides . remove chook and voila.slice, rip apart. your choice :}. Timing in smoker all depends on size of chook.
Once you have done your first. make a note of its condition. and time in smoker to achieve best results for next time.

beaker59, Feb 18, 12:27am
Agree with Fisher on the fact you can't cook a chook in one of those his method with the precook looks like a good way to go. I do mine in my Kettle BBQ with a manuka chip smoke for 2 hours thats delicious.

sit1, Feb 18, 1:56am
This is how I do mine too. Lemon and herb/garlic rub, and a good basting at half time. I butterfly my chicken which reduces cooking time.

shop-a-holic, Feb 18, 3:39am
I cook and smoke my fresh chickens in your type of smoker all the time.Can even fit up to 3 of them in there.

Line the smoker with tin foil, as I find this aids in cleaning up; then place the rack in.
As everyone has said, split your chicken down the spine and lay flat.
I soak my Manuka sawdust in half a bottle of Stones Green Ginger wine for a couple of hours beforehand.The soaked sawdust goes on top of the foil, and under the rack where the chickens will be laid out.

Typical cooking time will be two full bowls of meths.Check it after 30 mins to see if the bowl of meths is spent and out.Refil meths bowl and refire.If its windy, the meths burns quicker.
Check if the chicken is cooked at 1hour.An unmarinated chick may take 1hr 15mins.

shop-a-holic, Feb 18, 11:26am
Gets better than that mwood.Try soaking sawdust in a can of beer and smoking fresh sausages.It's like the Berlin wall falling down again.

Everyone's eyes are open to see what was on the other side!

fisherlures, Feb 19, 10:59pm
The meths burners usually last 10-15 mins at most. so your saying you have to fill them5 times.!and then you want to let the smoke out at 1 hour.!why not just place on bbq burner and let it go for required time.And i wouldn't trust chicken being "cooked" in a portable smoker.