How to feed a person on $8 per day? Suggestions

uli, Feb 23, 10:28pm
Being diabetic I would try veges and eggs, mince or chicken.

Or the cheaper types of fish like trevally - even tinned salmon and salads would be great.

I think too much carbs will not work so well with diabetes, so lots of toast, peas, beans and pasta might not be a good idea. As is lots of cheap fruit.

If you stay with veges in season and some good protein at every meal you should be fine.

davidt4, Feb 23, 10:39pm
Meatballs with whatever veges are in season.Kofta made with minced lamb, served with a seasonal salad. Eggs are cheap, even free range ones, so omelette, frittata, egg onion and lettuce salad are all good options.In winter make stews with gravy beef or lamb shoulder chops, casserole of stewing hen.Make chicken stock with cheap stewing hens and freeze as the basis of nourishing vegetable soups.

lythande1, Feb 23, 11:39pm
$8! I think you're looking at it wrong.you don't have to feed them rubbish, just shop better.
Supermarkets are the pits.most things can be bought cheaper elsewhere - depending where you live.
Make things yourself from scratch, use your vege garden.

uli, Feb 23, 11:40pm
Or start digging it :)

dibble35, Feb 24, 3:54am
I had to do this for a few months, and it was hard, but doable. Me and 2 dogs, 1 catliving on about $60 a week. Luckily i've always kept the freezer full with meat that I buy when its reduced to clear or a good special, so I didnt really have to buy any meat. All the treats went, and I lived on good basic food. Toast for breakfast, sandwichs or leftovers for lunch, I used all the veg out of the garden and nothing got wasted. This was when I lost my job so I had plenty of time on my hands, I did all my own bakinginstead of buying muesli bars, even made bread every few days, dont know if it was any cheaper than buying a loaf, but it was a nice treat to eat it hot out of the breadmaker/oven

akalea, Feb 24, 8:03am
Suggestions would be welcome.This person is diabetic but will eat anything.

nelly116, Feb 24, 8:07am
eggs on toastspaghetti bolognesecottage pie vegetable stirfry make and freeze meals that can feed for 3 or 4 dinners and lunches

frances1266, Feb 24, 8:27am
Porridge or toast with banana, avocado, tomato etc for breakfast.
Make a large pot of veg soup and freeze individual servings for lunch to have with a wholemeal bread roll.Alternatively baked beans, or spag for lunch with fruit. Soup made from split peas is cheap and good also.
Shepherds pie, stir fry, dahl or a dish made with red lentils which are cheap.Baked potato and coleslaw.Pulses are cheap, healthy and can be made into many delicious meals.TVP mince is cheap and can be made to taste like mince meat.Pasta with a sauce or rice dishes.
In the tasty vegetarian thread there is a recipe for oat sausages which is as cheap as chips and very tasty.I will bump the thread up for you.

dilligaf_dah, Feb 24, 9:20am
8.00 a day thats 54.00 a week for 1 person is heaps.
I managed on 25.00 for nearly 2 yearsjust eating the basics. but healthy
secret is to cook for 3 or 4 meals at a time and freeze.Freeze the bread and take out as many slices as needed for the day.Fruit was the hardest but in season very cheap. Made lots of meat balls, patties, loafs, and mince with different ingredents so it was different each time.
Bought as much reduced as possible and specials only.Now manage on 40.00 a week

kob, Feb 24, 8:52pm
check out ''who needs a budget me'' thread heaps of already planned menus and costing in there already for well under $8 for main & a dessert

lilyfield, Feb 25, 8:45am
I manage on 40 $ just fine.

figjamto, Feb 25, 9:16am
Bake, make your own bread, start a veg/herb garden, buy stuff on special, or from farmers markets, cook lots and freeze

kiwitel, Feb 25, 6:38pm
There is a great article in one of the latest woman's weekly magazine. The lady hardly spends anything!
Edited to say its the feb 25th edition pg 30- she spends $35 a week- and she has kids.
This is for all her groceries- not just food. She makes her own washing powder, dishwashing, toothpaste etc., She must be a bit like Wendyl Nissen the green goddess.
Great cleaning recipes here: http://www.wendylsgreengoddess.co.nz/recipes/cleaning/

beaker59, Feb 25, 11:44pm
Buy a 500g packet of dried chickpeas soak over night in water change water then cook in slow cooker for about 4 hours until soft, pack into jars with juice and store in fridge. can be used to extend and fortify any meal from salad to stew delicious and nutritious also good for diabetics as very low GI and high fibre.

uli, Feb 26, 1:53am
I think you all have forgotten that "this person is diabetic" - so the cheap carbs like bread, pasta, rice etc do not apply.

frances1266, Feb 26, 2:16am
Arent wholegrain carbs ok for people with diabetes!

kay141, Feb 26, 2:22am
All the diabetics I have met had some carbs on their diet sheets. It was a limited amount and wholegrains were recommended.

uli, Feb 26, 8:09am
After a long discussion with our local diabetes nurse I was told (and I have posted this on here before) that diabetic patients are told to eat carbs because they are all on medication - I was told that NO diabetic person in NZ is NOT on medication!

So they need to eat carbs at every meal because otherwise they will get low blood sugar levels because of the medication. Which is obviously dangerous. Especially if they drive a car .

So if a diabetic person (and I am talking of D2 here) would really stick to a low carb diet they would NOT need any medication and would not have any side effects. However since people "cheat" and not tell their doctors what they REALLY eat, this has been discontinued.

So now everyone will be medicated as doctors cannot rely on their patients to tell them the truth. This is what happens out there . if you like it or not . this is the TRUTH frances1266.

frances1266, Feb 26, 8:52am
Type II diabetes is a curable disease.

uli, Feb 27, 3:52am
Wow - when I posted the same not long ago there were lots of posts saying I am insane . how do you get away with it frances1266!

kay141, Feb 27, 3:58am
That item is very old news. She wrote a book "Pigs' Tits and Parsley" about it in 2009.

uli, Feb 27, 4:00am
Glad you knew it before us all kay - and thanks to kiwitel to post that link for the rest of us.

kay141, Feb 27, 4:08am
You couldn't resist, could you! I'm flattered you follow my posts so assiduously. I think you may have missed some though.

A book that was published4 years ago and now becomes an article in NZWW shows how up-to-date the gossip mags are. According to the articles published when she the book came out, she bought a house from her savings. Does the article mention that or does it read as though it is a new thing!

uli, Feb 27, 7:24am
Not quite sure what you are trying to say here kay: ".when she the book came out, she bought a house from her savings."the book bought a house - for whom! The writer maybe! And what were the savings!