Prune scones

dayna19, Feb 23, 11:02pm
Has anyone ever made prune scones, I can make cheese scones quite nicely but never can make scones with fruit ie sultanas etc, have a bag of prunes that I want to use up and thought of scones. Has anyone got a good recipe!

dayna19, Feb 23, 11:28pm
Thanks for that but unfortunately I don't have some of the ingredients but I will def write that one down for another day. Hubby and I feel like scones but don't want to use the cheese would rather try the prunes looks like il have to do a hit or miss with them

harrislucinda, Feb 24, 12:10am
justuseassultanasbutcutupandaddsugar

indy95, Feb 24, 1:01am
Perhaps you could adapt this recipe, dayna. It makes a lovely loaf or teabread/cake - not quite sure what to call it. I drizzle some lemon flavoured icing over it or it also very nice sliced and buttered as for scones which is why I thought you might find it useful.

Prune, Lemon and Walnut Bread

100g prunes, freshly made tea, 2 T golden syrup, 150ml milk, 250g SR flour or plain and 1.5 t baking powder, 1 t cinnamon, 175g soft brown sugar, 75 g walnut pieces, rind and juice of 2 lemons, 1 egg.
Optional Icing - icing sugar, 1 or 2 T butter and lemon juice.

Cover prunes with tea and simmer for 30 mins. Drain off liquid, cool and chop. Prunes won't be completely soft but aren't meant to be for this recipe.
Warm golden syrup and milk together just until combined then cool. Mix flour and baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, walnuts, prunes and lemon rind then beat in milk mixture and egg. Pour into a greased and lined loaf tin and bake at 170C for about 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.