Old fashioned mince on toast. Any recipes?

nashipear, Feb 24, 3:45am
the old sloppy style mince with carrot and onion in it. Would love to know how to make it

cottagerose, Feb 24, 4:18am
I cheat and use frozen mixed veges but carrot and onion is fine too.
crumble mince with your hands so you dont end up with clumps.
Cover with water, add salt and about a dessert spoon of curry (just to add flavour, not to be hot)
Just boil for an about an hour and thicken with a little flour and water (previously mixed well)
Cornflour makes it jellified
I also add a little bit of pumpkin I have cooked in the microwave and mashed.

michellew2k, Feb 24, 4:22am
brown the mince and onion first.add seasoning,water and veges, thicken once cooked.

shellz213, Feb 24, 4:31am
I also add some tomato sauce, worcestshire sauce and beef stock to the mince while it's cooking on the stove top.

stevee6, Feb 24, 4:33am
We add a tin of tomatoes.

michellew2k, Feb 24, 4:35am
I cheat and use the watties cottage piemix

rumbledoll, Feb 24, 4:35am
Brown off mince and onion.
Add, worcester sauce, soy sauce, salt, pepper, beef stock cubes, mixed vege.
Add water just to 3/4 of the mixture. simmer for 15 or so mins.
Thicken with little flour mixed with water till a good consistency.
Eat with mashed spuds.
Even better the next day on your toast.yummm.

fifie, Feb 24, 4:37am
Whatever brew you make its all good, even better next day on hot buttered toast.

figjamto, Feb 24, 4:53am
Yummmmm Mince on Toast.that and cheese on Toast.the ultimate in comfort food in my book

shellz213, Feb 24, 5:04am
Mince on toast was (and still is) one of my favourite childhood meals.My grandma used to make it for me when I used to go and stay with her and she would have it gently simmering away on the stove most of the day, it was so good.It is those things that make memories, my grandma passed away seven years ago.

nashipear, Feb 24, 5:20am
thanks everyone. Got the mince on now. Haven't had this in about 15 years so pretty excited! Definitely will have leftovers on toast tomorrow. Tonight will have with some mash and corn. Just like mum used to make.

camper18, Feb 24, 8:43pm
A good pinch of mixed herbs or thyme adds a lovely savoury smell and taste. Like when you walk down the street around lunch time and get a lovely 'whiff' from a nearby resaurant. Mmmmm

kaddiew, Feb 24, 8:51pm
That's how I do it too, but with fresh carrots and only frozen peas.Leftovers on toast last night - real comfort, childhood food for me.

dwyn5, Feb 24, 9:42pm
I like to thicken the mince and veges with a sachet of rich dark gravy mix and also a hearty beef cup of soup mix in with a little bit of flour and mix with water.Very tasty!Don't season with salt if using these as I think they have enough in the mixes.

dwyn5, Feb 24, 9:48pm
A funny story about mince "like mother used to make".My sister in her teens hated it.Some time after she was married Mum found her in the butchers one day buying mince.Mum said "I thought you hated mince" The answer "It's cheap Mum!"I wish we could say the same today!